What's new

Neck XTG under chin troubles.

Hi All, can anyone give advice on shaving the neck area XTG towards centre-line under chin.

I am now using my Rex Konsul and get a BBS shave all over - except in this challenging area.

The only way to get rid of that ‘hidden e unshaven’ feel on my front neck ( looks smooth and feel smooth WTG but feels very rough with fingertips), is to shave XTG.

I’ve also tried the Gillette Sweep? so to speak.

Always end up with a weeper or cut and am thinking may need to just accept can never get as smooth a shave in this area.

How do you guys do it?

Cheers,
Russell.

Last edited:

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
This is my trouble area as well. I decided DFS without irritation is good enough and I call it a win. I can get BBS with the Muhle R41 and multiple passes, but with severe irritation and many weepers. I’ve reached the point in my DE journey where I am satisfied with what a shave is not, rather than what it is. No irritation means more to me than BBS.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My neck is a problem area too and like @Jay21 I prize an irritation free shave above a BBS. For me I get the best finish on my neck by coming XTG from the ear but as I reach under the chin I turn the razor in a hooking movement until it comes out at the front of my chin performing strokes rather than one sweeping movement

Hope this helps

Til
Hi All, can anyone give advice on shaving the neck area XTG towards centre-line under chin.

I am now using my Rex Konsul and get a BBS shave all over - except in this challenging area.

The only way to get rid of that ‘hidden e unshaven’ feel on my front neck ( looks smooth and feel smooth WTG but feels very rough with fingertips), is to shave XTG.

I’ve also tried the Gillette Sweep? so to speak.

Always end up with a weeper or cut and am thinking may need to just accept can never get as smooth a shave in this area.

How do you guys do it?

Cheers,
Russell.
Tilt your head far back. I get everything with one easy pass even with three or four days growth. Works on whole neck and under jaw line.

The grain direction on my neck is from left to right, the hairs being nearly horizontal, my second pass on my neck is against the grain even though I'm shaving right to left.

It is difficult enough to get BBS there that I rarely bother trying. Swallow and hold it to hide the Adam's Apple. The best results I've had so far is a Fatboy with a Derby Premium. Set to "9", I find I can actually bear down and apply a lot of pressure without paying a price for it.

I think getting the BBS on the neck seems to a widespread issue on the forum. I've taken the approach to not chase BBS under the chin, do my best, and call it good. My issue is ATG, rather than XTG - that's east to west for my beard growth.

That said, I can get really close using my Rockwell 6S (plate 4) and Parker SB Variant (setting 2) consistently. I also seem to be able to get a smoother finish with 2+ day beard growth, as opposed to daily. It must be something to do with longer whiskers being cut closer (?).

Thanks all. Think I’ll follow your lead and go for DFS all over and try not to keep feeling my neck for bristles after shaving!

Appreciate the good advice.

Cheers,
Russell.

I don’t go for bbs under my chin. However, what works best for me is to combine the bullfrog technique with an XTG stroke.

The bullfrog technique is the opposite of skin stretching. You point your chin downward to make the skin puff out and be the opposite of tight. It seems counter intuitive at first but in that specific spot it works much better than skin stretching. Ymmv.

Top Bottom