What's new

“Natural” deodorant?

So, I’ve started the transition off of anti perspirant to see if I can stop stopping my body from what it is supposed to do, but also not smell like a gym sock...I’ve used dove and Mitchum forever, and recently switched to Native. It worked “okay” for the 30 days I’ve tried but holy heck is it expensive for just okay. Is there a general consensus or couple products people are liking these days?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As I recall, bacteria specific to your armpits and an area south of your navel is what cause bromodosis (B.O.). So I'm thinking that you have to kill the bacteria and keep the areas as dry as possible. Like you didn't already know this. I bought some stuff a while back that was all "natural" that didn't work for me for more than 6 hours or so, and I'm not what you would call real active.

I have two chunks of deodorant from Lush. They are great, have been using them for years. Wear rate is glacial but whilst sold as deodorant I find they definitely inhibit perspiration.

+1

Alum is great. I use it every shave for grip/traction on my fingers, some shaves for aftershave and occasionally for deodorant

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Below is all I use. No body odor issues even when I work 16 hour shifts outside in 100°+ temperatures.

29ECA332-E625-4E27-A383-3EFEF8BA4700.png

Trying this the last two days. So far so good and it’s been warm here. Put it on yesterday before work and I didn’t notice a significant stink after my work out this am. Seems to be acting like a decent AP too despite that it is not advertised as such. Scent is a little like grade school paste!!
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try witch hazel also.

Witch hazel does work, but I find that a second, mid- or end-of-day application is needed to the pits. One can also scent it with essential oils, being sparing with these of course. Otherwise, I use potassium alum as mentioned. The latter works quite well.

Thanks all for the insight and ideas so far! I know that the aluminum in antiperspirant causing Alzheimer’s etc is a unproven debate thus far, but if it were accurate...would “alum” also have the same active aluminum ingredient level? Trying to go the “not putting excessive stuff” into my body route if possible.

FarmerTan

I think how you chose your grandparents has the most to do with getting Alzheimer's.

You can also just buy regular deodorant without antiperspirant
+1
That's what works best for me. I like all the men's fragrances of Tom's of Maine. I like Old Spice Fiji, and would probably like others as well.

If you wanted to go super cheap and natural, you could try baking soda to see whether it works for you.

Before I switched to Native, I used Arm and Hammer Essentials Fresh. Out of all the natural deodorants I had tried (Alum block, Schmidts, Tom's) it was the only one that didn't have me stinking in just a few hours. Worked great but eventually started giving me a rash and discoloration, so I had to stop. But I have really sensitive skin so perhaps it will work better for you!

FarmerTan

Before I switched to Native, I used Arm and Hammer Essentials Fresh. Out of all the natural deodorants I had tried (Alum block, Schmidts, Tom's) it was the only one that didn't have me stinking in just a few hours. Worked great but eventually started giving me a rash and discoloration, so I had to stop. But I have really sensitive skin so perhaps it will work better for you!
My wife is one of those freaks that rarely sweats, and never stinks. When she uses anything, which is maybe once a month, it's Tom's.

My wife is one of those freaks that rarely sweats, and never stinks. When she uses anything, which is maybe once a month, it's Tom's.
I am green with envy. If I wait more than an hour to apply deo after a shower, I can sit at my desk doing nothing and still smell. Unfair!

FarmerTan

I am green with envy. If I wait more than an hour to apply deo after a shower, I can sit at my desk doing nothing and still smell. Unfair!
Years ago, over 15, I was listening to NPR, and they mentioned a dentist who was working on breeding bacteria that would breed with the cavity causing bacteria in our mouths, and that they would cause the nasty ones to go extinct through breeding with these bacteria that couldn't reproduce. Hasn't happened yet, and they made it sound like it would be just a week or so and we could all throw our toothbrushes away.

I was in nursing skool at the time and thought "why not try it with our naughty bits to make them smell better?" I have lots of weird thoughts.

Top Bottom