What's new

navy or airforce

Derek, my son is an Air Force recruiter. This is his second tour as a recruiter, this time recruiting medical personnel in the northeast.
I've certainly heard the pitch, and it's a good one. They'll pay off your schooling. But you have to contact them a year before you graduate, because it takes them that long to set it all up.
My son started as an HVAC tech, then became a recruiter. His life in the AF has been great. Mostly 8-5, M-F.
He went from being an 18 year old punk kid with a ged to a 27 year old Staff Sergeant with a bachelor's degree. Working on his Masters.
I have to say that, as a father, the USAF has been a dream come true.
I believe the military is a fine career for a young man.

wow thanks for the info i have alot of ppl telling me that airforce is the way to go. also i looked at job ops in the airforce and the xray tech is something im studying for in college and since they have it in the airforce i think im going to do that

Good idea.

Also, at least when I went in, they gave us like a 5 choice preference list for bases. Most people got their first or second choices about where they ended up.

Once you are in for a while you kind of hear about traveling around a lot....it's the Air Force right?

One thing I truly miss about the Air Force is the ability to travel for relatively inexpensive too. You can catch what they call hops on military planes to cool locations for mini-vacations on leave. Or maybe you can go TDY (temporary duty) to other bases throughout the world....(I only met one guy who served in greenland, and I think he requested that one).

I've had friends stationed in Japan, Germany, Italy, and a good buddy right now is at a base near London.

I know travel isn't necessarily important to everyone, but most guys absolutely love being stationed overseas.

They'll ask you when you join if you are interested in that....FYI I'd say yes, because when you get your assignment it may be 4 years before they'll ask you again.

That doesn't include hops and TDY's, but I'd go be stationed in europe or japan if I could......so many awesome stories about those places from anyone and everyone I've ever met who went. :thumbup:

I have spent time on active duty in both the Navy and the Air Force, as well as time as a traditional reservist. Currently I am a Master Sergeant in the AF. The two services are similar only in the fact that your pay comes from the government. Other than that, there are more differences than similarities. The most important questions have been asked – what do you want to do? What do you expect the military to do for you? Both branches have unique things to offer. If you choose the correct career path, both will offer training that will equate to extreme employability when you decide to hang up the uniform.

Regardless of the branch you choose, know that going in you will be at the bottom of a very well established pecking order. You will be trained in whatever job you choose, but will have to work hard to master that job in order to earn the respect of your leaders.

Talk to recruiters from both branches. Ask specific questions about the transferability of skills into the civilian world. Under no circumstances should you sign a contract without a written guarantee of the tech school (Air Force) or A-school (Navy) for your chosen career field. Doing so will result in you being assigned to whatever field the service needs bodies in (an you are qualified for based on your ASVAB scores). Good luck with whichever branch you choose.

Feel free to PM any specific questions I may be able to answer about general life in either branch.

First, let me say you posed the right question. Having been in the Air Force for 15 years and having served alongside the Navy, Army and Marine Corps too many times to count I concur that Navy or Air Force are your best options. Don't get me wrong, I'm wholly grateful for both Soldiers and Marines. We couldn't do it without them. All branches of service are vital to our nations ability to do what we do but the Navy and Air Force are head and shoulders above the Army/Marines in terms of standards of living, treatment of their people and more importantly in how they deal with deployments and families.

That said, don't join any branch just because times are tough and/or you can't find a job. If you are going to join it needs to be for deeper reasons. It needs to be for deep personal reasons. If you join for a paycheck you'll likely be unhappy. If you join for the right reasons it can turn out to be quite the rewarding opportunity whether you do a few years or a few decades.

Guys this post wasn't meant as a this branch is better or as a slam in any way on Marines or Soldiers so please don't take any of my comments that way.

This thread is full of great advice.

I have great respect for all of our branches of service!

OP, if you have any pointed questions feel free to PM me and I'll help you in any way I can.

Last edited:
As an ex-navy submariner I would say go in the Navy. I had a great time for the six years I was in. Sure there are long hours and hard work but it helps to make one a more responsible adult and marketable skills. I am still in contact with my shipmates to this day though I got out 30 years ago.

