What's new

My review of the Bevel shaving system

This is a wordy rambling of a review, I understand it's boring and probably most won't want to bother reading it (don't blame you lol) so I'll post a summary for the TL;DR crowd.

Pricey
Expensive looking
worked well for my initial shave, no irritation and the razor + blade were both freaking amazing.

INTRO - INITIAL IMPRESSION - BEFORE 1ST USE

I randomly discovered the Bevel Shaving System a few weeks ago. I don't even remember what I was looking for when I stumbled upon it, but I did. It's a DE shaving kit that's made for men who have coarse thick hair and suffer from razor bumps. While outside of the testimonials, the web site doesn't specifically say it's a product that was developed for men of color. Shaving is shaving (in the end) but this is most definitely geared towards men of color from a marketing standpoint. If you look at the pictures of men on the web site, almost all are black. I'm surely not a black man, and I don't suffer from razor bumps, my skin... I could probably dry shave against the grain and still not get any razor bump lol. So I really don't fall into any of the target demography for this. But my logic is, if it works well on men with typically unruly hair who have skin that's prone to razor bumps and ingrown hair. It should be fantastic for anyone else right? I do have very odd facial hair though, it's a bit coarse and fairly thick. I did some Googling for reviews and most of what I found was positive. The majority were from black men. I did find a few Youtube videos of fellow Caucasian males who said they liked the system. And the unflattering reviews were mostly due to the price. It's subscription based, and breaks down to about $100 for a 3 month supply. You can cancel at any time (still have to finish paying the remainder of the 3 months) and you can pause the shipment at any time. I think they only allow a 1 week or 1 month pause though. In a few months Target will start carrying the line. Not sure if it's going to be B&M or just online. But, you'll be able to get whatever you want, instead of an entire kit.

I'm a sucker for shiny objects, so long as they perform well, everything in the kit looks absolutely beautiful imho. And since the review I found were mostly favorable I decided to give it a shot. It's billed monthly @ 29.95 for 3 months. With S&H & tax it puts it right at $100. Definitely not cheap, but my setup prior was all The Art Of Shaving, now I've never kept track of how long what I buy lasts. So I can't comment on how it compares to Bevel price wise, but I can say for sure that TAOS is expensive, possibly even more than Bevel. I know plenty of good brands exists out there that are substantially cheaper. But like I said shiny objects tend to pull me in me lol. And IMHO TAOS and Bevel both look super clean left out on my bathroom counter. My Proraso stuff's definitely great quality, but the packaging has always lead to me leaving it in my medicine cabinet. That's a superficial thing, I understand many people don't care and many always keep their products out of sight any ways. Oh, check out my ghetto $6 home made lather bowl in the back. I bought a square cereal bowl and a souffle dish at target. It works pretty well, I wanted to build my own Scuttle, but after a few minutes of thought, I realized I didn't have the skills to pull it off. The bowls kind of small but I've learned how to make good lather in it.

proxy.php

The packaging is absolutely beautiful, it looks expensive (lol it is...) a heavy cardboard box which is beveled on 1 edge. You open it and everything is secured in with some sticky rubber to keep it in place. Does any of this matter? Ultimately no, but it sure looks nice. I'll be keeping the box for sure. Another nice touch is it comes with a small quick start guide with drawings showing you how to DE shaving. I already know how but for a 1st timer it's a nice touch. One could just Google and find better and more idepth guides sure, but for a person new to DE it's better than nothing. I know when I went from cart to DE I could have used a quick start guide. I also like how the guide tells you how much to use. When I 1st started to DE shave, I was unknowingly using way too much of everything. Which isn't so much of a big deal if you're using inexpensive stuff. But, if you're dropping $100 for Pre/Post & shaving cream from TAOS, or another high priced brand. Using even 2x too much will = $$$ real quick. IF you use the recommended amounts of everything this kit's suppose to last you 3 months. They don't say it's enough product to shave every day for 90 days. They don't say exactly give a number, other than you should shave every day for the few weeks, then shave at least every other day. I will say this, even without having used it once, you're not getting a lot of product. The shaving cream's 3.6oz, where my AOS is 5. That's a pretty big difference. So if you're going to shave every day, you definitely will have to pay attention to how much you're using. Also they have an 800 number for members who need 1 on 1 shaving help. Won't be something I ever use, but it's an interesting thing to offer.

