What's new

My New Stones

My new stones are arrived from Japanwoodworker.

DMT 325
Nonpariel Blue (Aoto) Water Stone (2k on tag but site description is manufactured from a combination of #1000 to #3000 grit abrasives in a binder of natural clays. Stamps are look same but i don't know if it is a Jimzo stone. According to some comments it's like 4k or 5k, more than 2k.)
Takenoko 8k

Thinking to seal with nail polish before use. All sides are flat. Can i use non writing side for protect stamps or should i use writing side for honing? Should i soak before use and how long? All other recommends are welcome too.

I have also DMT 1200, Naniwa 12k, Lapping Films and crox :)

proxy.php

Very nice, I would like one of those hybrid Aoto stones.
Dunno if you need to seal them but it can't hurt I guess.
Cant imagine that using either side matters either.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Seal the blue synthetic aoto, some brands of this type stone have had issues. I don't know if this brand does, but it couldn't hurt. I doubt the other needs sealing but again, it won't hurt.

You should be able to use either side, but make sure it's flat.

Cheers, Steve

Thank you Gamma and Steve. I'm new on natural stones. So i will play for a while and i will let you know. I tried without soaking. So far i like both. Aoto is soft and drinking water, slurry is drying quickly. Takenoko is good too.

Gamma by the way you have a great site and youtube channel for naturals. Close up and quality honing videos will help me.

Top Bottom