RAZOR NAME: Variant Adjustable Safety Razor

COST: $57.00 (or there about)

SPECS:
Weight- 4 oz.
Handle Length- 3 1/2" (knurled Design)
Overall Length- 4"
Material- Brass, Satin Chrome Finish
Country of Manufacture- India

ABOUT: According to their website (so it must be true...), Parker Safety Razor products are hand crafted and undergo extensive engineering and quality testing. A family-owned business, Parker Safety Razor produces products that are a reflection of their commitment to excellence and value. Well, there you have it. They also claim to have been around since 1973. With that, I assume these are not the same people who make pens, but I could be wrong. If they did, they could combine the two, at which point my friend Ron would say, "Is it a pen that shaves, or a razor that writes?".

THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY:

GOOD-
As the owner of 4 double edge safety razors, and one face, I've got to say, this shaver has climbed to the top of my favorite razor list. I'm not sure if that's because it was the last one I purchased, or because I'm really digging this on-the-fly adjustable, super heavyweight, feedback singing, instrument of shavology.

The adjustment range is from 1 to 5, and NOT 1 to 11, as others might suggest if you read their reviews. Yes, you can give it one more 180 degree turn before it completely dismantles the head, but according to the directions, that's incorrect usage, and subject to jail time if you're caught. I've only gone up to 2.5, and have not had the inclination or need to take off more skin, at a higher level, so I'm not sure why someone would want to "turn it up to 11". What I really like about the adjuster, is that it seems really tight, and I don't have to worry about it moving out of adjustment once I've selected a number.

Weighing in at 4 oz, compared to my other razors, it felt more like 4 lbs. Now that I'm used to the weight, I really like the heft. There is no need to apply any pressure, just drive it across your face, and let it do its thing. The sound feedback this razor gives is quite amazing! I never thought I could play a tune while shaving, but this brass made instrument is a true challenger to the trumpet I once played poorly in middle school.

As far as post-shave results, this is a really good slicer, leaving me with a very smooth finish. It's also probably why I'm having such a hard time taking it out of rotation, and allowing the others to play. I've also experienced no nicks as of yet, and have been using this razor for several weeks now. The knurled handle is a nice touch, eliminating the need for a kung fu-style grip. The price-point on this adjustable razor is below most other adjustable styles I've seen on various websites. This makes it a really reasonable purchase if you're looking to dive into the adjustable razor end of the pool.

BAD-
This razor is (or was) available with a black finish on the handle, but apparently there have been issues with the finish coming off in short order. Those who have suffered such sorrow have said that Parker has been upstanding in replacing those, and have also gone back to correct the application process so as to eliminate any future unhappy customers. I have to say that thus far, my satin finished gem looks no less for wear. The other bad of this razor seems to be its current state of unavailability to the consumer wishing to lay down cash for said razor. I can only assume this is in direct correlation to the good I mentioned earlier.

UGLY-
The jury is still out on this satin finish look. Only time will tell if the wear and tear of periodic whisker removal causes unsightly blemishes. I do know that the shiny chrome finishes of my 2 year old Edwin Jagger's make me beam with pride, wanting to put them on display for friends and family. My wife won't let me however, so they stay in near the bathroom sink. Hopefully, that same pride will be felt with my new Parker Variant in several years. If not, I just might send it off for a custom two-tone paint job. If you're a microscopic inspector, you'll probably find slight imperfections when compared to others in the shave den. That being said, the shave more than makes up for anything unsightly.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely no buyers remorse here! This was a purchase I'm very satisfied with, and would buy again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 132
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 133

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Good review, thanks. I'm not convinced one will replace my Progress.

Brass? Probably the handle, I doubt the head is.

Very nice review!
I have a Parker Variant Adjustable as well, but with the black handle. The black does appear to be coming off a little, but shiny brass lies underneath and is starting to look very interesting. I used mine for over a month straight before paying attention to my other razors. It's definitely in my top 5 favorite razors!

for any who have both, how does the variant compare to a gillette slim?
I like the variant better than my slim, of course my opinion could be a bit biased since I've only used my Slim three times verses the variant over a month straight.

I am having the same black paint issue on my 26c. It is slightly wearing on the high points of the knurl causing a faint glimpse of the brass underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on my THIRD Parker Variant Adjustable. Third time's a charm.

