What's new

New to B&B

Hello everyone,

I'm Ken, a thirty-something who has been fed up with razor bumps and ridiculous prices for shaving cartridges. I always remembered watching my grandfather use a black handled adjustable gillette. I had for a while been wanting to try a DE razor, had no idea where to buy one. Finally found this at the local sally's http://www.sallybeauty.com/safety-razor/SBS-676100,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH I guess it's made by derby? I picked up the cheap thing anyways and after lurking around here and watching several how-to videos, I've been using it for about a week now with the van der hagen luxury kit http://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Men...r=8-1&keywords=van+der+hagen+luxury+shave+set that I picked up at the local walgreens. I got a few knicks the first couple shaves, but nothing to cry about, and now i'm starting to get it down pretty well.

I have to say, even with this cheaper starter setup I got, shaving has become something I look forward to now, instead of dread. The brush isn't bad, not that I have anything to compare it to, but i'm able to work up a nice lather with it and the van der hagen soap. I think I'd like to get some kind sandalwood soap, was looking at the EJ stuff. I've also already placed an order for the Merkur HD Long Barber Pole razor. After using this cheaper one I felt I'd like something heavier, and I love how the barber pole Merkur looks.

Anyhow, thought I'd drop in and introduce myself.
Now if I can just control my shopping urges.

Welcome aboard. Do your self a favor and start a shave diary right here on B&B to you can track your do's and fonts as well as your likes and dislikes! It is guaranteed to bea fun journey!
Garrys sample shop right here on B&B has been my choice to try "sample sizes" of shave creams, soaps, aftershaves etc..

Welcome, kd0g. I've been meaning to get a sandlewood cream myself. I particularly like the scent of TOBS sandlewood, but there's several brands out there. If you're lucky, you might have a local store that carries a variety of products for you to smell and play with. I know that there are a few small brick and mortar stores that still carry shaving products in the US and Canada. In the Chicago area, we have Merz Apothecary. If you have something local, it'd be a great way to see what's available.

Welcome to the forum. The sample route is the way to go at this point in your shaving odyssey; you can purchase several samples from various vendors without breaking the bank. You can pick out what you like and don't like and then make an informed decision based on actual experience. The samples are good for several shaves so you will have ample opportunities to try different products.

Top Bottom