What's new

My Guess... 3017

I'm only one shave in, but if the rest are like today's, I'll be a happy man.

And if it does stack up, you'll have a nice citrus scented soap to go with the other Haslinger flavours( which does not include a citrus IIRC).:001_smile Hope the rest of the shaves are as good as today's was.

I just recall not being thrilled with the latherability of PdP. I was always getting dry/thin/disappearing lather. I'll have to revisit though.

I'm not one to dissect ingredients, but the lather quality seems to be in a different league with Haslinger and PDP over almost all the soft Italian soaps I've used. Is it the steric acid that makes soft soaps lather so easily but always has them a bit airy and frothy when they are first lathered up? PDP and Haslinger don't seem to get that way and it stays creamy and bubble free, not producing the same volume but better quality.
I believe that to be the coconut oil.

Interesting thoughts about Italian soft soaps. I just 3017 Cella and Valobra back to back. Both good soaps, but the lather isn't as dense (if that's the right word) as say a Haslinger or Mikes. For a while I thought it may be related to lanolin, but not all Haslinger soaps have lanolin. Ive tried loading soft soaps with a soaking wet brush some call the marco method. Ive tried a lightly damp brush, and everywhere in between. They always lather easily, always provides tons of good looking lather, give good shaves, but just don't have the same post shave feel or protection of say a Haslinger or Mikes. I noticed with both Cella and Valobra I get a weeper almost every shave. Something that never happens with Haslinger.

I like soft soaps and like being able to mold them into any container. But I haven't run across one yet that I would call a top tier performer. Bruce has me curious about PdP, but, I have some C&S Oxford and Cambridge on deck that I have high hopes for. I am hoping to tuck into some PdP later this Summer. Did I mention I hoarded another 10 pucks of Haslinger pucks while they are on sale from TVB shaving? Cannot beat the price...even with international shaving. Thanks for the tip Bruce!:thumbup1:

@snowman So it isn't just me. I seem to get way more weepers with soft soaps and pretty much never with Haslinger.

The lather from a good hard soap just seems superior then a from a soft soap...even I'd both are great products. The Hard Soap lather is just a step up in class.

Nope, not just you Bruce. I didn't really notice the weepers that much because it was generally just one and I thought it was a matter of me adjusting my technique slightly to the different soap. But when I think back over the past couple months of using soft soaps almost every day, I realized I had at least one mild weeper every day. Certainly nothing I can't live with, but yes, I agree with you 100%. The lather quality I get from hard soaps is different and better (a very general statement I know). I say it is a denser lather but I'm not sure if dense is the word I'm looking for? Heavier..a bit more protective I suppose. One benefit for me that soft soaps have generally had over hard pucks is the ease of lathering...except for Haslinger. Haslinger seems to lather as quickly, and has as wide of a sweet spot for H2O as most soft soaps. At least with my soft water that's the case.

Regardless, I am finishing Valobra soft and moving to Valobra hard with this puck of C&S. I should know rather quickly if its just my imagination or not.

PdP test lather, nothing squeezed out of the knot. That is some damn good lather. Slick and protective. Originally when I first got this in 2012, I think I didn't load enough and I over compensated by loading too much. This led to lather that disappeared and lather that was too dry. the stuff right here is awesome though.
$uploadfromtaptalk1427419651576.jpg

Well, I must disagree with you guys about Italian soft soaps. I have never had a problem with nicks or cuts with any soft soap. My favorits are RR P160 and RR XXX. Both these soaps give me the best shaves I have recived since starting trad wet shaving almost 3 years ago. So far I haven't used many hard soaps, right now I'm using MdC, and up next is C&S Oxford and Cambridge. I will let you know if my opinion changes.

Well, I must disagree with you guys about Italian soft soaps. I have never had a problem with nicks or cuts with any soft soap. My favorits are RR P160 and RR XXX. Both these soaps give me the best shaves I have recived since starting trad wet shaving almost 3 years ago. So far I haven't used many hard soaps, right now I'm using MdC, and up next is C&S Oxford and Cambridge. I will let you know if my opinion changes.