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" -- John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
I served 25 years in the UK Royal Navy and have just celebrated my fifth anniversary in the Canadian Navy, so you can guess my recommendation. As several posts have already mentioned, joining the military is not a decision to be taken lightly. It is a vocation that will instill you with a unique set of values and camaraderie that you will be hard placed to find in civilian life, whichever force you decide to join. You need to have a good chat with a recruiter to see what options are open to you and what trades 'float your boat', pardon the pun. I do know that, as with other countries militaries, the US has an excellent education programme so there are many options open to you. Have a great day :)

Last edited:
I have no experience in the military, and this may have already been raised..if I were to join, I'd be looking at something I could work with later when I went back into civilian life. I guy where i work used to be some sort of military aircraft engineer in the UK. He can't find a job in that field now. Learning a trade is a good way to go IMO. Hope this helps.

A big +1 on Slaglerock's advise - the military is a serious commitment now, not a fallback position when you can't find anything else. Remember, we're in 2 wars now and soldiers are dying out there almost every day. You need to be committed to the concept and aware of the consequences of your decisions.

I'm all for joining the armed forces. I hope to join the military as a healthcare provider, but don't limit yourself because of the situation you're currently in. Life is filled with chaos and that chaos is always in motion. Military life is not easy and it's not like a normal job; you can't quit when you want to.

Good luck on your decision. I will point out that I'm glad you are taking charge of your life instead of sitting back and letting things happen to you.

thank you im glad someone notices lol and actually i am going in as a health provider :biggrin1:

First, let me say you posed the right question. Having been in the Air Force for 15 years and having served alongside the Navy, Army and Marine Corps too many times to count I concur that Navy or Air Force are your best options. Don't get me wrong, I'm wholly grateful for both Soldiers and Marines. We couldn't do it without them. All branches of service are vital to our nations ability to do what we do but the Navy and Air Force are head and shoulders above the Army/Marines in terms of standards of living, treatment of their people and more importantly in how they deal with deployments and families.

That said, don't join any branch just because times are tough and/or you can't find a job. If you are going to join it needs to be for deeper reasons. It needs to be for deep personal reasons. If you join for a paycheck you'll likely be unhappy. If you join for the right reasons it can turn out to be quite the rewarding opportunity whether you do a few years or a few decades.

Guys this post wasn't meant as a this branch is better or as a slam in any way on Marines or Soldiers so please don't take any of my comments that way.

This thread is full of great advice.

I have great respect for all of our branches of service!

OP, if you have any pointed questions feel free to PM me and I'll help you in any way I can.

i understand what your saying i also want to go in for school as well since i can further my degree and they pay for it so i dont see a problem

When I was in HS, I was considering both of these options as well. I settled on the Nuclear Power program in the Navy (took and passed the test and everything), and I even had started the process to get accepted to the Naval Academy (was asked to play ball there). But, I got a baseball scholarship locally, and decided to stay closer to home. I've always wondered how that would have turned out, but I'm quite happy with my life now.

The point of my story is during all my years of talking about careers in the Navy, I am greeted with a lot of stories confirming that I was choosing the "right" two branches. Interestingly enough (mind you this is what I've been told), when cadets graduate from the Naval Academy, they can pick their job based on how they are ranked in their class. My first instinct was that Pilots slots would always be the first to go, but I was told that wasn't right. Nuclear Power is the most sought after job... In this time of uncertain natural resource supplies, instability in the oil rich regions, and other environmental concerns... Nuclear power might be a good consideration (if you can get in the program). The career opportunities after your time in the Navy would be pretty good too from what I understand. All the best in your decision.

The Air Force is a great alternative to military service, I'll give you that.

(Oh no, Topgumby hopes he has not made masters of the great Iron Birds annoyed!)

:lol:

I'm a USAF vet myself. Whichever choice you make will be the right one, I'm sure. Just be sure that you understand the commitment you'll be making. Even if danger is only the most remote possibility, you need to be personally ready to do whatever is necessary in the service of our nation. Never let your fellow GI's down.