proxy.php

A lot of thought went into the design of this razor, I saw the Futur at the AOS store Rancho store and was drooling over it. I can't say this looks better, but this is one of the sexiest razors I've seen.

proxy.php

Here it is next to my Merkur.

proxy.php

On the top it has the Bevel logo, which just add's to the visual appeal of the kit.

proxy.php

The razor's BEAUTIFUL, like stunning to the point I don't want to use it because it will eventually get dirty and old looking no matter how careful I am or how much I clean it lol. While there's nothing wrong with how my Merkur looks, but this sucker's just on a whole other level. I've been wanting a Murker Futur for awhile now, and this has quenched that thirst. But looks mean nothing if there's no substance. Upon picking it up it felt good in my hand. I don't know where my food scales at so I can't weigh both, it definitely is heavier. Not a whole not, and not overly heavy. The handle feels very smooth, which I'm not sure will be good when I'm actually shaving with it. We shall see.

The brush looks nice too, it really popped out at me. While it's not girly, I could see a female wanting to use it for her make up. As opposed to my brush, which is pretty bulky and females tend to not like how it looks much. But again, looks mean nothing if it won't enhance my shaving experience. It's not as bushy as mine, but that's partly due to mine being almost 2 years old and having been thru many many shavings. The hairs feel good, it's firm but not harsh. Their booklet recommends you do a face lather, but also explain you can use a bowl. I've never done a face lather, but tonight for my 1st shave I shall try it their way to see how I like it. Oh, I'm sure it's obvious but the Bevel brush is on the left.

proxy.php

A pic of my AOS tub next to the Bevel stuff, I like the AOS containers A LOT. And as much as I like Bevel's packaging, for now at least, I still like AOS better. Although when the glass bottles for the after shave lotion get low it's a pain to get it out.

proxy.php

I like how it looks on my counter, It doesn't exactly scream manly, but they have a nice elegant & classy feel. Of course now if I'm going to bowl lather I'm going to need to upgrade my ghetto creation lol.

proxy.php

The priming oil, shaving cream and after shave lotion all smell nice, but are mostly netural. Not strong or offensive, I tend to wear calogune any ways so I'm not too worried. IMHO I like my AOS better when it comes to fragrance.
What confuses me is it includes 60 blades, If you shaved every day for 2 weeks like they suggested, then every other day it would be 52 blades (unless my math sucks) 60 seems like a random number. I probably would never use a new blade very shave. even every other I'd only need 45. Any ways, you get 60 blades. And unsurprisingly they look identical to every other DE blade I've seen. Outside of the Shark stamping on my Super Chrome blades, I couldn't tell one from another. After I shave tonight I can give an assessment of how good the blades are. Since this kit caters to black men, who typically have very thick facial hair I would imagine these should be awesome. But, that's just an assumption at this point.

I'm sure some uber shaver on here can detect differences in the blades, dunno they look the same to me *shrug*

proxy.php

Even if like me, you don't mind dropping the cash on it this systems very pricey no matter how look at it. Is it worth it? That depends on your definition of the word. It would work out to about $1.11 a day if you shaved every day. Most people I know don't shave anywhere near that often. But us on these forums aren't anywhere near normal when it comes to shaving lol. While I can't say I shave every day, I do shave often. And buying this might get me back into the DE mode. When I 1st got my Merkur I shaved every day for a month and loved it. I think Bevel could re-ignite my desire to shave. But even if you only shave once a week, it'll still work out to $1.11 a shave. That's assuming there's enough product here to actually make it thru that 90 shaves. With how small the bottles are, I'm wary that even being frugal it's not going to last 90 shaves. Time will tell I guess.

