What's new

Need Fluorescent Light Fixture Help

I have fluorescent light fixture (two tubes) that have lately become wonky. Sometimes the light won't come on unless I turn the light on and off repeatedly. Sometimes the light will come on after 20 minutes. I have not done any research and thought I might find advice here. Yes, I am that lazy (efficient!).

Would this problem point at a defective FL tube or a wonky ballast, and how can I confirm? No weird noises as far as I can tell.

Wonky ballast I believe. If it uses those older T12 tubes you should also consider swapping out the whole fixture or at least the tube end clip holders (don't know the technical term) for ones which will accept newer T8 or T5 sized tubes along with a matching ballast.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Any lighting store should be able to help you. How old is the fixture? I'm no guru but could it be a bad starter? You know, the little silver can that kinda looks like a capacitor?

The big box home stores, such as Lowes and Home Depot have a pretty good selection of ballasts and fluorescent lighting fixtures. I mention converting tube sizes since as far as I know the older/bigger T12 diameter tubes are slowly being phased out due to their higher energy consumption in favor of the smaller tubes.

I upgraded my fluorescent kitchen fixtures five years ago or so which were using the older T12 tubes. My motivation was not the T12 energy consumption, but to add dimming capability which required installing a new ballast and smaller diameter tubes. I ended up using a Lutron product which was not available in the big box stores, but many non-dimmable ballasts are. Though before spending too much money on upgrading (assuming that was needed) you may also want to consider converting to an LED light fixture.

I've seen bad tubes cause those symptoms. If I were going to troubleshoot by replacing components, I would start with the easiest, least expensive parts first. Tubes.

Bill

Where is the fixture located? Is it a decorative fixture? Now may be the time to upgrade the fixture to led, or replace the whole fixture to a new led fixture.

Lamps, ballasts, and lamp holders can all cause this issue. If it is an older T-12 just change the whole thing, if it is a T-8 and the lamp holders look OK (no cracks or discoloration) I would start with bulbs. Just FYI the higher the K value on the bulbs the more blue/white the light is the lower the more red/yellow 5000k is natural daylight 3000k is warmer more like incandescent.

+1 on replacing the ballast. That is probably what is causing the starting problems. They have a finite life-span and the symptoms you describe are only going to get worse.

You should also replace the tubes and upgrade them to a better color. I'm assuming what you're running now are "Cool White" or "Warm White" which are the most common. The upgrade you should seek out will be called Natural / Daylight / Full-Spectrum / Reveal depending on the manufacturer. They will all have a K-rating in the 6~6.5K range, which can be found on the package. Also, look for a CRI spec, which should be as high as possible, but not less than 90.

Full Spectrum lighting simulates the color of natural sunlight. It is the best thing for your eyes and will be immediately apparent by how much more detail you see in everything in that room. Plants love 'em, too.

I've redone my entire house in Daylight bulbs from Feit Electric. Those twisty-bulb thingies. I got them from Costco, where a 6-pack is only around $8.

These are full spectrum tubes in a light table. I got the table last year from my brother, and he's had the light table since the mid '90s.

Today The types come on when I tyrant on the light, but only very weak. Then, after 20 minutes, they suddenly light up with full power.

You want lazy? I have a wonky, 48", 2-tube fluorescent light fixture over my basement laundry area. It's been on 24/7 for the 14 years we've been in this house. Every few years I replace the bulbs and fiddle with the switch to get them to work. But once on they stay on until they die.

You want lazy? I have a wonky, 48", 2-tube fluorescent light fixture over my basement laundry area. It's been on 24/7 for the 14 years we've been in this house. Every few years I replace the bulbs and fiddle with the switch to get them to work. But once on they stay on until they die.
Yours sounds like it may be old enough to have a separate starter if there is a small cylinder piece that twists in with 2 little prongs on the bottom change that piece. Could be the OPs problem too.

How do the sockets look? If they are burnt or brittle, you can change those out for pretty cheap. Certainly cheaper than a new fixture. T8 and T12 lamps use the same size socket so if they're in good shape you can just leave them. My guess would be that you should change the ballast and the lamps. I have a handful of assorted new ballasts in my basement. If you take a picture of it and I have the right one, I'll PIF it to you. I could probably find a few sockets down there too.

Last edited:
The sockets and all contacts appear just fine. After wiggling the types around a bit, they now turn on quicker. After flipping the switch on, the tubes glow faintly for a few seconds, but sometimes a minute before coming on fully. One tube comes one first.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's an old magnetic ballast, and I have plenty of those lying around. As far as I can tell, the sockets look fine. Shoot me a pm with your address and you can have a ballast. You will have to get some new t8 lamps but those are cheap enough.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'd rather convert this light table somehow to LED.

It's really easy. There are several videos on youtube showing how to do it.

I just converted four 48" fixtures from old t12 fluorescent tubes to LED tubes and two 8ft fluorescent fixtures to LED tubes.

The led tubes I used don't need ballasts. When I converted mine I removed all of the ballasts, no more noise and the LEDs start up instantly.

I bought the LED tubes from Amazon, they included the tombstones, lampholders. Here are the ones I used:

Single tube:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon®-eq...&qid=1462150899&sr=8-9&keywords=hyperikon+4ft

4 pack:

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dua...62150999&sr=8-1&keywords=hyperikon+t8+frosted

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-equ...62151063&sr=8-2&keywords=hyperikon+t8+frosted

Last edited:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'd rather convert this light table somehow to LED.

This is what I was going to suggest. You can get LED fluorescent replacements. Get the ones that eliminate the ballast.

Top Bottom