What's new

Need Dress shirts

I cannot fathom buying a shirt off the rack for $100 USD and still needing to get it tailored. For that money you could be getting custom made-to-measure from any number of retailers.

They generally set up shop in a hotel or conference center for a few days to take measurements and let you look through their fabric swatches. You pick the fabric and styling details (I have monograms!), they measure you there, and the shirts are mailed to you a month or two later. I have tried two such retailers in Canada and they both provided me with three shirts for around $60-70 CAD per shirt.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I cannot fathom buying a shirt off the rack for $100 USD and still needing to get it tailored. For that money you could be getting custom made-to-measure from any number of retailers.

They generally set up shop in a hotel or conference center for a few days to take measurements and let you look through their fabric swatches. You pick the fabric and styling details (I have monograms!), they measure you there, and the shirts are mailed to you a month or two later. I have tried two such retailers in Canada and they both provided me with three shirts for around $60-70 CAD per shirt.
You trying to get me to move to Canada? Wow. Not sure I've ever seen this in Michigan, but would jump at the chance! Thanks for the idea.

These are the ones I ended up with. All were originally $145-165, I got them all for $30-60. The second from the right looks purple, but it's actually a blue houndstooth.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For casual button down dress shirts (especially in the heavier Oxford cloth), I swear by LL Bean. For my nicest shirts, I have them custom made by Tailor Store. My measurements are stored online, and I just personalize with different stitching, fabric/patterns, and buttons. Still less than $100 per shirt, and the fit is PERFECT.

I like Jos A Bank traveler shirts as a general rule. But, I've recently been swayed by Woodies custom clothing. English people and hipsters may call this bespoke (this is B&B). I call it custom kinda sorta because there's no physical tailor. Check it out to see if you like it.

Yes, it's expensive. Don't tell anyone, but I've worn the same shirt three days in a row. So, value?

I have been doing this for suits and dress shirts for a decade. Better fabric and perfect fit. A very large range of fabric and color options. My guy swings through about a dozen cities on his trips.

Top Bottom