I saw some guys, in multiple branches of service, get cold feet when they realized that war/danger/death can be part of military service, despite their "safe" jobs. I'm sure you know this already but this old guy still likes to remind everyone that they're going all in when they swear in. Serve well.

I'm a Veteran of the US Navy, and back in 1975, when I was looking at which branch to join

1975 what a great year! I was born in '75 :001_tt2:

wow thanks for the info i have alot of ppl telling me that airforce is the way to go. also i looked at job ops in the airforce and the xray tech is something im studying for in college and since they have it in the airforce i think im going to do that

If you are looking at the med field I'd definitely agree with this as well. Finish that degree first, come in with a commission. :thumbup1: A brand new 2LT makes about as much money as the average enlisted guy of 10-12 years.

If you "want" to be in the Combat Arms fields I would suggest the Army.

That would depend on how you define Combat Arms. I am a Combat Arms Instructor in the Air Force. Our job entails teaching all small arms in the inventory up to and including .50 cals, MK19's, 81mm Mortars, Claymore Mines and all types of grenades. We are also the go to people for all gunsmithing needs. Its not uncommon for us to fix things for the Navy, Army and Marines that they either cannot or don't know how to fix. Also, right this very moment there are USAF cops doing the same exact jobs as Soldiers all over Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have a long time friend and former Navy Seal of 10 years who swears up and down that Air Force Pararescuemen and Combat Controllers are the "baddest of the bad".

I think more often than not people (sometimes even those serving in the military) don't fully understand what the other branches do or what they are capable of doing.

I've had friends stationed in Japan, Germany, Italy, and a good buddy right now is at a base near London.

This is one of the greatest things about military life (in any branch). I've been to 6 of 7 continents (missed a trip to Antarctica by about 15 minutes and two stripes :lol:). If you want to see the world the military can definitely do that for you if you take advantage of the opportunities.

A big +1 on Slaglerock's advise - the military is a serious commitment now, not a fallback position when you can't find anything else. Remember, we're in 2 wars now and soldiers are dying out there almost every day. You need to be committed to the concept and aware of the consequences of your decisions.

I couldn't agree more.

thank you im glad someone notices lol and actually i am going in as a health provider :biggrin1:

Like I said, finish that degree first! Commissioning at the time you join is typically more successful than trying to do so after enlisting.

i understand what your saying i also want to go in for school as well since i can further my degree and they pay for it so i dont see a problem

This is probably one of the most under appreciated and under used benefits of the military. How anyone can retire without a degree is beyond me.

This isn't meant to poke fun or offend. Truthfully at the risk of offending Soldiers/Marines I think (generally speaking) that there are more technical/skilled career fields available to the average Airmen or Sailor than there are for the average Soldiers/Marines. If you look at everyday civilian life these are the same people that tend to have a better working environment than the grunts of civilian life.

I'm a USAF vet myself. Whichever choice you make will be the right one, I'm sure. Just be sure that you understand the commitment you'll be making. Even if danger is only the most remote possibility, you need to be personally ready to do whatever is necessary in the service of our nation. Never let your fellow GI's down.

I saw some guys, in multiple branches of service, get cold feet when they realized that war/danger/death can be part of military service, despite their "safe" jobs. I'm sure you know this already but this old guy still likes to remind everyone that they're going all in when they swear in. Serve well.

This can't be said enough and as I mentioned earlier the military should be your plan not your fallback.

I wish you and anyone considering joining any branch of service the best of luck and I commend you for considering such a noble vocation. Any Airman, Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Coast Guardsman who has had boots in the sand, jets in the air, or ships in hostile waters) has nothing but respect from me. I know we can't do it without one another and the world would be a far nastier place without all of us.

Last edited:
Slagle-

No doubt your AF ROE were more liberal...a civilian has more latitude on a shooting than a cop does!
I worked in the communications field, and the Marines I worked with were a pretty sharp, speaking of ASVAB scores. You'll run in to all kinds in all the services, and there is a Hell of a lot of variation as to what experiences and what your lot in life can be...I probably had more in common with most of my Air Force peers than I did with the kids knocking down doors in the infantry, Marines or Army. A career in the USMC air wing will be vastly different than one in an AP unit or as a Navy SEAL.
-
Yeah, the Air Force is the logical choice for somebody looking to draw a DOD paycheck while maintaining something close to a civilian lifestyle, including creature comforts. It's so much so that hile it's a grand career with many technical opportunities, it's in general missing many of the experiences that make military life memorable, IMO.

