What's new

need an American whiskey recommendation. from a scotch drinker.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Beam Black. Evan Williams. Ezra Brooks (hard to find) are decent and not too pricey. Turkey is good but a little fumey to drink straight up, if you ask me but it goes good with coke or in an old fashioned. Jack and Coke is probably the most ordered call drink in U.S. bars, for good reason. Yes, coke is a pretty pedestrian mixer. Nothing fancy about it. But it is a good combination with JD that definitely tickles the taste buds and is a pleasant thing to drink for half the night if you are so inclined. As others have pointed out, Makers, and especially #46, would probably suit your tastes well, though it is a few bucks more than the others I listed.

Of the lot, I would have to go with the Beam Black. A great whiskey for sipping or mixing, at a decent price, though the Evan is possibly a better bang for the buck and might make a better everyday bourbon on a budget.

Here's What's in my Liquor cabinet:

$DSD_0426.jpg

Make mine neat. Soda back.

I would stick to the old school; try "Gentleman Jack" it is amazing. You can search far and wide, but a better whiskey will be hard to find. Enjoy and Happy Shaving. Sam.

Is Woodford reserve nice?? I like the SmokeyNess of jack :)

Buffalo trace and makers mark are safe bets :)

If you like smokeyness, then try Knob Creek. I'm not a fan of heavier smoked flavor in my bourbon, but if you like it you'll enjoy KC.

I can also recommend Willett Rye. Great stuff, with a bit of peppery bite. I enjoy it chilled with whiskey stones and neat.

For Manhattan cocktails, I really love Basil Hayden. It's not so bold as to overpower the beverage, and is smooth and tasty. It's also excellent neat (how I drink pretty much all of my liquors when they aren't mixed). I can see it being great in a mint julep, too.

My other favorites:
Four Roses Small Batch
Bulleit bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Elijah Craig 12yr (haven't tried the 18, yet, but hear it's excellent)
For mixing, try Eagle Rare. Pretty good, slightly peppery, and great with Coke.
And, surprisingly, Jim Beam Black is really smooth, and delicious mixed with Coke. It's a little smokey, so I'm surprised I like it. But it's pretty good.

I avoid:
Jim Beam (normal, white label)
Jack Daniels
Wild Turkey
Maker's Mark

These avoided brands are all just big name brands that advertise the most. Hence, they get a lot of press and everyone knows them. In my opinion, they're not that great as sipping choices. They tend to be a bit harsh, and don't have the complex flavors I enjoy in a nice, small-batch, hand-crafted bourbon. I know others may disagree with me here, and that's perfectly fine, but this is my own opinion.

Note that I do still enjoy most of my "avoid" list as a mixers in Coke. Just not straight up. Mixing can cover up flaws or disliked flavors/attributes that are obvious when sipped directly.

Last edited:
I love the Maker's Mark. On the rocks is my drink if I go out. I really like the new Makers Mark 46. For the price it cannot be beat. There are definately better bourbons out there but you will pay for them.

George Dickel. Ain't nothin better. Says so on the bottle.

Also, it's hard to find it outside of Texas, but Rebecca Creek Texas Whiskey is absolutely fantastic and can be had for about 30-35 USD a fifth.

Lots of good suggestions. I may as well join in with some "economical" choices that are nice: WL Weller Special Reserve or Antique, Ezra Brooks black, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams black, Elijah Craig 12, Rittenhouse 100 proof, bottled in bond.

+1 on the Four Roses Single Barrel (although the Four Roses Small Batch is quite nice as well). I would tend to stay away from the Four Roses Yellow Label. I am also partial to Bulleit Bourbon as well. Woodford Reserve (especially the new double oaked) and Knob Creek are also good.

I've stopped drinking Tennessee Whiskey since Jack Daniels started watering it down (from 90 proof to 86 to 80). So I concur with WoodfordReserve-Neat and think the only good American whiskey comes from Kentucky (and a very small part of Missouri - the only other place where Bourbon can be made).

...and think the only good American whiskey comes from Kentucky (and a very small part of Missouri - the only other place where Bourbon can be made).

Well, I'm a bourbon fan myself, but "only" is a pretty strong word. There are several ryes from the northeast and out west that I really like, and Dickel is pretty good, also, though I have to agree with the JD assessment.

Bulleit Rye

Scotch is my favorite with Bourbon being a distant third, (don't even get me started on the Irish) and Rye is right behind Scotch in my No. 2 spot.

This particular Rye, the Bulleit, has, at least to my mouth, some shared characteristics of both Scotch and Bourbon; if thats fair to say. It has the smokiness of a Scotch with a tad of "Bourbon" carmelly sweetness.

Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert, and maybe this analogy is far off from everyone else's opinions of this Rye.

Top Bottom