What's new

New Razorock Game Changer

Which Lupo plate were you using?
At around the time of the post you quoted, I was mostly using the .58sb. When I first acquired the Lupo, I was chasing efficiency. The first plate I got was the .95sb, then the .95oc. I spent more than a few months using those exclusively (I'm a daily shaver). Then curiosity got to me and I acquired the .72sb and then later the .72oc and .58sb. During that time, about a year, I got better and better at shaving and didn't feel I needed as much aggression. That's why I gravitated to the .58.

Funny thing, I gave the 6s its last-hurrah shave late last summer and fell in love with its smoothness. Before I took the GameChanger/Lupo route I was using mostly plate '5' sometimes '6' on the Rockwell. That last-hurrah shave turned into many shaves. And I found I was able to get great, comfortable shaves using plate '3.' I feel like I learned how to shave using the Lupo.

Now, with regard to razors, I chase comfort with just enough efficiency. :)

I very recently jumped into the RR razors from the Rockwell 6C; I head shave every other day primarily with the 4-plate. I absolutely love how smooth the 6C is but I wanted to move to a stainless steel option for fear of the zinc alloy threads on my 6C eventually wearing (I've seen no signs of wear yet, but the idea worried me). I opted for the RR GC .84 SB instead of just going with the Rockwell 6S because I didn't want to pay new razor money for the exact same shave I was getting from my 6C. Also most the SS Lupo options were sold out.

The higher efficiency and blade feel of GC .84 gave me a closer and better overall shave than the 6C, and then I went a little crazy ordering more Razorock items to test out as well. I ordered the GC .76 SB, the SS Lupo .72 OC, the Aluminum Lupo (which I believe is the .58 SB base), along the Titanium Halo handle. I figured the .95 Lupo would be too aggressive for me, the GC .84 about as aggressive as I think I can go. I'll report back in a few months after testing out different RR combinations. In the meantime I'm quite happy with GC .84-P, it feels like an upgrade from the 6C 4-plate and that's saying a lot in my opinion. The 6C is staying in my lineup; I still love how smooth it is and it'll likely be my designated travel razor.

I very recently jumped into the RR razors from the Rockwell 6C; I head shave every other day primarily with the 4-plate. I absolutely love how smooth the 6C is but I wanted to move to a stainless steel option for fear of the zinc alloy threads on my 6C eventually wearing (I've seen no signs of wear yet, but the idea worried me). I opted for the RR GC .84 SB instead of just going with the Rockwell 6S because I didn't want to pay new razor money for the exact same shave I was getting from my 6C. Also most the SS Lupo options were sold out.

The higher efficiency and blade feel of GC .84 gave me a closer and better overall shave than the 6C, and then I went a little crazy ordering more Razorock items to test out as well. I ordered the GC .76 SB, the SS Lupo .72 OC, the Aluminum Lupo (which I believe is the .58 SB base), along the Titanium Halo handle. I figured the .95 Lupo would be too aggressive for me, the GC .84 about as aggressive as I think I can go. I'll report back in a few months after testing out different RR combinations. In the meantime I'm quite happy with GC .84-P, it feels like an upgrade from the 6C 4-plate and that's saying a lot in my opinion. The 6C is staying in my lineup; I still love how smooth it is and it'll likely be my designated travel razor.
I don't think the .95 is a huge leap from the GC .84. Nor do I think the .95 is a huge leap from the .72. I think the .72 OC Lupo is a great razor and should satisfy your OC needs. Between the GC .84/.76, the Lupo .72OC and its aluminum version you've got yourself some very fine razors. I'd focus on those razors and your technique over the next year or so. Take your time getting to know how each work. If you get curious about the other plates in those lines, I'd suggest you branch out and try other razors besides RR's -- you pretty much nailed all you need with the Lupo and GC.

I don't think the .95 is a huge leap from the GC .84. Nor do I think the .95 is a huge leap from the .72. I think the .72 OC Lupo is a great razor and should satisfy your OC needs. Between the GC .84/.76, the Lupo .72OC and its aluminum version you've got yourself some very fine razors. I'd focus on those razors and your technique over the next year or so. Take your time getting to know how each work. If you get curious about the other plates in those lines, I'd suggest you branch out and try other razors besides RR's -- you pretty much nailed all you need with the Lupo and GC.
You're absolutely right about me covering my needs with my recent RR purchases. I've received and tested out the GC .84SB, the Lupo .72OC, and the aluminum Lupo so far. My GC .76SB and the titanium Halo handle arrive tomorrow.

