What's new

Need Help Restoring a Copper Shaving Bowl

Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I made a mistake with my Captain's Choice copper shaving bowl. I thought it might be a good idea to clean it with ketchup, but I ended up leaving the ketchup in the bowl for too long, and it caused some significant damage. The tarnish and lacquer have been completely worn off on the inside, and there are some spots on the outside that have also been affected.

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for guidance on how I can restore my beloved bowl. I understand it might involve re-polishing and re-lacquering, but I've never done anything like this before and would appreciate any advice or step-by-step instructions you can offer.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. I'm eager to make my copper bowl as good as new, or as close as possible.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Could have been worse. You could have used metal polish on your french fries.
I'd suggest two options:

1. Clean it the best you can with some metal polish wadding compound, such as Never-Dull. The impregnated cotton works wonders removing stubborn staining. Then get yourself a rattle-can of spray on polyurethane and following instructions, give a good coat and let it cure for a few days in a warm area (not hot).

2. Give the bowl to your significant other as a change or jewelry bowl, buy a replacement from Captains Choice, and leave the condiments for your dinner.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'd polish it up, those cotton wads sound handy, maybe some 0000 steel wool, and pitambari powder. But then leave the surfaces in a bare and uncoated state. The natural patina created with use and time might be fun and add a rustic charm.

Ketchup?

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your input! I like the idea of polishing it up and letting it age naturally for an authentic, weathered look.

As for the ketchup, it was a misguided attempt to remove water spots. Lesson learned there.

I appreciate your help!

I'll post a photo when I get back home.

Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of photos showing the current state of the bowl (see attached). Originally, both the inside and outside of the bowl had the same appearance and feel, but now, as you can see, things are a bit different.

Following the infamous ketchup incident, the protective layer inside the bowl was stripped away, changing both the texture and look. Strangely enough, it doesn't appear as bad now as it did right after the ketchup treatment. Even the spots on the outside seem to be less pronounced. There was a strong metallic smell immediately post-ketchup, but that seems to have normalized now.

Despite these improvements, it's still clear that the bowl is not in its original state. You can feel the absence of the protective layer inside the bowl.

So here's where I need your advice: should I apply a new coating on the inside, or would it be better to simply maintain it well, wiping it dry thoroughly after each use? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
20230724_220124.jpg
20230724_220134.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hi everyone,

Here are a couple of photos showing the current state of the bowl (see attached). Originally, both the inside and outside of the bowl had the same appearance and feel, but now, as you can see, things are a bit different.

Following the infamous ketchup incident, the protective layer inside the bowl was stripped away, changing both the texture and look. Strangely enough, it doesn't appear as bad now as it did right after the ketchup treatment. Even the spots on the outside seem to be less pronounced. There was a strong metallic smell immediately post-ketchup, but that seems to have normalized now.

Despite these improvements, it's still clear that the bowl is not in its original state. You can feel the absence of the protective layer inside the bowl.

So here's where I need your advice: should I apply a new coating on the inside, or would it be better to simply maintain it well, wiping it dry thoroughly after each use? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
View attachment 1691373View attachment 1691374
I'd leave it be and just dry it when done.

Here's the problem with leaving it without a new coating of lacquer...verdigris. That's what happens to uncoated/treated copper just like those statues you see all covered in green. So when it forms and you continue to use the bowl you may wind up lathering with verdigris in it. I have a copper handled shaving brush that developed verdigris in the bristles. I keep it cleaned with lemon juice etc but you can still see it. Now you can use it but take care of it by wiping dry and keeping an eye for any green patina starting to develop.
Personally, I'd clean it, use a very fine grade of steel wool, clean it again and then use a spray lacquer to re-coat the bowl. Me, I'd do a minimum of three coats with lots of drying in between.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The CC Coper bowl was only varnished on earlier versions, the current version is left bare when new from the factory and thus has a naturally oxidized appearance.
Likewise CC is pre-flamed to darken the color of the bowl.

The original color of the coper before the flame was toasted was red, so judging from the photo, your ketchup trick just returned the bowl to its pre-flame toast color.
It doesn't matter, as long as it is used naturally, it will slowly oxidize and deepen the color.

My CC Coper bowl has lost its varnish a long time ago, I just keep using and wiping dry and cleaning the exterior occasionally, rest assured it won't turn your lather green.
Bowls are much easier to dry than brushes, there is no comparison between the two.

IMG_20230727_232941.jpg

Last edited:
You could always become a medieval English fletcher. Verdigris was used in arrow making as an insect repellant.

Mine has a spot or two on it, but it doesn't seem to bother anything.

Would a polishing product be of any help? One of my long-late aunts used baking soda and toothpaste to clean (scour) her copper cookware. A commercial cooper cleaning product may be available at high-end kitchen / cooking stores.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I polished one of my CC heavy copper bowls to a bright shine. I saw @SgtCrppls efforts with his bowl and followed his example. It ends up being quite beautiful.... It did take some effort as I did it by hand, using Simichrome metal polish... applying, letting it dry and simply wiping it down with a microfiber cloth. I think I needed 3 or 4 applications go get it where I wanted it to be.

Top Bottom