What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

Nice job overall! I would say that your lather looks a bit dry for my tastes in the first attempt but your second pass lather was much better, and you did need a bit more cream to start with.

Personally, I MUCH prefer to use shave soaps since I find the lather is much slicker and protective than any lather I got from creams. But then I use straights these days, so I need the lather to be as close to perfect as possible. I find it is easier to get the right consistency of lather with shave soaps also and I much preferred them even when I was using DE razors.

I saw you changing the angle too much, perhaps without realizing it. You were tilting it far greater than 30 degrees (even in your second pass) and losing the cutting edge. It's like you were rubbing the head of the razor on your skin rather than using the cutting edge! I would say keeping the angle correct so that you keep the cutting edge on your skin but use a very light touch. With practice this will get easier. Also, don't move your wrist, keep it locked and use your whole arm with long smooth strokes, not so much short choppy ones.

Overall, great job! Get a few more shaves under your belt and then post another video if you wish!

Oh, and don't worry about that "sip" sound. That was just you breathing through your nose! I barely noticed it.

Thanks for the pointers. I mentioned the bending of the wrist in the video. It's quite difficult to remain straight armed throughout the process. You really have to think about what you're doing.
I may take your advice on the soap because the cream did feel a bit thick and dense to be honest. Maybe that 'slickness' is what I need so that I can focus on blade angle better, rather than trying to fight through the cream.

Did you happen to catch the part where i mention the tugging and vibration while stroking through a rough area? Could this be because my hair was too long in that video, or is it, again, down to technique?

Overall, i have to say that i'm quite happy with the result and can see the potential. I currently have zero nicks and absolutely no irritation whatsoever, which it very VERY surprising.

Appreciate your input. I'm going to post the video in the newbie section too.

I would say the vibration could be occuring due to the angle not being correct. I would also advise you to try different blades. Get a blade sampler pack and try out different blades. Some gents have said they don't like Astras and I believe them. They may not be the right blade for you. Though they did work for me.

I would suggest you try Feathers, Personna Blues...I can't remember now the other ones I liked. But I would stay away from Derby, Dorco and Merkur blades personally.

Thx
The Astras are indeed from a sampler pack which consists of some of the more recommended blades such as the ones you mentioned as well as Personna reds, Gillette 7 o'clock (SS & SE), Iridium, and a bunch of others. 17 different kinds in total; and from the knowledge that i've gained from reading through these forums, Derby's, Dorco's and Merkurs were a deliberate omission.

As well as blade type, could the tugging (or lack of actually being able to smoothly slice the hair) be down to razor aggressiveness?
My choice for the Edwin Jagger derived from the many who suggest it to be a great 'beginners' safety razor, because it is a mild model. I still have my Merkur (I believe it's a classic, see photo) lying around, and while it was the one that i used which produced the results in the OP photos, I can confirm that the technique at that time was horrible to say the least.

$20151106_225930.jpg

...I guess i shouldn't really be looking for answers when the real answer will come once I've actually tried a variety of options.

It's ok to ask questions, no worries there. I wouldn't blame your DE89. I used to own one and while it wasn't the most aggressive razor it was sufficiently balanced to get the job done. I have a pretty slow growing tough beard too and yet sensitive skin.

My favorite razors were the Futur and Progress. I loved being able to adjust how aggresive or mild I wanted it to be. Honestly though, I would stick with the DE89. Get to know it better and use it for a while.

I really think the main issue for you is the shaving angle and keeping it consistent. That and focus on making a good quality lather each time.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Great video and you're a natural on camera. I was giggling at one thing though. You've pretty much shown that there is a limit to how far we should carry the "use more product" advice. My guess is that there was enough for lather bigfoot for a 3-pass shave. :lol:

BTW you have a PM

Everything Attila said is spot on. I also noticed the direction of your passes... East to west along your jawline for example.

I don't remember beard mapping being mentioned. Have you done that? I bring it up because I'm trying this whole no shave november thing and I'm realizing that in my trouble spots my hair grows almost diagonally and a South to North pass is actually not going with the grain.

Nice video by the way.

Everything Attila said is spot on. I also noticed the direction of your passes... East to west along your jawline for example.

I don't remember beard mapping being mentioned. Have you done that? I bring it up because I'm trying this whole no shave november thing and I'm realizing that in my trouble spots my hair grows almost diagonally and a South to North pass is actually not going with the grain.

Nice video by the way.

East to West in my left side and vice versa....yes.

I haven't done any beard mapping. However I've been shaving my face with an Andis outliner clipper for over 20 years, with which I would shave against the grain. (It was the only way I could get a close shave without a blade) so with a safety, I just go in the opposite direction. (With the grain) so I think I'm fine there.
Made another attempt today and got a better shave with two passes. The jawline and up alongside the mouth is very, very coarse though. Which is where I'm having difficulties.
The Astra SP blade just seems to stumbled over the hairs when I'm trying to go ATG.
Next shave I'm going to try the Personna blue blade and hope that helps out.

Thx for your input by the way. It's much appreciated.

The main point of success for me right now, is that I'm remarkably getting absolutely no ingrowns or irritation. Which is a MASSIVE relief. I'm loving this already and I look forward to the next shave every time.
The intangible feeling is rewarding too.

East to West in my left side and vice versa....yes.

