What's new

My Guess... 3017

brucered

System Generated
MdC Fougere is going well. I load about 1/2 the time I do my other soaps/croaps and get just as much lather.

It's thick, creamy and doesn't break down, but I have yet to apply any heat. My shaves are just as good as any of my other quality 3017'd soaps.

I hear some say "I get a closer shave with this soap or that soap" and saw that in an MdC thread recently but I don't buy it. For the most part, at least with me, if I get a quality lather the shaves are always the same closeness. Some may be more enjoyable as they are less work to make the lather or they may be slicker, but the end result in terms of closeness of shave is usually the same.

So in short, my MdC shaves have been great and I can see my 100g, lasting approximately 45 days or so (total guess at this point)

MdC Fougere is going well. I load about 1/2 the time I do my other soaps/croaps and get just as much lather.

It's thick, creamy and doesn't break down, but I have yet to apply any heat. My shaves are just as good as any of my other quality 3017'd soaps.

I hear some say "I get a closer shave with this soap or that soap" and saw that in an MdC thread recently but I don't buy it. For the most part, at least with me, if I get a quality lather the shaves are always the same closeness. Some may be more enjoyable as they are less work to make the lather or they may be slicker, but the end result in terms of closeness of shave is usually the same.

So in short, my MdC shaves have been great and I can see my 100g, lasting approximately 45 days or so (total guess at this point)

I would think it would last longer than that...but this is Bruce, the King of loading it like he hates it

brucered

System Generated
I would think it would last longer than that...but this is Bruce, the King of loading it like he hates it
From what I remember, a couple other guys 3017'd it recently and they were in around 2g a shave as well.

Time will tell and I know the usuage goes up as the soap goes on. MdC gets softer and paste like consistancy at the bottom of a used container....from the water build up.

I would guess that the Maca Root will end up between 2.5 to 3 grams per shave. If that's the case, it will likely end up around 20 to 25 cents per shave, which isn't bad.

My ~50% review, it's a good cream. It's not terribly slick but it seems to have good ingredients and not dry out the skin too much. It's easy to lather and somewhat forgiving of hydration levels. Like a lot of creams, it's easy to mix it too dry so it's sticky. The scent holds it back, as it's kind of a dull, earthy, maybe herbaceous scent. I'd prefer either something a tad floral or a cologne scent. That's kind of a nice part of the ritual for me, kind of like smelling fresh coffee grounds before brewing.

Would I buy it again? Right now, I'd lean towards no, although if I did it would be in a tube form. A super soft cream in a jar is hard to measure out enough for a shave, so I've been plowing through it quickly. I don't mind using up product, but at $14 for a jar I'd rather not accidentally make enough for two shaves. Tubes are easier to measure usage for me. It looks like the tube runs about $10 for 4 oz vs the jar at $14 for 6 oz, so I think you'd actually come out ahead by not using too much product.

brucered

System Generated
3017 veterans, do you weigh out your doses, or only determine usage once it's gone?
I weigh soap before I start. The odd time I take weights during use after a week or two and guesstimate how much I am using so, I can see how long it's going to last.

Some don't weight at all. They just take the mfg weight of the soap and use it until it's gone. No right or wrong way, it's all for fun.

I do not weight out individual uses.

Last edited:
Same here. For the most part, I just use the mfg listed weight and work out how much soap I had been using once the soap is finished.

I do sometimes start weighing the soap once I am a few weeks in to see how much is left. It's nice to know when I am more or less at the halfway mark and when I only have 20g left etc. But, weighing at this stage is really just for the sake of curiosity.

Proraso Red cream bit the dust today. What an awesome product. I have a tub of the soap that I'll get to eventually, but this will definitely be replaced at some point. Now it's on to Haslinger Sandelholz.

24 May 2013 - 22 June 2013: DR Harris Arlington
23 June 2013 - 18 July 2013: DR Harris Arlington/CO Bigelow
19 July 2013 - 22 July 2013: SCS Bay Rum sample
23 July 2013 – 26 July 2013: Barrister and Mann Seville sample
27 July 2013 – 3 September 2013: RR KotC Lime
4 September 2013 – 27 September 2013: Stirling Anise
28 September 2013 – 30 September 2013: Stirling Lavender Sage sample
1 October 2013 – 15 October 2013: RazoRock Chianti Lavender
16 October 2013 – 7 November 2013: RazoRock XXX
8 November 2013 – 9 December 2013: 2 grated La Toja sticks
10 December 2013 – 28 December 2013: Stirling Scot's Pine
29 December 2013 – 7 January 2014: DR Harris Windsor (paused)
8 January 2014 – 31 January 2014: Proraso Red/Synergy Cavendish(paused)
1 February 2014 – 3 April 2014: DR Harris Windsor (resumed)
4 April 2014 – 14 April 2014: RR Boston Tea Party
15 April 2014 – 17 April 2014: SCS Fairway
18 April 2014 – 21 May 2014: Speick
22 May 2014 – 24 May 2014: B&M Solstice sample
25 May 2014 – 30 May 2014: Strop Shoppe Rosemary Mint
31 May 2014 – 12 June 2014: Mike's OCBP
13 June 2014 – 22 June 2014: CF Lime
23 June 2014 – 9 July 2014: PannaCrema Namaste
10 July 2014 – 23 July 2014: PannaCrema Fumo di Londra (paused)
24 July 2014 – 20 September 2014: Palmolive and HTGAM Barberpole
21 September 2014 – 27 September 2014: Mike's Barbershop
28 September 2014 – 6 October 2014: PannaCrema Fumo di Londra(resumed)
7 October 2014 – 5 November 2014: Razorock Mudder Focker
6 November 2014 – 3 December 2014: Proraso Red (resumed)
4 December 2014 - ??: Haslinger Sandelholz

Any of you guys have special 3017 strategies in mind for 2015? - maybe just 1 brand like brian and SCS or just one type (artisan, soft, triple-milled, creams etc.)?

