What's new

Nano grit sprays on Tony Miller practice Horsehide and Paragon Steerhide

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well, I got the 0.128 CBN spray and proceeded to use it in one of my two new DIY Tony Miller like en strops. This first experiment was a disaster as I ended up rounding the edge on my Ti Gd shorty srt8. last night I finished re-honing the edge :blushing:

Ooops! At least you like honing right? :smile: I found that it is very hard to overcook an edge on CBN, so excessive laps shouldn't be a problem.

Ooops! At least you like honing right? :smile: I found that it is very hard to overcook an edge on CBN, so excessive laps shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, honing on lapping film is fairly straight forward for even a newbie like myself (no pun intended).

Looking back, I think the problem was two-fold:
- the linen is not "smooth", so with the abrasive CBN in the fibers there was some rounding going on by itelf
- I did not held the linen stout enough - I think this made the problem above worst, and helped rounding the edge even faster

I have not given up experimenting with the .125 CBN - in fact I am just getting started :001_smile. I have a new premium strop coming to me soon, so I am thinking about trying the 0.125 CBN spray on my current (soon to be old) 2" black latigo leather strop. Since that is smoother, that might be a better surface to try the CNB with.

I have a Spyderco 8x3 Ultra-File ceramic bench stone (that I bought several years ago, before I got into wet shaving), that I have been wanting to try as a finisher stone, but I am trying it out with some of the 0.125 CBN spray, which is something that I have seen as a good combo in some older threads. So far I like what I see on the 45x scope :001_smile, but of course the real test is shaving with it.

Experimenting is definitely a fun part of this hobby!

Last edited:
Kent,

Thanks again for the feedback/help. Today I had a GREAT shave, perhaps one of my best, and it was almost as good as my Feather & KAI Mild Guard blade combo.

I started by putting a single layer of black tape (Super 88) on my lowly Gold Dollar, and used lapping film from 30, to 12, to 5, and finally 3u. I then used my Spyderco Ultra Fine 8x3 stone, with the 0.125 CNB spray as slurry, and slowly diluted that with plain water. I then did like 20-30 laps on leather with 0.5CrO dry paste, and finally used my used/old black latigo leather with the 0.125 CNB on it, for like 10-15 passes. Then finally stropped in my Tony Miller plain cotton strop (like 30-40 times) and then finished with about 40-50 laps on my Tony Miller plain leather strop (I of course cleaned the blade in between these steps as to not contaminate my nice TM strop!). The two-pass shave was awesome (a very nice DFS, which is my goal), with zero razor burn - it was a revelation for me as to how good a str8 edge shave can be!

Now, the quest would be: how do I "maintain" that edge for the next couple of shaves? I am thinking I will try like no more than 5 passes on the latigo leather + 0.125 CNB, then the TM cotton and TM leather strop, and see how that feels like.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Nice!

Maybe start a new thread to see how you can best maintain that edge. Your experience might get buried in this old thread. :)

Nice!

Maybe start a new thread to see how you can best maintain that edge. Your experience might get buried in this old thread. :)
Big plus 1 to that, interesting thread!

Certainly true that it is damn near impossible to over do an edge on 0.125/0.1 CBN.

I personally have found that a quick touch-up about every 3-4 shaves on CBN is a good way to go.
Usually 5 laps on a 3x8 nano-cloth 0,1µCBN treated strop.

Then stropping on clean leather. No need for cotton/linen IMO after the CBN.

try a few sprays on the UF....

also go to walmart fabric section and get some FINE weave canvas and make you a canvas strop with that.... then toss it in the washing machine to clean it proper and after drying spray the living poop out of it with the CBN.... *(also see if you can get some .5micron diamond paste and work that into the canvas.....)

you'll thank me later...

try a few sprays on the UF....

also go to walmart fabric section and get some FINE weave canvas and make you a canvas strop with that.... then toss it in the washing machine to clean it proper and after drying spray the living poop out of it with the CBN.... *(also see if you can get some .5micron diamond paste and work that into the canvas.....)

you'll thank me later...

That does sound interesting to try. I recently was able to use a borrowed W&B wedge, and all I did before using it was touch it up (5-10 passes) on the black leather with 0.125u CBN, and then strop on my TM strop, and it was a phenomenal shave.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Brownbear, I think the problem is in your cedar strop. It is too hard. Balsa deforms slightly even with light pressure, giving a slight convexity to the edge. Try with Balsa. And your finest grade on hanging leather, pulled nice and tight, light pressure on the razor. That should give you a kinder edge with still a lot of sharpness.

Top Bottom