What's new

Need a new camera

Thanks Andy. The first charge seems to take forever.
The wife wanted a ukulele, so I hit her up about getting the camera. Well she said OK so no mucking around before there was a change of mind....

True, that blinking light is torture, especially if you sit there and watch it. I swear that the charging light stays on longer some times than others :lol:

O/T - What brand ukulele did your wife get?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
True, that blinking light is torture, especially if you sit there and watch it. I swear that the charging light stays on longer some times than others :lol:

O/T - What brand ukulele did your wife get?

I just went back to check, I'm a sucker for punishment.
The ukulele is a Kala. I'll take a photo of it when the camera is charged.

I just went back to check, I'm a sucker for punishment.
The ukulele is a Kala. I'll take a photo of it when the camera is charged.

At least you're not sitting in front of the charger waiting for it to finish, like I was when I first got mine :lol:

Kala are a nice uke :thumbsup:

Perhaps make a rule that every time your wife wants another Ukulele, you get another camera. That way when her UAD (Ukulele Acquisition Disorder) takes off you're covered :lol:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
At least you're not sitting in front of the charger waiting for it to finish, like I was when I first got mine :lol:

Kala are a nice uke :thumbsup:

Perhaps make a rule that every time your wife wants another Ukulele, you get another camera. That way when her UAD (Ukulele Acquisition Disorder) takes off you're covered :lol:

It's like Chinese water torture but one flash at time.

Hmmmm she said that she wanted some more strings for the uke. That's worth a new lens in my books.:laugh:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Camera charged. Here is the Kala ukulele in question. It's a 6 string Tenor ukulele.
$DSC_0003.jpg

Congrats to you both! The 3300 is a great camera.

Here's a video on the features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to get a used Nikon or Canon. You might be able to get great prosumer used cam for the price of a brand new entry level. Agree with the rest as in don't get sucked into the pixels race. An old Nikon D50 rated at 6mp takes great photos. I personally use a used Nikon D7000 which is rated at 16mp. Honestly, there's not much difference in quality when comparing same shot side by side. Mega pixels will only make a difference if you are shooting for a billboard sized photo. Another point to consider is that The magic is in the lens. Single focal known as prime lens are a worthwhile addition. Can shoot in very low light and great sharpness. Try to scout around for a used set, cause if you are fortunate, the seller will throw in his lens with the camera. Lastly, a photographer friend once told me 'It's not the camera that makes the shot, it's the person behind the camera. Good luck

Thanks everyone. I came home with my new camera today.
I went with the Nikon 3300 bundled with a 18-55mm VRII lens, plus a Tamron 18-200mm lens, carry case, lens filters and 16GB SD Card.
Charging up now.

I will look at other lens options after having a good play with what I have now.

Congrats and enjoy!

the 3300 is a great little camera. set to RAW, and get a bigger SD card. now the fun part is getting some post processing software

Last edited:
..... hmmm post processing software. I need to look at that a bit closer.

You might want to look at the Nikon Capture NX-D software. If you didn't get it in the box with your camera you can download it free from Nikon. It will do things like adjust levels and curves, change clarity, sharpening, contrast, saturation, white balance etc on your Nikon RAW files. It isn't as full-featured as photoshop, but it will give you a lot of the lightroom functionality at no cost. Then when you want to spend some money, you can go for the lightroom/photoshop combo or photoshop elements/adobe camera raw combo. Of course, the Gimp is a free photo software similar to photoshop.

view nx is free i think you have to pay for capture.
as far as the cloud goes yeah you can rent the software from adobe but if you want to work offline you are SOL. get alightroom 4.0 doesn't require the cloud

Most people here will recommend a new camera, and with digital cameras making advances almost weekly, it seems like good advice. But if you are willing to try something used, I would recommend a Nikon D70S with the 18-55mm kit lens (or 18-200, if you want an all-in-one camera and lens). This is a stellar camera as far as image quality and price are concerned (my own camera kit is in the 6-figure range). The D70S is easy to shoot, easy to make adjustments to, and the DX lenses are plentiful and reasonably priced.

As most people who shoot will share most of their photos on a computer screen, and seldom (if ever) make prints more than 5x7 size, megapixels are irrelevant, an iPhone is more than adequate. But a real camera can capture photos quicker than a phone, and SLR lenses can be zoomed in and out more quickly than a phone, or a point-and-shoot camera.

My main camera nowadays is a 2005 Nikon SP with a "Millennium" 50mm f/1.4 lens. It shoots film, which I either make prints from, or scan digitally. My digital camera is a D700 (big brother to the D70S) with some good lenses, this is great for vacations and landscapes, and I can use many of my older manual focus Nikon lenses on it. I also have a Fuji X100T, which turned out to be a far better camera than I expected. It weighs almost nothing, despite being nearly solid magnesium, the lens outshines the similar Summicron lenses I use on my Leica film cameras, it makes no sound whatsoever (in silent mode), and the images are outstanding. However, it has a fixed focal length lens, which is not great for action shooting.

Anyway, try something like the D70S, you can get one cheap, and you won't be disappointed by it.

view nx is free i think you have to pay for capture.
as far as the cloud goes yeah you can rent the software from adobe but if you want to work offline you are SOL. get alightroom 4.0 doesn't require the cloud

MarkM10431, I believe that Capture NX-D is free too. The link below indicates it is free.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/capturenxd/

From looking at the Nikon website, it looks like Capture-NX2 is paid software available for a 60 day trial.

http://nikonimglib.com/cnx2/index_en_nsa.html#os-windows

Hope that helps! They have a confusing naming system.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have been playing with Nikon View NX2 which came with the camera.
This video helped understand how to use it.

View NX2 gets me going for free but I may have a look at Lightroom or another program later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom