What's new

Need advice, how do you travel with a suit?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If all goes to plan I will be attending an out of town wedding. So far out of town I have to fly.

I'll need to pack a suit. Something I have never done. In fact, I can count on one hand the number of times I've even worn a suit. I think it's 4.

My questions are how the heck do you pack a suit? Fold it nicely and pray it arrives when you do? Any special way to pack it?

I don't have any special luggage for it, and not going to buy any either. Considering this will only be my 5th time ever wearing a suit and all.

I'll need to pack it with my regular clothes.

Do hotels have dry cleaning? Because I'm sure it will arrive wrinkled and I don't trust myself with an iron.

Thanks folks!

You can fold carefully if you are doing carry-on. Use tissue paper to reduce wrinkles. At hotel, you can run shower to create steam and hang the suit in the steam to remove wrinkles. Plus, most hotels have an iron in each room or one that you can borrow.

Enjoy the wedding.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bundle wrapping clothing. Never heard of it! Great tip though.

Tissue paper is also doable.

Me ironing...not so much :blush:

I travel with suits 80% of my flights. Agree with much of the above. My routine:

Gently rolling the pants avoids adding creases.

Fold the jacket loosely and inside-out with one sleeve tucked inside the other. I've heard some roll but I feel folding is easier on the canvassing.

Hang them up as soon as you arrive in your hotel. Quality wool steams out in a bathroom during a hot shower, but I like to shower after my flight and each morning so they get a couple steamings. In the summer I'll sometimes travel with cotton or linen suits and I will use an iron but more for close up stream than outright pressing.

Good luck.

Bring it as your carry on. Worst comes to worst you have to drape it over someone else's bag in the overhead, best case scenario, you being the gent that you are, the attendants hang it up for you.

Enjoy the wedding - but not too much:lol:

Bring it as your carry on. Worst comes to worst you have to drape it over someone else's bag in the overhead, best case scenario, you being the gent that you are, the attendants hang it up for you.

Enjoy the wedding - but not too much[emoji38]
+1. You can find inexpensive garment bags at Wal-Mart and Target.

garment bag from wallmart or target and ask the flight attendant to hang it up or lay it across luggage. Put it in a steam filled bathroom if it gets wrinkled.

Other option is wear it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah, wear it.

You get to "bring sexy back" in terms of dressing up for airplane travel, and if they need to bump someone up to business class, it just might be you!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So let's say I do wear it. Should I get it cleaned before the wedding? or just take it off and hang everything up when I get in the room?
Wouldn't it have that airplane travel funk on it?

The plastic bag that covers your suit or shirt at the dry cleaners is magic. It beats anything else. I have no idea why they don't tell us that at the dry cleaner. Just try it.

A suit bag which is similar to a garment bag and incorporates a hanger and is a little more permanent than the average polythene garment bag. Otherwise if I have to pack it for example when travelling by air, as previously stated I roll the jacket. and then at my destination hang it in the bathroom while I shower. In general I find that hotel dry cleaning and pressing is well below standard so if I need that service I go outside the hotel whichever hotel (chain) it may be.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Considering the cheapest round trip flight I can find right now is $500 I'm considering driving. So no worries bout the suit then.

Hopefully the prices change closer to end of June. I don't want to drive 14 hours. But for a $300 savings I would

Top Bottom