What's new

My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

Late to the party here, but congratulations Pottertons. Such an incredible improvement from start to finish all on account of your perseverance.

My college roommate, also black, was in a similar situation as you with the ingrowns. He found that nightly brushing small circles in his beard area with a soft toothbrush really helped to keep the hairs from growing 'in'.

Again congratulations.:thumbup1:

Oh my God that looks paint! I have the same problem but nowhere near that bad.
For now just get good at WTG, then add some XTG. I still can't go ATG but I'm still trying different angles and blades so hopefully I can get my BBS ATG someday.

I strongly recommend using Kyle's Prep AS WRITTEN for a couple weeks, and before your shower, with no variations.

Use the first part of your lather, apply the hot towel for no more than ~3 minutes (I find I have to re-soak the towel in hot water and re-apply 3-4 times to get the ~3 minutes).

With all that you are doing I think your skin is swelling up from the heat and becoming too irritated and sensitized to what's about to happen to it. :eek: (I figured out that I was doing too many hot towel applications and cut back, which made a significant difference.)

You also might just try lathering and then rinsing your face to see if your skin is particularly sensitive to using a brush; it also may be too irritating.

So are you saying that taking a hot shower and doing Kyle's prep after the shower can be bad? I thought it was recommended.

Wow; I just came across this thread and am very happy I read all of it. I too have suffered with ingrowns and acne due to thick, curly facial hair, and went to the derm, was on antiibiotics, and now am still using my DE but with Aveeno shaving gel, witch hazel, and jojoba oil with tea tree oil as an AS. Recently, I saw all of the chemicals in Aveeno and decided to try traditional shaving cream with my brush, and post-shaving products again. I am very nervous to say the least, but I would rather have some blemishes than all of those chemicals. I use Thayer's Witch Hazel and love it, but after watching a Mantic video again, I decided I wanted to add an AS balm with a spray of a splash to get the soothing and disinfecting benefits of both. A T&H master barber applied this combo on Mantic, and in the video it appears that he loved it. My products are on order and should get here by mid to late week, but as nervous as I am, I have more confidence after reading this thread in its entirety. The main lessons I learned was KISS--heat up the face (shower or hot towel), pre-shave oil (jojoba more me), WTG only and no pressure on the razor, and cool the skin down with cold water, use witch hazel, and then an AS balm/splash. Thank you Pottertons for all of the information and steps along the way, and I am very happy that you are having such success at with a clear face!!! I know what a difference it makes in terms of self-image. Congrats!

I would just like to give a big thanks to those who have been pm'ing me with concern about my progress.

Unfortunately, i ended up going back to my Andis clipper/Braun 7series shaves. But i will be trying again within the near future and this time technique will be the main focus; because i can't for the life of me, accept the fact that wetshaving can not be an option. It looks and feels so much better than electric shaving, so i can't just give up like I did for the past 5 years or so.

I still have all my tools and am searching around the net to see if any new breakthroughs (so to speak) have surfaced. I'm currently having a look at the 'Bevel' shaving system.

Again, the response for this thread has truly been overwhelming, and it's because of this response that my motivation has been re-energized.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
For my extremely sensitive skin, straights have been a real solution. I never get irritation these days.

Even DE shaves were not quite as good at getting rid of all irritation though still an improvement over other forms of shaving.

OK. So, here's what confuses me....

While I know that YMMV, I'm trying to figure out what the best combination of blade and razor would be for me.

I've read that the Edwin Jagger DE89/L seems to be the most recommended mild safety razor for those who are just starting out.(Had no idea what the difference was between mild and aggressive until i did some extensive reading and video viewing)

So being that a mild razor will not handle very coarse hair that well (if i'm understanding correctly), would it be a wise choice to select a more sharper blade such as a Derby or Red Personna? Not going to bother with the Feathers for a long time.

My concern is that a mild razor with a mild blade will require more passes and possibly, the application of more pressure, which in turn welcomes the potential for irritation.

