What's new

need an American whiskey recommendation. from a scotch drinker.

Lots of great suggestions. I prefer Makers Mark and Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. Both are very good sippers with some nice complex flavors. These are not "slammers" like Jim Beam and regular Jack. Elijah Craig is good and Knob Creek (higher end Jim Beam) is acceptable, though not on the top of the list.

Four Roses Single Barrel has a nice smokey taste.
+1 on the Eagle's Rare too.

If you are planning on making mixed drinks, you could also go down the Rye road. Oh, and try a dash of bitters for a nice added taste.

I don't drink much, but for American, I'd probably go George Dickel. JD is pretty much overrated and overpriced for the quality. Tennessee "whiskey" is very smooth going down, but it's not as authentic as the quality Kentucky bourbon.

As a Canadian I will recommend Glen Breton. It's a Canadian whiskey. It's a light easy drinker, no peat, easy on the smoke.

Glen Breton while a decent whiskey, I find is really over priced. I have a bottle I received as a gift, and when I first tried it I really didn't like it. It's just been sitting for several years. I think my palate has matured in the last couple of years so I went back to it again. It's not bad, it's not too complex, but that is a good thing sometimes, and it is smooth. But in Ontario it sells for almost $90 a bottle. I can almost get a Lagavulin 16 for that, and I can get Talisker 10 for almost $15 less. So to me it makes it a tough sell.

I recently had some Buffalo Trace bourbon and thought it was quite nice. It's definitely more in your face than Maker's Mark, but it's also a good deal even up here in Canada where liquor prices are nuts. I have a bottle of Four Roses single barrel that I am planning to try this weekend.

This is my recommendation. I haven't tried the Governor's Reserve, but the other kind is fantastic.

proxy.php

I'd recommend Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey. It might be difficult to get a hold of currently but in a year or two they should start shipping bottles out of state again. You will not be disappointed. And if you are, I'll take the rest of the bottle off your hands.

Strictly my opinion based upon experiences of myself and others whose opinions I trust and a lot of research is that it is difficult to find a "bad" unblended American whiskey whether Bourbon, Tennessee, or produced elsewhere. I do not care much for American Blended Whiskey which previous generations called "rotgut" perhaps unrightfully so but it had a bad reputation when I lived in Kansas and people in other states seemed to think likewise. Nowadays, Bourbon, Canadian Whiskey, and Rum seem to be the best buys for the money.

Last edited:
40 Creek Whiskey. Hands down best Canadian for the price.
Maker has introduced a couple new ones lately too I think.
From my experience Canadian whiskeys are usually available across
the border. I guarantee you'd enjoy this.:thumbup:

My go to Whiskey's (When not drinking Tullamore Dew) are Bulleit Rye and Bulleit Bourbon. Both cost about $24 a bottle in Ohio, and honestly it seems silly to buy anything muchg more expensive. They're that good.

I agree with the above Elijah Craig recommendation, in addition I just got ahold of a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 bourbon, man for $25, it is quite good juice!

My go-to is regular old Evan Williams black label bourbon. I've been through the much more expensive boutique bourbons along with the more expensive mass marketed bourbons like Makers Mark. EW is still my favorite.

Cheers!

If you're looking for a Tennessee Whisky I would pick George Dickel every time over Mr. Daniels. I believe there are three varieties and I haven't had a bad drink from any of them. They're all quite smooth drinking (as the Tennessee Whisky style tends to be), so they'll get along nicely with your tastes as listed above.

+1 on the George Dickel. If we're talking Whisky not Bourbon, I find it to be my "dessert" whisky. I don't prefer JD at all and this is a great whisky with some sweeter notes that really please my palate. Definitely my straight sippin' whisky of choice. Now as to bourbon, where to begin...

If you're looking for a Tennessee Whisky I would pick George Dickel every time over Mr. Daniels. I believe there are three varieties and I haven't had a bad drink from any of them. They're all quite smooth drinking (as the Tennessee Whisky style tends to be), so they'll get along nicely with your tastes as listed above.
+1 Love 'em all neat or with a splash.

Has "Wild Turkey" died and gone to whiskey heaven?

It used to be a favorite of mine, and the more-aged, 101-proof version was even favoriter. Much fuller-flavored than Jack Daniels (which isn't even "bourbon", under US definitions).

. Charles

Top Bottom