What's new

New brush break in

Hi all, I just received 2 new brushes; a manchurian white from Elite Razor, and a Thater 2 band silvertip. I’ve never had either of these knots and it seems that it’s difficult to build a lather with them. Is it because they are new or is that inherent in these densely packed brushes? Do they break in after awhile? Has anyone had this type of issue?
Thanks

What type of brushes were you using? My guess would be try loading more soap and forget what you think is normal.

If that doesn't work, try spreading the knot with your fingers/face before pushing down and making lather. I found the dense brushes I have clam up tight when wet and need some teasing to splay. And when I dry them, I've started blooming them by hand. Otherwise, they never bloom on their own.

I don't have a Thater but I do have a couple Elite Manchurian brushes and neither one required any break in.

I have encountered some of the really densely packed knots with very strong backbone (from other vendors) that did soften up with repeated uses, but the knots you described aren't what I'd call extremely dense or extreme backbone knots.

I suspect loading more soap would help and then add water slowly about six drops at a time as you continue to lather until you get the lather where you like it.

I have been using 3 band silvertip from shavemac , AOS and some simpsons in best; duke 3 and wee scot. A WSP silvertip and a DaVinci silvertip. I guess more product is the answer
What type of brushes were you using? My guess would be try loading more soap and forget what you think is normal.

I have a couple of fairly new 2 band Thaters....a 4125/1 fan and a 4125/2 bulb.

I found that they soak up water much more than my other badger brushes, and I get better results (on a DR Harris puck) when I've squeezed and shaken them dry. Previously, I've used the Marco method with my other badger brushes but found my Thaters work best quite dry with about 60- 80 seconds swirling on a damp (not wet) puck.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have always used only cheap brushes, my current brush is my avatar which cost me whopping $2.00. I have never spent much on brushes I'd rather spend my money on razors. One day I may splurge on something that costs more than $10.00.

Sounds like they just haven't bloomed yet. Try bowl lathering for a few shaves so you can observe lather development. They should open up quickly that way.

Top Bottom