I haven't done any beard mapping. However I've been shaving my face with an Andis outliner clipper for over 20 years, with which I would shave against the grain. (It was the only way I could get a close shave without a blade) so with a safety, I just go in the opposite direction. (With the grain) so I think I'm fine there.
Made another attempt today and got a better shave with two passes. The jawline and up alongside the mouth is very, very coarse though. Which is where I'm having difficulties.
The Astra SP blade just seems to stumbled over the hairs when I'm trying to go ATG.
Next shave I'm going to try the Personna blue blade and hope that helps out.

Thx for your input by the way. It's much appreciated.

The main point of success for me right now, is that I'm remarkably getting absolutely no ingrowns or irritation. Which is a MASSIVE relief. I'm loving this already and I look forward to the next shave every time.
The intangible feeling is rewarding too.
I hear you. Now I'm just working on my complexion (dark spots and discoloration from years of improper shaving). I have a feeling that you'll like blue personna's. If you have them in your sampler, gillette blacks and silver blues are other blades that might work for you too. As an unrelated note, what do you think about that proraso red?

......As an unrelated note, what do you think about that proraso red?........

Well, being that it's pretty much the first type of lathering product i've used, I can't do any comparisons. However, I can emphatically say that the scent is VERY strong. The Sandalwood scent is unfamiliar to me, so maybe that's why i'm not a big fan. However, regardless of the scent, the potency is quite high. Imagine the amount of perfume in the air of a morning rush hour train ride......that burning sensation in your nose. Yep, that's proraso red.

I assume you are talking about the soap? If so, just leave the lid off for a couple of days. After a few uses you will notice the scent becoming more subtle.

I actually like the scent myself, but it may take a few days when new to settle down. There are other makers that do a better job with the sandlewood scent perhaps, but Proraso is good value and performance for the money. Especially if you are using the soap.

I actually have it in my own shave den at the moment and I'm pretty picky about the soaps I use. It's not my top performer by any means but nor is it the worst soap I have ever used.

Last edited:
I have the cream. (as seen in the video) Based on the info you've just shared though, I may try the soap bowl.
The main reason for going with this as a first cream, was because it states that it's beard softening capabilities are more effective. While i can not establish if this is indeed the case, I wouldn't mind trying a soap for that slickness.

For today's main event, Personna blues shall take residence in my razor.

Last edited:
Horrible session today.
While there was nothing bad in terms of nicks and cuts, the actual quality of the shave was terrible. After a first pass and in the middle of the second one, I just rinsed off and decided not to press the issue.

For this session I tried running some lather on while in the shower with the intention of giving the cream more time to 'soften' The hair; for which I feel no signs of it doing so. I also chose to go without the pre shave cream and as a result, the head of the razor was just vibrating over as if I had no lather and just applied it to wet skin.

Time to watch some more lathering tutorials I think. And possibly try some pre shave oil rather than cream.

Oh 1 question. Does pre shave oil Jane an shelf life? I have a bottle of Anthony logistics that's been sitting here since the first post of this thread. 6 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your experience. But in the beginning there can definitely be some off days! As to the oil, I imagine it would go rancid after a while, but I have never used pre shave oil so I have no idea how the properties could be affected.

Looks like it has soybean oil in it, so I'd say ditch it, especially if it has been opened before.

If you want to try a preshave oil try shave secret. It's cheap if you have a Walmart nearby and smells awesome to me (clove, but it's subtle). You get a little menthol too. I rarely shave without it.

Noxzema face wash isn't bad either.

Last edited:
Urrrrgh!

The little buggers have resurfaced a bit. No where near as bad as before, but enough that i have to put the Safety sessions on hold for a good few days to possibly week.

Things were getting better as well. But one morning, I unfortunately had to resort to the Braun 7 series electric shaver due to time constraints......the day after, all out break out.

That said, this event was a blessing in disguise, because now I can put the electric razor down as the culprit. Before this session, i could never understand why I would break out a little after using it. It was a nice clean shave every time and there's a foil cover over the blades. Then it dawned on me. That slight tugging that i'd feel as the foil glided over my face? Yep, I thought it was a great thing before, but now i realize that, even with the foil cover, that slight tugging i felt was the act of the mechanism pulling my strands up before slicing them. Therefore leaving them below the surface of my skin. Compare that to the Nice DE shaves i was having that had no tug, because the blade simply slices the hairs AT the surface.

I'm coming along slowly, but surely. ;)

Can't wait for these little buggers to go away so i can get that Safety going again. :)

So yesterday, I had decided to have a shave even though I still had some minor bumps left.
I was going out to a function and wanted a shave that would be as clean as possible, without inducing further irritation.

While it may seem like the action greatly contradicts the ambition, I was truly surprised that it actually worked much better I my favor than I thought.

My main focus was a nice rich lather, to protect the skin, which took a few attempts but I finally got there. (My forearms were on FIRE)

I used the Gillette 7 O o'clock's this time which seemed better than both the personna medical blues and the Astra SP's.

The overall end result looked great considering I'm still a rookie, but I did have to do a good 4 passes or so on the more difficult to reach areas, where the hairs lie flush with the skin. So much so that it wasn't until I bit the bullet and attempted a couple XTG passes; which got the job done. I'm finding that when I go WTG in those areas the blade doesn't catch the hairs at all.

Anyway, it's a day or so later now and even though I was worried that shaving over irritated skin would end up aggravating the problem, my skin has actually cleared up even more and I have very little itch.

Again.....I can't wait for the next shave. Update video coming soon. :)

Top Bottom