What's new

New to growing a mustache

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Some very good ideas here.
Let it grow out. Long( as long as you can handle it).
Getting a comb and keeping it neat as it grows out👍
Try different styles, why you need it “long”, to see how you like it.
Remember, it’s your mustache.
Since @JayShaves0223 has asked to partake of our sage advice and wisdom I prefer to believe it's "our" mustache now. Obviously he gets the final say.

I wore a moustache for about a decade.

My best advice is to keep it moisturized 'somehow'. Be it balms, oils or whatever. That'll help keep the itch down.

If you keep it trimmed over your top lip, you'll have a few less issues with eating your own hair.
Freshly cut moustache hair can be rather pokey, so you may notice if you purse your lips, you stab yourself just under the lower lip.

Handlebars are really annoying to try to grow. They take way longer.

And as mentioned...just let it grow.
It's inevitably going to be unsatisfactory before it gets to a point before you can trim it how you want.

strop

Now half as wise
The first few weeks will be, to put it mildly, trying and frustrating. You need several weeks to let it grow to see what you've got to find the style that works for you. Once you do start to trim, be very judicious. Although I'm trimming a handlebar, my rule is to never trim off more than 1/8 only on one side. But I think it can apply to any stache. Wait a few days before deciding if it is enough or if the other side needs something. It is amazing how different it can look day to day. There are many who have ended up cutting it all away just to try to make it look even!

It depends on what style you're wanting to grow. If you're going for the handlebars/kaiser/walrus type 'stache, resist the temptation to trim. You'll have the awkward moustache growth faze but that'll pass.
Once you start trimming it sets you back so much when you need to let it grow to get it's fullness. Instead, get some good waxes, Captain Fawcett's is my favourite but there's lots of real good waxes out there, and wax it every morning and multiple times throughout the day(they're small enough they're not very noticeable in your pocket.)
If you do need to start trimming(the ends), I'd recommend not doing it with wax or fresh out of shower when it's wet as the hairs may be weighed down and may not be in their natural position so you may end up cutting off too much than intended.

I’ve had a goatee (‘stach/beard) for 2 1/2 years now. Very satisfying.

This is what I did when I first grew out my goatee. This how I manage it now.

1. Others are correct; do not trim to soon or until you see a shape forming, about a month or so
2. Ready yourself for the itchy phase, scratch your self using a brush
3. Use a good beard balm and beard oil
4. Do not wash too often
5. Begin with using a brush to help grow it and shape it the way you want it.
6. When ready let a barber help with first trim/shaping.
7. Follow barbers guideline to help maintain shape
8. Use a comb when combable, but still use brush
9. Use scissors to help maintain stach and to help with stragglers. Use a trimmer as needed
10. Choose a good razor and enjoy the look

Works for me.

My biggest mistake when I started growing my mustache was I was trimming the top line of my stache to get a straighter look to it but all that did was keep my stache thin. Since I've stopped doing that, my mustache has gotten much thicker. I still have some ways to go so that the top hairs will reach the bottom so I'm anticipating my stache looking even fuller by the end.

Like others have said, best advice is to not trim at all. I started growing it out in the beginning of October and I've committed myself to not touch it until the end of November. Then I'll see where I'm at. I may trim on December 1st. Or let it go for another month. Something about the longer my mustache gets, the more I enjoy it. Others may not like it but it's my face. Not theirs. But I've gotten so many compliments from other guys, it's encouraging me to keep going with my growth. So many guys who WANT a mustache but are afraid of what others will think.

I am to the point where I can feel the hair going in my mouth. That doesn't bother me so much. But I don't like when I get food in it. I've learned to just push it to the side when I eat and then it's not really an issue. Then I just comb it back down.

I actually LOVE combing my mustache. It feels so relaxing. I keep a mustache comb with me and comb throughout the day.

I shaved off the cheeks, chin and neck this morning with my beard trimmer just leaving the stache. It’s a better look for me as the beard reminds me of when i lived on the streets and didn’t have much access to a good shave. I’ve got a pretty nice soup strainer on my upper lip now. Cheers, fellers!

Top Bottom