FIRST SHAVE + IMPRESSION

The Razor's FANTASTIC, the handle did slip a bit in my hand when it got wet, will require some adjusting on my part. The weight was spot on, and the blade was superior to the Sharks I use. I was very impressed with how effortlessly it cut thru my hair. And while I don't get razor bumps, sometimes I get some redness on my neck and I can nick my soul patch and bleed easily at times. That area has always been a problem for me. There was zero irritation on my neck. And only a few small red spots on my soul patch, which were gone after about half an hour. This was the best shave I've had in a long time.

I didn't like the face lathering, I followed their technique and just didn't get much lather, and nothing was left on the brush for when I needed a 2nd pass. I'll chalk it up to probably doing it wrong, I shall take another 2 or 3 shots at it before I revert back to a bowl. I like the bowl method any ways, but I'm curious how well this method works when done correctly. I did really love how slick the razor was on it, I suspect when I get the water to cream ratio down it will be even better. It's been ages since I've used anything besides TAOS so I can't comment on how it compares to other popular soaps or shaving creams. The lubricity was excellent and I never felt any burn.

The priming oil's pretty smooth and slick, it has a sent but nothing like the Proraso I used the last few shaves. The restoring balm smells good, it goes on light and the fragrance is very mild and clean. I can't comment on how either work since this is the 1st time using them. But I shall report back every few weeks until the kits gone. Neither are sticky which is a huge plus. If the restoring balm can replace my AOS Ocean Kelp after shave lotion as my favorite, I'll be beyond impressed.

PROs:

• BEAUTIFUL razor, I don't know is it a sad thing that I'm so excited over how it looks? lol
  • The blades are sharp and cut cleanly. The shaving cream has good lubricity, since tonight was my 1st shave I can't comment on the pre shave, err primming oil or the after shave, err repairing balm.
  • While I can't comment on the effectiveness of those previous 2 products, my skin does feel great. And I don't feel or see any irritation. It's a pro, but given the price. This stuff should give flawless results here.

CONs:

• BEAUTIFUL razor, a con because I don't want to even touch it out of fear of making it look less beautiful lol.
  • Pricey, while I'm okay with the cost, I could see most not even giving it a 2nd thought. It could be cheaper, maybe when it hits Target it will drop in price. If it works well, I'll probably stay with it. But if it's turns out to not be tops I'll drop it in a heartbeat. TAOS is expensive, but it works beautifully for me.
  • This is a nit picky thing, while I'm not a manly man, I do like pre shave and after shave. Not priming oil & repairing balm. THANK GOD the shaving cream says shaving cream on the tube, I was scared it might have some unneeded complex new name. I understand their just words, but it sounds weird. I don't put on a repairing balm after a shave lol.
  • Biggest con at the moment, you can't buy anything separately. I know once Target starts to carry it that will change. What do I do if I use too much shaving cream and run out after 75 days? I can pay off rest of 3 months and re-order early? I don't even know what you can do, but it's ridiculous. At best they give you enough product, but there's definitely no excess of anything except blades.
  • A subscription only model imho is silly, it's a nice option for people who want it. But offer each thing on it's own. I know this is coming thankfully. Of course this isn't a con for me if after a month of using it I decide to revert back to my AOS stuff. Time shall revel. Thankfully if I don't end up renewing I at least have a sweet razor and pretty nice brush I'm left with.

I know I commented on the price as a con for some people, but if you need a good razor and brush, I'd say those 2 pieces alone while not quite, are worth semi-close to the price you pay for everything, and you can cancel after the 90 days is up. I'm curious how much those 2 will be when they start selling everything on it's own. Hummm if I cancel and sign up again do I get another razor and brush in my 1st shipment? lol

Last edited:
I have patience first thing in the morning with my first coffee, and I read the entire post! Very good review. Personally I would actually like to have one of the razor heads, and maybe the brush, but I am the opposite as I drool over cheap things. When I ordered the Rapira Tech razor, and the Lord Tech, I was a little overly excited.
Glad it worked out for ya. Hopefully you get the hang of face lathering. I too bowl lather, but for some reason when I use soaps, I face lather.

Thanks for the reply Cash_Stronomer, as I said even if I end up not liking it I don't see myself giving up on face lathering until I get it down.

Oh another point I forgot to mention, I didn't detect any animal *** odor on the brush. I know some brushes, especially when you soak them in hot water start to reek pretty badly. 1 thing I'd change about the system, they could include a nice high quality terry cloth hand towel for if you want to shave without showering. Or just to wipe your face off after the shave. I mention this because I only have crappy hand towels at the moment and a nice plush hand towel would have made the shave better :)

Oh and the compartment in the blade box for the used blades is much much smaller than the new blade compartment. The OCD in me doesn't want to put used blades in the same place new blades are. Plus I'm clumsy and will probably reach in and slice myself open lol.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for submitting your review. As an African-American DE shaver, your review caught my attention immediately since the Bevel targets my demographic. Unfortunately, my limited budget makes purchasing the Bevel system prohibitive, so I have to resort to reading reviews about it's performance instead of finding out for myself.

The first thing that's puzzled me about the Bevel is why it's targeted almost exclusively to African-Americans. Ethnicity is not really discussed in shaving forums. While the subject creeps into all manner of online discussions, I find it ironic that the one forum where the discussion of race may be useful it's never brought up. I decided through watching a Caucasian man shave in a YouTube video that the grade of my facial hair may require a few more passes than 3. Up until then I unquestionably accepted that 3 was the magic shaving number.

(Stop laughing. We can't ALL be geniuses...)

Other then that, I generally assume razors, with minor distinctions, generally perform the same way. What makes the Bevel so unique that a Black man would prefer it over...say...the Merkur FUTUR which I currently own? Is the Bevel system a question of functionality or marketing?

I sought the answer to that question in your review. I enjoyed reading it and found it highly informative, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for. Perhaps I'll have to wait for a review written by an experienced African-American DE shaver.

In any case, good job.

Last edited:
Any idea what the blades actually are. Assuming Personna, as their used by most people who badge their own things.

I am not a blade expert, I used a few random blades when I got my 1st DE setup, and since then it's been only Shark Chrome except for a single Feather Platinum a friend gave to me. I would like to know where the blades come from too, All I know is they shave smoother then the Sharks, which I've never had a problem with. If I kept renewing every 3 months I'd have a crapload of blades after a year lol. I change my Shark's ever 3-4 shaves. Blades are dirt cheap so I guess using a new one every 1-2 shaves wouldn't matter.

SABOTEURw.., I'm only guessing, obviously, but I have to go with just a marketing thing? To me, a DE is a DE is a DE. I think any difference in skin type or ethnicity, or hair type would be best sorted by blade choice. Just a thought?

SABOTEURw.., I'm only guessing, obviously, but I have to go with just a marketing thing? To me, a DE is a DE is a DE. I think any difference in skin type or ethnicity, or hair type would be best sorted by blade choice. Just a thought?

Being new to DE I tend to err on the side of "maybe there's something I don't know about this". But I agree...from what I've learned in my short time DE shaving, blade selection, face preparation and shaving technique seem to have a greater influence on shave quality than the razor itself.

First off, thank you for submitting your review. As an African-American DE shaver, your review caught my attention immediately since the Bevel targets my demographic. Unfortunately, my limited budget makes purchasing the Bevel system prohibitive, so I have to resort to reading reviews about it's performance instead of finding out for myself.

The first thing that's puzzled me about the Bevel is why it's targeted almost exclusively to African-Americans. Ethnicity is not really discussed in shaving forums. While the subject creeps into all manner of online discussions, I find it ironic that the one forum where the discussion of race may be useful it's never brought up. I decided through watching a Caucasian man shave in a YouTube video that the grade of my facial hair may require a few more passes than 3. Up until then I unquestionably accepted that 3 was the magic shaving number.

(Stop laughing. We can't ALL be geniuses...)

Other then that, I generally assume razors, with minor distinctions, generally perform the same way. What makes the Bevel so unique that a Black man would prefer it over...say...the Merkur FUTUR which I currently own? Is the Bevel system a question of functionality or marketing?

I sought the answer to that question in your review. I enjoyed reading it and found it highly informative, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for. Perhaps I'll have to wait for a review written by an experienced African-American DE shaver.

In any case, good job.

What makes it stand out, weather or not it actually does anything is the stuff in the bottles. The Razor looks nice, but it's a DE razor, the blades are just another brand repackaged. The chemical make up of the products are what could possibly make it work better for men of color. I helped my best friends son shave for the 1st time last year. He's black, and needless to say even with all the advice and help I gave him. It turned out disastrous. He had bumps all over his face the next day. The reviews I did find mostly did say it helped with razor bumps and in grown hairs (black guy reviews) but definitely wasn't anywhere near enough to make a solid conclusion. I think they're targeting Africian American males because nobody else is, outside of a few random products you see ad's for in the black hair mags. But the price of this + it being marketed to black men make it a very niche product. I don't even know if it'll be around in a years time. I know it works for me, but I'm not even who they're targeting to buy it. lol Although they want everyone to buy it. Hummm, it reminds me of the clothing line FUBU, but with that it was almost like they marketed it as made for black people to purposely get white people to buy it lol.

If Bevel can drop the price, sell in a non kit & open up the marketing they could have a success on their hands. Black people definitely do have very different needs skin and hair wise. This is why you don't see Paul Mitchel sold in black beauty shops, and you don't see Blue Magic sold in white beauty stores.

Last edited:
They discuss bumps on their website, but fail to mention or claim that they have a solution for them:

Well I tried posting a link but it didn't work. ??

Last edited:
What makes it stand out, weather or not it actually does anything is the stuff in the bottles. The Razor looks nice, but it's a DE razor, the blades are just another brand repackaged. The chemical make up of the products are what could possibly make it work better for men of color...The reviews I did find mostly did say it helped with razor bumps and in grown hairs (black guy reviews) but definitely wasn't anywhere near enough to make a solid conclusion. I think they're targeting Africian American males because nobody else is, outside of a few random products you see ad's for in the black hair mags. But the price of this + it being marketed to black men make it a very niche product.

Very good points. Sad to say that the problems Black men experience that these products claim to remedy could most likely be eliminated through simply learning how to shave properly and taking proper care of the skin.

They discuss bumps on their website, but fail to mention or claim that they have a solution for them:

Well I tried posting a link but it didn't work. ??

Clever marketing to associate the Bevel system with sound shaving advice. Specifically stating their product solves these problems might make them prime targets for future lawsuits.

I'm not surprised, though, that you couldn't post a link. They probably prefer to keep traffic on site rather than encourage visitors to browse somewhere else. They do, after all, have product to move.

Last edited:
Something's changed as far as the pricing is concerned. First, the razon and the brush are complimentary with the first installment. That first installment is on special right now for $60 payable $20/month for a three month supply. Then the next three month supply is shipped automatically...so the cost is actually $20/month. I agree, the stuff really looks sexy, but I wouldn't be interested as I've already selected the various products which I like. If I were just getting into wet shaving, I could probably be tempted.

I had a discussion on Twitter with the founder of Bevel pointing out that they haven't shown that the benefits of "the Bevel system" are any different from any DE razor. He didn't disagree but kept telling me to try it. I think their target consumer is someone who has money to spend but doesn't know anything about wet shaving.