Yeah, I knew you were a big fan. RR160, Vito's and a few others were great for me. I don't recall how the initial later was, but the shaves were good. Maybe I need to up my usage/load times to "Spaceboy Territory" :w00t:

D2 with PdP was another good one and here a couple poor action shots from today's shave:
30 Load:
$IMG_20150327_064301.jpg

After Pass 1:
$IMG_20150327_064456.jpg

After Pass 2:
$IMG_20150327_064853.jpg

Last edited:
10 days in on my puck of AOS unscented (new formula). Using it as a shave stick with some aluminum foil wrapped around about half of it right now. This stuff is working great! Makes a beautiful slick and creamy lather even in hard water.

I put it even with Wilkinson Sword stick for best soap I've tried so far, although the list of what I've tried is not as comprehensive as many of you. Sure it's expensive but at least it's also good.

Playing around before I start my next 3017 I used Arko this morning and La Toja yesterday.

Both were extremely effective and at least one order of magnitude more protective than MdC (whatever that means).

With the votes here and my own curiosity about MW, that will be my next 3017 and I'll start it Sunday morning.

AoS Lemon was the other front-runner for me personally but I want to get to other products during the hot summer months and I was concerned that one might last me 5-6 months. I'm thinking MW will take about 2.

A week with the Stirling Barbershop and I think I am getting the hang of ideal lathers. I was starting with a dry brush but it didn't seem to load properly that way. I just tried with a very wet brush and it seemed better. It began with huge bubbles but worked into a nice slick lather (which I always get) but this time had the added cushion for a nicer shave. Will try the wet brush method again tomorrow. I'm not in love with the scent or the performance yet. Seems a little inconsistent right now. After this I am going to go to an almost empty tube of Proraso Blue to get back to a great performing cream I love to compare to the rest.

SoapScentStartEndMass (g)
Number of ShavesUsage (g/shave)Rating (5 Star total)
StirlingBarbershop03/22/201504/xx/201528
Truefitt and HillTrafalgar - Cream03/19/201503/21/2015933***
Truefitt and Hill1805 - Cream03/16/201503/18/2015933**
Los Angeles Shaving Soap CompanyWoody Lavender - Soap03/13/201503/15/2015531.67**

- Ratings
* Unusable performance. Poor shave. Struggle to finish shave. Will not restock.
** Average performance. Will not restock.
*** Good performance. Will possibly restock.
**** Great performance. Will restock.
***** Amazing performance. Top product and a favorite. Will definitely restock.

- Brush
All shaves done with a synthetic brush. Generally the brush is an Edwin Jagger STF Size XL or Plisson Synthetic.

Over a week on the 1/3 puck of PdP, and I can still happily say that this is tied with the Speick Stick for my favorite. I took a one shave break a couple shaves ago for a sample of Geo F Trumper Sandlewood Cream, which I had completely forgotten I had 'til I came across it looking for something else. PdP was much better [emoji1]

Over a week on the 1/3 puck of PdP, and I can still happily say that this is tied with the Speick Stick for my favorite. I took a one shave break a couple shaves ago for a sample of Geo F Trumper Sandlewood Cream, which I had completely forgotten I had 'til I came across it looking for something else. PdP was much better [emoji1]
I'll be running side by side with you. I started my 50g of PdP two days ago. We'll see if I stop at 50g or do the entire puck like I did last time.

It's pretty good, isn't it? :w00t:

I'll be running side by side with you. I started my 50g of PdP two days ago. We'll see if I stop at 50g or do the entire puck like I did last time.

It's pretty good, isn't it? :w00t:

Glad to hear that I'll be in good company [emoji106] I'll be taking tomorrow off from the PdP, as I'm at the beach house for the weekend and wanted to take the chance to try a travel setup. This will give you some time to catch up [emoji1]

Oh and "pretty good" is a bit of an understatement I'd say [emoji6]

Top Bottom