What's new

New production Gillette Platinum?

I just bought 25 of these from a Romanian vendor on the bay. Price was 5 Br pounds and included international shipping. We'll see if they show up and if they're legit. I've got more blades than I can use, but like variety. So I figured I could use 25 of these. Who knows if they'll disappear again.

My 25 arrived from Romania today. Not bad all things considered - one Br Pound per five pack and delivery from Romania to California in about 2 weeks. Glad to have a few more of these to mix in with my other blades. I just finished up a pack of Permasharp Supers and took out a pack of 7 Yellows. They will make a nice comparison for these to see if I still like them as much as I remember.

Cool.
So I'll patiently wait for the next Silver Blue production batch with only 2 wax dots! :thumbup:

Now that certainty appeals to me. Two? Hmm.

Well, I ordered 25. Looking forward to trying these again. It's been so long I forgot how they are. Then again, I've not had a problem with any of the Gillette line up.

Last edited:
My 25 arrived from Romania today. Not bad all things considered - one Br Pound per five pack and delivery from Romania to California in about 2 weeks.

Looks like the new production is a whole lot more expensive than I remember Jim, in fact about double!

Still got a sealed bag of 20 x 100 packs of them shipped from Malta, at a cost of about 13 cents per blade delivered to my door. Too busy shaving with NOS Spoilers, NOS GBE's and a heap of vintage blades to even think about opening them!

Looks like the new production is a whole lot more expensive than I remember Jim, in fact about double!

Still got a sealed bag of 20 x 100 packs of them shipped from Malta, at a cost of about 13 cents per blade delivered to my door. Too busy shaving with NOS Spoilers, NOS GBE's and a heap of vintage blades to even think about opening them!

You got a really good price then. Even a couple years ago I never saw them that cheap. Also, I only bought 25 so price is always more for a small quantity and mine also included free shipping. So with the exchange rate it was about $7.50 or so for 25, which is 30 cents per blade. Still think $.30 apiece including shipping is a decent price for a purchase of only 25 blades.

By the way, did you mean 20 x 100, as in you bought 2000 of these? Did that contribute to the cheap price you paid?

I recently purchased what I thought they were NOS dark blue box Gillette Platinum. They arrived in my mailbox yesterday and to my surprise they appear to be current production.

For one, they are not double wrapped like the older dark blue platinum blades. Also, they have two wax dots in the center, like other current production PPG blades, and not four wax dots like the older blades.

For me, the older dark blue Gillette Platinum were always sharp but smooth shaving blades. I'll have a shave with the new ones today and post my thoughts later.

Here is what they look like.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Are these the same blades that used to be sold at the AOS stores? If so, I went through a few packs and really liked them. Very sharp and smooth, IMO.

By the way, did you mean 20 x 100, as in you bought 2000 of these? Did that contribute to the cheap price you paid?

Yes, I purchased 2,000 blades. Will get a pic for you when I get home later.

I think the cheap price was mainly to do with the quantity, and also the cost of shipping which was nowhere near the same as getting 20 separate packages posted. Looking back at the posts from back then, it was more like 10c/blade.

Last edited:
Geeze I opened a puck today to use one and they are so sharp and smooth that it's the first time I can recall that a blade in my Toggle set on three was irritation free. I know I said they were to expensive yada, yada, but I may have to bite the bullet a purchase a truck load.:banghead: These are far superior to GSB.

I agree they are pricey but worth it. Im normally into the cheap blades like Derby, Astra etc. But these are my 'splurge' blades. I highly prefer them over GSB & Gillette Black which are the other gillette blades I reach for. For me, these are equal to the super platinum blue packs that used to be my go-to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom