What's new

Need help with game changer .68

I recently purchased a game changer .68 due to it being classified as a pretty mild razor. I am using a Gillette 7 o’clock green blade (which I like a lot in King C Gillette) but I am finding the GC .68 a bit irritating with a weeper or two- nothing too bad though. it appears to have some significant blade exposure compared to the KCG and my Muhle R94. I am a bit confused as the R 94 is supposed to be a more aggressive razor but I have no trouble whatsoever with it. does anyone else find the GC 68 a bit harsh? Any suggestions?

I would classify it as a very mild razor. Like most mild razors it works best, for me anyway, with a sharp blade. I've only had mine for a few weeks, but I've had stunning shaves with a PSI and Gillette 7o/clock Yellow Sharpedge. BBS, no nicks at all, not even weepers, and zero irritation.

I recently purchased a game changer .68 due to it being classified as a pretty mild razor. I am using a Gillette 7 o’clock green blade (which I like a lot in King C Gillette) but I am finding the GC .68 a bit irritating with a weeper or two- nothing too bad though. it appears to have some significant blade exposure compared to the KCG and my Muhle R94. I am a bit confused as the R 94 is supposed to be a more aggressive razor but I have no trouble whatsoever with it. does anyone else find the GC 68 a bit harsh? Any suggestions?
See here:

Some combination of:
..lighter pressure
.. Different blade
.. Different angle

should help.

Most people like it, but as always, YMMV.

. Charles

try other blades I reckon get a sample pack and have fun and patience :)
has quite a impact IMHO and can make you hate or love a razor :)

I tried the greens and did not like them :) but again YMMV
my favs in the GC 68 are Persona Platinum and the Gillette Platinums again that does not mean you will like them as I did but more that as above blades can change the comfort

I have used GC68, then GC84, and I must say they are mildest SS razors that I have used ever.
Maby the problem is that you might push the razor against skin too heavily. Many makes that same mistake, and result is something that nobody wants.
Let the razor go light on your skin, use thick latte (tallow based!), and you soon looking for a razor that is not that mild.
Use only tvo fingers to hold razor at begining, after that, if you find the right technique/pressure, you might add more fingers if like to.
It is not wrong use a mild razor, just use that what YOU like to use.

It happens to me, the same thing, and today I prefer coarser razors.
It`s all about the "handling", then the soap. Nothing wrong at GC, take it from me.

I had a 68 switched to 84, now a BBS AS. All were great razors, 68 was a little too mild for me. Have OC and SB, OC versions for me are too harsh, lots of weepers. My only suggestion would be, use very light pressure and a sharp blade combination that always works for me. Blade starts tugging, throw it away.

See here:

Some combination of:
..lighter pressure
.. Different blade
.. Different angle

should help.

Most people like it, but as always, YMMV.

. Charles
Thanks for your reply very helpful,
I put a new Astra SP blade in used lighter pressure and rode the cap more and got a decent shave. I realized that the best angle for this razor is incredibly shallow near the cap and there is almost no blade feel at all. I tend to shave with a steep angle with my other razors and get a more efficient shave. I am sure it is a good mild razor it just doesn’t suit my shaving style at the moment. I will continue to use it and see if my preference changes over time.

I have used GC68, then GC84, and I must say they are mildest SS razors that I have used ever.
Maby the problem is that you might push the razor against skin too heavily. Many makes that same mistake, and result is something that nobody wants.
Let the razor go light on your skin, use thick latte (tallow based!), and you soon looking for a razor that is not that mild.
Use only tvo fingers to hold razor at begining, after that, if you find the right technique/pressure, you might add more fingers if like to.

It`s all about the "handling", then the soap. Nothing wrong at GC, take it from me.
Thank you,
I am getting better results just not sure I love the razor yet.

I too like the Gillette 7 o'clock green blades. They work very well for me in my GC.84.

To the point, I did find the .64 somewhat harsh, but only because it made me over do it. Interesting that you found it has significant blade exposure. There are those who claim it actually has negative blade exposure, and there are pictures showing it around here somewhere. Just goes to show you that perceptions can be very different. For me the .64 just wasn't giving me the shave I was expecting without a lot of work, which led me to over do it with the touchups, all too often resulting in blood, irritation and rash. I've since come to grips with what works best for me and my beard growth and have transitioned to the .84 plate. Maybe a different blade would have made the .68 work better, but it's irrelevant now that I've found success with the .84. No need to look back. Good luck to you!

I too like the Gillette 7 o'clock green blades. They work very well for me in my GC.84.

To the point, I did find the .64 somewhat harsh, but only because it made me over do it. Interesting that you found it has significant blade exposure. There are those who claim it actually has negative blade exposure, and there are pictures showing it around here somewhere. Just goes to show you that perceptions can be very different. For me the .64 just wasn't giving me the shave I was expecting without a lot of work, which led me to over do it with the touchups, all too often resulting in blood, irritation and rash. I've since come to grips with what works best for me and my beard growth and have transitioned to the .84 plate. Maybe a different blade would have made the .68 work better, but it's irrelevant now that I've found success with the .84. No need to look back. Good luck to you!
Yes, sounds like we maybe having a similar experience with the .68 I have a Muhle R94 that I absolutely love so I guess that will be my daily razor

Thanks for the reply, I don’t think there is anything wrong with it- it just may not be a good “fit” for what I like in a razor.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Which 7 O’clock green are you using? There are two. The Super Stainless which is a Russian blade I believe and the Permasharp made in India. To me the SS is sharper. The Permasharp for me is quite a bit smoother. I have all the Game Changers. I prefer the more aggressive models.

I put a new Astra SP blade in used lighter pressure and rode the cap more and got a decent shave. I realized that the best angle for this razor is incredibly shallow near the cap and there is almost no blade feel at all. I tend to shave with a steep angle with my other razors and get a more efficient shave. I am sure it is a good mild razor it just doesn’t suit my shaving style at the moment. I will continue to use it and see if my preference changes over time.
Tge GC .68 has neutral blade exposure so you will probably get better shaves at a neutral blade angle. A steep blade angle will be a challenge.

Attachments

• RazoRock GC68-1.png
    RazoRock GC68-1.png
    513.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 897efe8185fcc19d9315ce89a9f68b69.jpg
    897efe8185fcc19d9315ce89a9f68b69.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 98
I found a blade that works best in the game changer 68 for me - persona platinum and with a shallower ride the cap angle getting decent shaves, however I am going to move on from the GC 68 not a great fit for me. I prefer a bit steeper angle and more efficient razor.

Which 7 O’clock green are you using? There are two. The Super Stainless which is a Russian blade I believe and the Permasharp made in India. To me the SS is sharper. The Permasharp for me is quite a bit smoother. I have all the Game Changers. I prefer the more aggressive models.
I am using the SS Russian version

Before trying other types of blades, first try changing the blade to another in the pack. Just might be one bad blade with a funky edge. This has happened to me a few times when I’ve had that, “This blade was always great in this razor, what??” moments.

I put my sharpest blades in razors like the .68 and the Tech with great results.

Top Bottom