I had a discussion on Twitter with the founder of Bevel pointing out that they haven't shown that the benefits of "the Bevel system" are any different from any DE razor. He didn't disagree but kept telling me to try it. I think their target consumer is someone who has money to spend but doesn't know anything about wet shaving.

I think you're right about Bevel targeting men unfamiliar with wet shaving. I've noticed as well (via Facebook promotion) that Bevel avoids directly addressing or responding to whether or not their product is distinctly different from other DE razors. There seems to be a pattern of responding to queries by enthusiastically suggesting the poster try the product.

I'm beginning to believe that Bevel is a quality product, but there might be difficulty for a new brand to enter the DE shaving market. Offering the brand primarily toward African-Americans may be a way to "get a foot in the door" until the brand becomes more familiar.

I'm beginning to believe that Bevel is a quality product, but there might be difficulty for a new brand to enter the DE shaving market. Offering the brand primarily toward African-Americans may be a way to "get a foot in the door" until the brand becomes more familiar.

Absolutely. They think there's an underserved and untapped market and trying to fill that niche. It makes good business sense.

I don't question the quality of their product. I haven't tried it and can in no way judge it. I my main contention is that it's not necessarily the best product for the amount of money one will be spending on an annual basis. If their customers really get into wet shaving then there's a good chance that they try other products and realize how much less they could be spending. Perhaps selling their products a la carte in Target will bring in new customers put off by the current subscription model.

Bevel is targeted to men of color because it was developed by one. The founder grew a beard for years because shaving was impossible for him without irritation. He learned about DE shaving, found it worked for him, and decided to make a business of spreading the word and selling it to others with the same problem.

Is it different than any other DE and associated products? Not remarkably, but any DE system can be a great solution for men with coarse curly hair who have trouble getting a good shave. Is it pricey? A bit. So is AOS. I think mechanics are pricey and mostly do my own maintenance on my family's vehicles. Not everyone is so inclined, and not everyone knows where to get DE supplies for less. Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the review, and I'm really glad to hear the whole kit seems to be quality stuff. The Micro Touch 1 has exposed lots of people to DEs but I don't really think it's putting our best foot forward. Maybe Bevel is. With Target picking up the line availability will go up, price will go down, and more people will be exposed to DE shaving. What's not to like? :)

Scott

Last edited:
Bevel is targeted to men of color because it was developed by one. The founder grew a beard for years because shaving was impossible for him without irritation. He learned about DE shaving, found it worked for him, and decided to make a business of spreading the word and selling it to others with the same problem.

I think that Bevel is missing out by narrowing their target audience. Any man of any color can benefit from these products, so why limit yourself by only marketing to African Americans?

The products look good. I appreciate his attention to detail, and when the software becomes available a-la-carte, I will probably try some.

I'm suspicious of subscription-based systems. I've had a few in the past, and products pile up faster than I can use them. For example, I had a subscription to Gevalia coffee beans, but even with a minimum order, they'd accumulate in the pantry and go stale before I could use them.

And with shaving gear, I can't ever see myself using the same thing day after day. If I did get a Bevel Kit in the house, it might only get into play a couple times a year, if that.

Last edited:
...If their customers really get into wet shaving then there's a good chance that they try other products and realize how much less they could be spending. Perhaps selling their products a la carte in Target will bring in new customers put off by the current subscription model.

Good point. I was aware of DE razors, but only vaguely familiar with shaving brushes and soaps, having an uninformed opinion that only snobs would bother to use such things...on the rare occasion that I thought about the subject at all. Micro Touch caught my attention when I sought to upgrade from the Sally Beauty Supply store DE I was using. I only discovered the online DE community and the art of wet shaving through wondering why the Micro Touch only performed minimally better than my BIC disposable. So I can see how others may discover the availability of other shaving products through being introduced to Bevel...if they're so inclined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom