What's new

My Shave and Stuff Log

Shave #1

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra (Found a small stash, when did I get those?)
Shave cream: Cremo

First time trying the Astra. Shaved after shower. Hand applied Cremo to face as usual.

Result: auugghhhhhh! 1 cut, about 5 small pricks, and skin irritation afterwards! I almost never cut myself! So it must be the Astra? That blade was the only new thing to my routine. Well, maybe I didn’t use enough hot water to prep my face.

This was a Just Get It Done shave. Not fun, not pleasant. Gotta work to improve both!

I got some new product coming for Shave #2. (Including an alum block, which is supposed to help stop bleeding?)

Welcome and congratulation on your first shave log entry! Are you a new DE shaver or have done this for a while? Yes alum block will help with cuts, but if they are a bit stubborn a styptic pen is even better. Sounds like a bit rough shave there. Remember no pressure and hang in there. Heal up quickly.

Welcome! I sometimes shave with the Merkur 33c, which is the three-piece version of the 34c. I've noticed I have blade alignment issues sometimes, where one side has positive blade exposure and the other negative. Also, the blade can be askew from the safety bar. Might your cuts and nicks be the product of blade alignment?

Welcome! I sometimes shave with the Merkur 33c, which is the three-piece version of the 34c. I've noticed I have blade alignment issues sometimes, where one side has positive blade exposure and the other negative. Also, the blade can be askew from the safety bar. Might your cuts and nicks be the product of blade alignment?
You might be right about the misalignment. I took a close look after installing the blade and it seemed a bit off. I flipped it around and tried again, same strange look. So I just shrugged and shaved anyway. I never noticed any misalignments with past blades, but I’ve rarely checked for that in the past. 🤷‍♂️

Shave #2

The TLDR: Best shave I’ve ever had, even with the one cut, which was my fault.

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra
@Jay21 was correct! I could see the blade was misalígnea. I reinstalled blade and checked for proper alignment. Perfect!

New products to me:
Proraso green pre shave
Proraso green shave cream
Alum block
Proraso Green aftershave

Cut near my lip because I tried a different stroke technique that I saw on YouTube. Not for me, I’ll go back to what works for me.

Result: 4 star shave! Might have been 5 stars if it wasn’t for the cut. I think I achieved BBS, I’ve never had such smooth skin after a shave! Skin just feels great!
⭐⭐⭐⭐
😁

Top Bottom