I've had to take stock (literally) of my horde. I've had several huge sell offs and will likely have more and/or do some PIFs to get the stash down to a level I can actually use before everything loses its scent or turns.

I'm going to alternate creams and soft soaps for my full size products. I figure those need to be used before the hard soaps. In between each full size product I'm going to work through a minimum of 5 samples (or 1 stirling sample). I've amassed enough samples I could go a year on just those. Its time I get as serious about 3017ing the samples as I am full size products.

Any of you guys got a specific plan/project for the new year?

brucered

System Generated
Any of you guys got a specific plan/project for the new year?

I've thought about various things, but they always fizzle out and I just grab whatever I want next.

I was going to do the hard soap, cream, soft soap rotation...then I was going to do a month of croap and change out every 1st of the month...then I was going to do all RR...then I was going to do all MdC....

I was hoping to completely deplete my current stock before the end of 2015. Though, it's almost definitely not going to happen.

Come January 1st, I'll still have over 1kg of product to work through. So, I'd need to be using almost 3g of product throughout the year. Since all I have left is soaps, and they include QCS and DRH, I doubt my average usage will get much above 2g per shave. I have a lot of good soaps lined up, so it'll be enjoyable nonetheless.

I ballpark my weights based off usage and manufacturer specs, but I'm thinking of picking up a postal meter.

For 2015, I don't have a plan in mind as I have a lot of product in my drawer (mostly creams). I'm thinking of trying to accomplish a gentlemanly restraint for the year, but we shall see.

The other imposition I've thought of is to limit myself to only my Muhle synthetic fiber brushes to see if I want to go with those exclusively. Doesn't sound sexy, but if I chase down the "dream brush" road any longer, I'm going to be out $500 buying and selling again within a few months.

And at some point, "options" and "variety" snowball into overwhelming my brain with possibilities, which I will think about 24/7 (and literally wake up thinking about), and that is something I need to get away from in all my hobbies. I need to become more of a minimalist and enjoy what I have.

To tie it back to the 3017 philosophy, I've thought of limiting my variables to improve my experience.

I am almost three weeks into RR classic. My hope is that is that I will be able to end either the RR or some other samples/creams to start the MdC tub on Feb 1 (I think several others are starting then too?). Once I finish that someone on this thread suggested that I us up my Dr H. Arlington.

The Proraso green was finished while I was in Edinburgh so I was glad I packed the classic "just in case" I enjoyed the Proraso but by the 71st shave the scent was fading and I was ready to try something different.

Ruckin.

2014.05.31 - 2014.07.09 (40) Edwin Jagger Sandlewood Shaving Cream (100ml)
2014.07.10 - 2014.09.03 (56) RazoRock XXX (125ml)
2014.09.04 - 2014.11.13 (71) Proraso Shaving Cream Soap Menthol and Eucalyptus (150g)
2014.11.14 - xxxx.xx.xx RazoRock Classic (150ml)

I ballpark my weights based off usage and manufacturer specs, but I'm thinking of picking up a postal meter.

For 2015, I don't have a plan in mind as I have a lot of product in my drawer (mostly creams). I'm thinking of trying to accomplish a gentlemanly restraint for the year, but we shall see.

The other imposition I've thought of is to limit myself to only my Muhle synthetic fiber brushes to see if I want to go with those exclusively. Doesn't sound sexy, but if I chase down the "dream brush" road any longer, I'm going to be out $500 buying and selling again within a few months.

And at some point, "options" and "variety" snowball into overwhelming my brain with possibilities, which I will think about 24/7 (and literally wake up thinking about), and that is something I need to get away from in all my hobbies. I need to become more of a minimalist and enjoy what I have.

To tie it back to the 3017 philosophy, I've thought of limiting my variables to improve my experience.

There is an Online Purchase restraint started. Brick and Mortar sales are allowed.

I am using up all my samples right now, got close to a dozen to go through, then I am going to resume alternating between soaps and creams.

I've thought about various things, but they always fizzle out and I just grab whatever I want next.

I was going to do the hard soap, cream, soft soap rotation...then I was going to do a month of croap and change out every 1st of the month...then I was going to do all RR...then I was going to do all MdC....

I've been considering a French year for 2015, but that would require me to buy more soap, and I just can't bring myself to do it.

A few days into the Haslinger Schafmilch. So nice to use a good soap with lanolin after a month of TOBS cream during this cold start to winter. I had forgotten how easy it is to make that picture perfect yogurt like cream with this soap. Dense, protective. I have been using the Marco Method with a boar knot (B&B essential) the last couple days and I have a very nice dense cream in about 45 seconds. Its been a pleasure to use this first week. I dropped a puck in a 50 year old Old Spice mug and face lather. This would be a great setup for someone starting out. A $15 boar, cheap mug, and at $9 per puck someone starting out can build world-class lathers. A great confidence builder.

brucered

System Generated
@snowman every time I hear people talking about Haslinger, I remember using mine and think about selling almost all my stash and going all Haslinger.

Then I remember MdC and PdP
...and the decision gets more difficult.

Top Bottom