There's nothing wrong with that, and the nation needs all the capabilities that all the services bring.

Oh, and the AF guys probably weren't in those pictures because they were taken before noon....

Really, my hat's off to anybody who's currently serving. I'm just a drain on the system now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always enjoy following discussions like this. For the most part, those who respond are people who enjoyed and benefited from their service, and they can provide the best advice. Take what a recruiter tells you with a grain of salt. They aren't your guidance counselor and their objective is to get people on the bus. In the end, no matter what you choose, make sure you get it in writing.

I can also understand that it is difficult to decide what branch to choose if you are interested in a post-military career. You need detailed information about programs and benefits and you have to weigh all of that. Truth be told, if you are joining the military because of the benefits you'll accrue afterward, the Air Force would probably be your best choice. Becoming a Marine is a terrible way to plan for what you are going to do when you become a civilian again.

On the other hand, if your choice is based upon what you want to be now, you might think about it differently. To become a Marine will make you into someone that you can't yet imagine. It will change you and sharpen you in ways that you will never understand until you do it. You'll build something inside yourself that you will carry for the rest of your life. When you get out, you will still have GI Bill benefits. You can always use that to go to school and become an X-Ray technician, an IT guy, or a dental tech or whatever you want. But you can never use those benefits to become a Marine.

Just something to think about. Good luck with your choice!

The Air Force is a great alternative to military service, I'll give you that.

(Oh no, Topgumby hopes he has not made masters of the great Iron Birds annoyed!)

:lol:

Military service here at B&B is something that's taken quite seriously.... so serious in fact, we have a special badge we honor veterans with, the same badge which is adorned under your name. We don't care what country you served for, or what your position was/is - if you're currently in the service, or have previously been in the service, we take our hats off for you and thank you for your dedication, and contribution(s) - however big, or small they may be.

With the above out of the way - let me just say how disappointed I am in your post above. I can only imagine your intent was humor, but it failed... miserably. ANYONE who is serving in ANY branch deserves appreciation or at the very least, respect for what they're doing and to give a fellow serviceman a double middle finger like that is downright sickening. How many men and women here do you think have served in the airforce, you've just now insulted? How many of these fine folks are away from their families right now, signing in to get a "piece of home" here on B&B, only to stumble upon this? Well... I don't know for sure, but I DO know at least two who got in touch with me, and they're mighty, mighty pissed off fellas.

Slagle-

No doubt your AF ROE were more liberal...a civilian has more latitude on a shooting than a cop does!
I worked in the communications field, and the Marines I worked with were a pretty sharp, speaking of ASVAB scores. You'll run in to all kinds in all the services, and there is a Hell of a lot of variation as to what experiences and what your lot in life can be...I probably had more in common with most of my Air Force peers than I did with the kids knocking down doors in the infantry, Marines or Army. A career in the USMC air wing will be vastly different than one in an AP unit or as a Navy SEAL.
-
Yeah, the Air Force is the logical choice for somebody looking to draw a DOD paycheck while maintaining something close to a civilian lifestyle, including creature comforts. It's so much so that hile it's a grand career with many technical opportunities, it's in general missing many of the experiences that make military life memorable, IMO.

There's nothing wrong with that, and the nation needs all the capabilities that all the services bring.

Oh, and the AF guys probably weren't in those pictures because they were taken before noon....

Really, my hat's off to anybody who's currently serving. I'm just a drain on the system now.

This is no better than the first and is obviously the musings of an ignoramus.

You've ruined the days of several fine folks (one of which I know personally - who has been away from his family for MONTHS serving this country) and brought tremendous shame upon yourself, and this forum.

Nothing short of a heartfelt apology should be your further contribution here. :thumbdown

Top Bottom