- Am i getting ahead of myself?
- Should a 1 pass, unclean shave with focus on technique be my priority?
- If Mild/Mild (Razor/Blade) does not catch the hairs that fall flat to my skin, then how can i determine the quality of my technique?

Derby blades are not known for being super sharp. More the other end of the spectrum actually.

The ones that worked best for me in my DE days was Astra, Feathers and Personna Blues. I have a slow growing beard with thick hair shafts but not a lot of thick growth. I had to use sharper blades for my own comfort.

So, as an update to my second attempt at things I'd like to share my approach. Feel free to provide any info, constructive criticism, cheer me on etc etc. :)

So, after doing quite a bit of nosing around the web and especially through these very forums, I feel like the use of a soft bristle brush during face washes, on a regular basis will help me out drastically. Not allowing them hairs to curl back in is paramount towards achieving my goal. So I went out a bought one of those small finger nail brushes from a local dollar store. I'm also using a dental pick that i have so that the ingrowns can be easily pried out. The particular one I have is inexpensive, and it's more of a dull point that a sharp needle type one. Which is great because it still has enough of a pointy tip to get at those hard to grab strands without pricking myself......
$20151025_204810.jpg

As for my face; i'm currently in the growth stage and the minor (I say minor, because it's MUCH MUCH less that the amount in the original photos) amount of bumps that i have are fading away.......

$20151023_145809.jpg $2015-10-23 15.02.25.jpg

Almost all grey now. LOL

So, that's where i stand at the moment. Although it's only been a day or so since i started the 'wash and brush' routine, I already notice the difference with the way the hairs are kept away from the skin.

I'll be back in a few days with some more pics which will most likely include the 'trim down' shave. This way things can be better observed.

Ok, so here i go with another attempt.

this time i've done a video for you guys to see, so that you can Critique my Technique. I'm in the midst of uploading it now, so i'll get that up a soon as a can. It cuts off due to low battery near the end of my shave, but you pretty much get all that you need within the time frame that i'll be sharing.

What i'm looking for is pointers on things such as...

- lathering technique, quantity, density etc
- Blade angle
- Stroking technique
- Prep
- Why the blade doesn't cut through the hair smoothly. I found that there was quite a bit of tugging even though i used no pressure. (don't want to make the same mistake again as i did years ago) If you look closely, you can actually see the vibration on my cheek.
- and of course, and additional info you guys would like to add.

Thanks.

My procedure...

1. Shower and used facewash (dove for men)

2. Whilst in the shower I had my Brush soaking in a bowl of hot water. (Semogue 1800 Boar Bristle)

3. After shower, applied Proraso Sandalwood Pre/Post shave cream

4. Face lathered with Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream...(in true, horrible rookie fashion, an absolute mess. LMAO)

5. Shaved with an Edwin Jagger DE 89KN14BL with an Astra Superior Platinum Blade.

6. 2nd pass, this time with bowl lathering. (Which I seem to be able to work with much better)

7. Rinsed w/cold water and applied some Proarso Sandalwood Pre/Post shave. (Which has an acquired scent and it's fairly strong. But hey, i'm just starting)

Video coming soon.....

p.s. Can i upload videos here, or only a link to youtube?

So here's the video I wish to (reluctantly lol) share...

I didn't get to show the result of the post shave, but the hair removal is significant. Even though it's only been roughly 6 hours since the shave was done, i'm experiencing absolutely no sign of irritation from aggressive handling methods. 6 years ago at this point post shave, when i made the initial attempt that instigated this thread; I was pretty much ready to just peel my face off already.

NOTE: It's my first time ever doing anything like this, and it's a 1 take job. so I may sound a bit all over the place. If anything isn't clear, feel free to ask. :)

Enjoy, and try not to laugh too hard at my face lathering. lol.

p.s. The stupid 'sip' sounds that i make throughout, are not pain induced. I have absolutely no idea what was going on. hahahhaaa

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom