What's new

National Whiskey Sour Day

Saturday, August 25th. is National Whiskey Sour Day in the US - maybe even everywhere else in the world (at least it should be). I just stocked up on lemons. I already had everything else.

Bourbon (Evan Williams) - Check.
Lemons - Check.
Simple syrup - Check.
Ice - Check

Gentlemen, you still have time to review your supplies. Cheers!

What...no cherry?

Four Roses is usually my mixing bourbon but for a national event I'll do Buffalo Trace. :biggrin1:

Please explain to the non-US residents.. What is a good recipe? What is the simple syrup? What's the preparation procedure?

Normally I don't miss drinking at all. But anytime I hear the words 'whiskey', 'bourbon' or 'scotch', I get a little itch.

Enjoy!!:thumbup:

My "recipe" is 3-2-1 (approximately). This is a simple cocktail that does not require exactitude to do a creditable job. Three parts whiskey (I use bourbon), two parts fresh squeezed lemon juice (about a half lemon per drink) and one part simple syrup. Shake with ice and strain over fresh ice, if to guests, or just pour drink and ice into a rocks glass. I skip the cherry and/or lemon rind garnish. Some purists add a spoon of egg white to the mix, prior to shaking. I do not.

Simple syrup is just equal parts of sugar and water (by volume). Heat to a boil, until sugar is dissolved, then let cool to room temperature before using. Can be stored in a refrigerator for a few weeks.

Last edited:
I have Evan Williams and sweet and sour mix... does that count?!

Not as good as fresh squeezed, but better than nothing. I have given up on any kind of mix. Once I got a taste of fresh ingredients, I never looked back.

Evan William is what I'll be pouring, too.

Not as good as fresh squeezed, but better than nothing. I have given up on any kind of mix. Once I got a taste of fresh ingredients, I never looked back.

Evan William is what I'll be pouring, too.

+1. A few weeks from now you will wonder how old that bottle of mix is. Just squeeze the lemon..

I'm doing my bit. Happened to have a bottle of bourbon that didn't suit me any other way, so I whipped up a whiskey sour and it is quite nice.

- 3 parts Johnny Drum 101
- 1 part simple syrup
- 1/2 part concentrated lemon juice (yeah, I know)

Pretty darn good, but I think the next one might have a bit more lemon juice in it.

This thread motivated me. Makers Mark over FRESH lemon juice. I really put my hips into the shake too. It will be a revelation with fresh squoze juice.

Top Bottom