What's new

Need advice on new DSLR Purchase

Update...

We purchased a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm Lens and SB-400 Flash.

Now to start reading the manual. :001_smile

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Have a look here too. It should develop into something more substantial as time goes on, but there is already a lot of good information there. His D40 guide has been a nice resource for me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You should really enjoy that camera, Bob. Have fun. Instead of reading the manual first, I'd recommend just going out and start shooting. When you encounter a scenario that you'd like to know more about, then go to the manual to see what it offers. Otherwise, the manual is just an endless list of features.

There is a convergence at play where most similarly priced items tend to be pretty much the same. At one time, there was a big difference between competing brands, but not so much now. I think this applies to almost anything made.

I just bought my first digital SLR and went through all the soul searching. I settled on the Pentax, but only because it is backwards-compatible with every lens Pentax ever made (I have a boatload of K mount and screw mount 35mm lenses) and has the auto-focus built into the body. I think I would have been just as happy with the Canon or Nikon, if compatibility with old lenses were not an issue.

You may be interested in checking out your local community college for digital photography courses as well. I started with film SLR and darkroom processing in high school, but later moved to a Canon 30D (which I love), but the switch to digital was definitely an adjustment. I took a course at the college to brush up on camera skills, and they also went over the "digital darkroom" - post processing of photos on the computer.

As far as it comes down to Nikon and Canon - I see them as equals. I've heard that Nikon makes marginally better lenses, and Canon's CMOS sensor is marginally a step ahead of Nikon's CCD, but in the end, the differences are so small and insignificant it doesn't really matter. As long as you like your camera, and know where the settings are, you'll be happy. Just wait a few months and you'll want to spend each paycheck on new glass :biggrin:

Have fun, and take lots of photos!

I've heard that Nikon makes marginally better lenses, and Canon's CMOS sensor is marginally a step ahead of Nikon's CCD, but in the end, the differences are so small and insignificant it doesn't really matter.

Actually, Nikon has recently switched to CMOS. The D90, D300, D700, D3 and D3x all use CMOS chips rather than CCD's. I know that the D300, D700 and D3 all have very low noise characteristics (something that plagued the CCD chips Nikon has used previously), so the quality of the sensor may not really something to argue about between the two brands any more.

Besides, once you make the investment in the lenses, you're not going to want to switch systems. You'll go through more bodies than lenses as technologies are updated.

Disclaimer: I'm a Canon user.

Top Bottom