What's new

need some guidance for my first kayak

I have a ocean kayak Scupper pro. It has 2 hatches. I put a kid in each hatch when we are in a lake or the bay. I also have a sports chalet or whatever sports store special that I put my oldest on and pull her around. You can find kayaks on craigslist for $100-$1000. Look for cracks in the hols that go through the bottom to top (Scupper hols). Invest in a good paddle. Mine came with one and when I use the cheap one for the other kayak its a huge difference. A seat or back rest is not as important as many insist. I have a very expensive one and never use it. its more comfortable for my without it.

Search for rental places in your area. Thats the best way to try them out. Most places sell the old kayaks at the seasons end (Coming up soon) for $300-$600 or about 1/2 price. Some places will even put a portion of what you paid in rent towards the kayak or accessories / upgrades.

We were in Tahoe last week, we rented a couple extra kayaks for the rest of the family and loaded mine down with chairs, food, towels, etc. It was probably close to 350 pounds with the stuff, me and my youngest. No stability issues at all, and didnt sit that much lower.
I have launched into 4 foot surf to go fishing with all my gear in the hatch. No real issues.
Just load it with the weight even, or slightly to the rear.

Top Bottom