My first was black variant from the very first batch of Variant razors. Mine had plating problems on the top-cap. When I went to change out my first blade after four shaves, I noticed a large spot under the top-cap where the plating had fallen off. Super Safety Razors (the distributor and website I purchased from) responded to my e-mail complaint in less than one-hour. Other than the top cap problem, the razor was well aligned and the shave was wonderful.

IMG_0801 (1).JPG

A replacement razor was sent as soon as Super Safety Razors received their second shipment from the factory. This razor had several alignment problems. The adjustment dial was at 5 when tightened all the way instead of at + or 1. The black sleeve was also very slightly out of alignment causing a slight gap at the base where it met the dial. The black paint flaked off the razor as others have reported. The flaking now runs the entire length of the side.

IMG_0944 (1).JPG

Super Safety razors responded to my second complaint in less than an hour and sent a replacement Satin Chrome razor. This razor appears flawless and after a few shaves is holding together well.

for any who have both, how does the variant compare to a gillette slim?
I had the Slim, Fat Boy and Super Adjustable (long and short handle) and the Slim was my favorite of those. It was compact, had good weight and shaved reliably. There is no real comparison between those Gillette adjustables and the Variant. While the Gillettes are easier to load because they are TTO and are smaller and more nimble razors, the Variant is hefty and well balanced allowing the razor to do the shaving and you only guide it. The handle is bigger and allows for a better grip and the adjustment is infinite. Yes, there are numbers on the dial, however unlike the Gillette where the numbers will click on a setting, the Variant allows you to have a setting of 2.5 or 4.2 or any variation between numbers. And again, as the OP mentioned, you can go for a full second round to get a setting of 10 (5X2), but practically, no one need to exceed the original 5. The Variant made me sell off my Gillette adjustables as I found that I needed only one after I got mine.

What I find so interesting is that despite so many dang issues with this razor, it seems like this thing shaves like heaven. I've had my own share of Variant issues and never even got to use it and now been waiting for a month for a replacement. :thumbdown

I had the Slim, Fat Boy and Super Adjustable (long and short handle) and the Slim was my favorite of those. It was compact, had good weight and shaved reliably. There is no real comparison between those Gillette adjustables and the Variant. While the Gillettes are easier to load because they are TTO and are smaller and more nimble razors, the Variant is hefty and well balanced allowing the razor to do the shaving and you only guide it. The handle is bigger and allows for a better grip and the adjustment is infinite. Yes, there are numbers on the dial, however unlike the Gillette where the numbers will click on a setting, the Variant allows you to have a setting of 2.5 or 4.2 or any variation between numbers. And again, as the OP mentioned, you can go for a full second round to get a setting of 10 (5X2), but practically, no one need to exceed the original 5. The Variant made me sell off my Gillette adjustables as I found that I needed only one after I got mine.

On what settings would the variant and the slim be comparable to the 34c?

Good review, thanks. I'm not convinced one will replace my Progress.

Brass? Probably the handle, I doubt the head is.
Both great razors to be honest. To me the Progress has more blade feel in it's range settings than the Variant. Example, a 3 on the Progress is like a 4 on the Variant. And I like blade feel, but the Variant somehow feels smoother, more forgiving. It does an excellent job of slicing the whiskers. Want to test it out, let me know. You can judge for yourself. I think you'd be surprised.
Regards, Gus

Quick technical question:
I shave with a Progress set at 1.75; compared to a Progress, is it worth to get the Variant with these kind of low settings?

Quick technical question:
I shave with a Progress set at 1.75; compared to a Progress, is it worth to get the Variant with these kind of low settings?
That's a mild setting for the Progress. When I shave with it, it's either 4 or 5 for me. But again, I like blade feel. Plus I straight shave 50% of the time. So for me its different. I guess you can set the Variant at maybe 2 or 2.5 and get a good shave. The difference I believe is it will will feel smoother and very efficient, at least for me. Another thing that the Variant has, is the knurling on the handle, easy to hold even when wet and good weight and balance. If the Progress had some type of knurling, it could arguably have been one of the best adjustables ever. Anyway, everyone's different, I would suggest to you on trying one and see what it does for you. If you can find one that is. They are both great razors, I just reach for the Variant more than the Progress....

Top Bottom