What's new

New to growing a mustache

Welcome to B&B!

I’ll hand over a little advice…. Leave it alone and let I grow. I know this sounds stupid but, many people try to trim or shape their stache and end up messing it up to the point of needing shaved off. If and when you decide it needs a trim or shape up, have a barber or someone with experienced do it.

One thing you can do if you think you need to trim it, but are worried about messing it up: wax it first. Then, if there are some hairs that don't look right or are annoying(hanging over lip), you can carefully snip at them and the wax will keep the majority from damage. Or yeah, just enjoy eating moustache until it holds it's shape naturally!

One thing you can do if you think you need to trim it, but are worried about messing it up: wax it first. Then, if there are some hairs that don't look right or are annoying(hanging over lip), you can carefully snip at them and the wax will keep the majority from damage. Or yeah, just enjoy eating moustache until it holds it's shape naturally!
I never thought of using wax first, and I had moustach for years

Let it grow out for a few weeks before trimming, so it gets thicker. Let a barber trim it for you the first time, though. They can usually help you find a style that will suit your face. After that, trim it back to that shape a few times a week, using a fine tooth comb and sharp scissors. Use the comb to make sure you have aligned the mustache line with the upper lip.

Try and avoid unusual styles unless you really enjoy looking like Snidely Whiplash, Charles Bronson, Fu Machu, etc.

1672616385165.png

I find it best to trim it straight above my lips with electric hair clippers or beard trimmer with no comb. That gets it a lot neater than you will ever manage with scissors. And there is nothing worse than a moustache that grows past the top of the lip, like Nietsche.

By the way, I suggest you grow a goatee as well. Nobody looks good with a moustache and it has been (rightly) out of fashion for the last hundred years. Otherwise you will be forever known as ‘the moustache guy’, or Ned Flanders.

Some good posts here (and few that I do not care for)...

Yes, using wax and a mustache comb are great ideas. Instead of trimming
your mustache, try "training" it by combing the hairs both downwards and,
more importantly, toward the sides after applying wax. Gradually the hairs
will "learn" to grow in that direction allowing for more length without resorting
to trimming due to hairs falling below the lip line. I have a cowboy mustache
without too much walrus. Think Robert Redford in "Butch Cassidy and the
Sundance Kid" (though I can't hold a candle to either Newman or Redford
in the looks department). I can't pull off a Sam Elliot cowboy either ...
that 'stache is epic.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to growing a mustache, very new. What advice for a newbie would you be willing to offer? Anything I should know, dos or do nots, products to use or not use, ways to trim or not trim?
Best advice is let it grow for a bit before trimming. You'll be tempted to trim it too soon, give it a couple weeks after the urge first hits. This gives it a chance to fill in and find its way. Having a competent barber do it isn't a bad idea, at least the first time, although you can certainly learn to do it yourself.

A light wax is good for keeping it controlled without looking unnatural. Beard butters or oils work ok too. Make sure you like the scent because it's going to be right under your nose.. I usually just work some argan oil into mine each morning to keep it conditioned.

Get a small comb and carry it with you once you get some length.

I trim mine with scissors and a comb, but I keep mine rather long. There are tons of youtube videos on mustache and beard care.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Sometimes truth hurts! Maybe I am just not ready for truth? 🤔
(I really liked my cartoon villain look, but now I look like my new avatar)
Hey my friend! You rock what makes you happy is my opinion.

I had to get a picture taken today for my church website.

My first reaction was to tell my wife to take another picture!

I looked liked a fat old man, who's had a stroke!

Then I realized: I am a fat old man who's had a stroke, because the second picture confirmed my self diagnosis.

Real life sucks Man.

Real life sucks Man
Yeah, but you are King of Arkoland so you will be blessed perfectly conditioned skin forever! Archeologist will marvel how well preserved your face will be in a thousand years dawg gonnit!

Apologies for continuing this derail, now back to watching paint dry moustache hairs grow!

Welcome to B&B!

I’ll hand over a little advice…. Leave it alone and let I grow. I know this sounds stupid but, many people try to trim or shape their stache and end up messing it up to the point of needing shaved off. If and when you decide it needs a trim or shape up, have a barber or someone with experienced do it.
Thank you so much, I've ended up with a shaved head many times because of this, so this advice is right up my alley!

I never would have thought of this! Thank you!

I find it best to trim it straight above my lips with electric hair clippers or beard trimmer with no comb. That gets it a lot neater than you will ever manage with scissors. And there is nothing worse than a moustache that grows past the top of the lip, like Nietsche.

By the way, I suggest you grow a goatee as well. Nobody looks good with a moustache and it has been (rightly) out of fashion for the last hundred years. Otherwise you will be forever known as ‘the moustache guy’, or Ned Flanders.
Maybe we will see if I can grow a goatee haha!

Top Bottom