Compared to GC .84SB, the Lupo .72OC was a weird combination of smoother yet more aggressive; the shave was close to if not slightly more enjoyable than the GC for me. There was more blade feel but the razor seemed to just glide better, not sure if this was more of a SB vs OC difference though. I got about the same shave closeness, but my head did sting more with the Lupo post shave. Another awesome razor but I don't think my skin would appreciate seeing it on back-to-back days.

My biggest surprise so far was the aluminum Lupo; it's roughly a quarter of the weight of its stainless steel counterparts and felt like a happy meal toy when I first opened the box. I love the weight of RR's stainless steel razors (and the 6C which is about the same weight) and being able to just let the razor do the work without applying additional pressure, so I wasn't expecting to like the aluminum Lupo at all but somehow it just works! It has plenty of efficiency and blade feel but the lightness somehow makes it feel non-threatening, you can instantly feel how much pressure is needed. This combined for an efficient shave that felt smooth and mild. I briefly tried it out with a stainless steel handle and it was fine, but I think I actually preferred it with the lighter aluminum handle. Not a better overall shave than I got from the GC .84SB or the Lupo .72OC, but surprisingly good and with little to no sting or irritation.

I very recently jumped into the RR razors from the Rockwell 6C; I head shave every other day primarily with the 4-plate. I absolutely love how smooth the 6C is but I wanted to move to a stainless steel option for fear of the zinc alloy threads on my 6C eventually wearing (I've seen no signs of wear yet, but the idea worried me). I opted for the RR GC .84 SB instead of just going with the Rockwell 6S because I didn't want to pay new razor money for the exact same shave I was getting from my 6C.
Check out the Rockwell 6S in the Marketplace today. Very good price.

I initially found the .84p to be too much, but I quickly tamed it by committing and sticking to it. That and replacing their stupid-heavy (IMO) handle (mine came with the bulldog handle) with something considerably lighter, making it much more balanced and manoeverable.

I initially found the .84p to be too much, but I quickly tamed it by committing and sticking to it. That and replacing their stupid-heavy (IMO) handle (mine came with the bulldog handle) with something considerably lighter, making it much more balanced and manoeverable.
That is my experience with it.

(I use the Vintage Thin Bar handle.)

Reactions: Kix
I’m the opposite. The heavier the handle the better for me. I use my RR handles on every razor head and keep the other handles in storage.

I apply no pressure and let the razors weight cut my hair so the heavier it is the easier it shaves. If I applied pressure while shaving then a lighter handle may be ok, but that’s just asking for more irritation.

To me a BarberPole or RadioKnob handle on a heavy SS head is perfection. I really don’t see the appeal of light razors unless people are applying pressure?

I like the Game Changer heads on a Timeless Ti Crown handle. I too think very heavy RR handles throw off the balance.
I found that a cheap Muhle-style handle did the trick. And it looks way more classy too!

Balance and weight are important things and play a significant role in one's technique. Of course everybody has their own preferences. I found it interesting that I seemingly can't use my GC when I shave in the shower. It just felt too heavy and effected how and the quality of the shave. I shaved in the shower for years, with my eyes closed and doing it all by feel with bar soap and a multiblade disposable. When I tried it with my GC I had a horrible time of it. I switched back to the considerably lighter disposable and all was better. Muscle memory perhaps?

I only shave a few times a week when the stubble becomes more noticeable - I'm 60 so its almost all gray and takes a while to become stand out. And though I more usually shave at the sink with brush and lather, I still though rarely shave in the shower with a disposable. It just depends on my mood, tiredness (I'm an evening shaver), and convenience.

. . .

My biggest surprise so far was the aluminum Lupo; it's roughly a quarter of the weight of its stainless steel counterparts and felt like a happy meal toy when I first opened the box. I love the weight of RR's stainless steel razors (and the 6C which is about the same weight) and being able to just let the razor do the work without applying additional pressure, so I wasn't expecting to like the aluminum Lupo at all but somehow it just works! It has plenty of efficiency and blade feel but the lightness somehow makes it feel non-threatening, you can instantly feel how much pressure is needed. This combined for an efficient shave that felt smooth and mild. I briefly tried it out with a stainless steel handle and it was fine, but I think I actually preferred it with the lighter aluminum handle. Not a better overall shave than I got from the GC .84SB or the Lupo .72OC, but surprisingly good and with little to no sting or irritation.

The Lupo Aluminum is a very nice razor, in a lightweight, relatively inexpensive package. I also tried it with a heavier handle (DE89 Barley), but it was better with the stock aluminum handle.

The feeling of cutting individual hairs, that comes through the handle because of its light weight, takes some getting used to. But the shave is good.

. Charles

Top Bottom