What's new

My Guess... 3017

I finished my first 3017 soap today, a puck of tallow first English Fern. It lasted 7 months exactly, however I don't shave every day. Next up is a puck of AOS sandalwood soap. It's got some usage on it, but now it's time for it to go down.

Ben
Is the AOS the older tallow type? I'm waiting for a 3017er to hit a new formulation AOS puck and really test it.

shave #1 with my Stirling samples. I have two of them pressed into a plastic tub that's a suitable size for lathering.

It'll be good for me to 3017 this particular soap, as the general membership either loves it or hates it. I'm still learning it, and although my lather isn't super dense and creamy, it doesn't dissipate and provides ample glide.

I used a not-entirely-shave ready straight, with surprisingly little irritation last night.

I'm interested to find out how log these samples will last loading them like I hate them.

I'm at the point where after repeated daily use, my puck of Barrister and Mann soap has turned into a cake of concentrated magic. It was always a good soap, but now I can load less and the results keep getting fuller, more cushiony, and slicker.

I had an Arlington stick lying around that I just couldn't make work. Grated it into a bowl and holy smokes I love this stuff!

Started today

I know it's not really one cream but today I'm starting my 12 piece cream sampler from Maggard Razors.

I'm going to use all 12 in a row. First up is EJ limes & pomegranate :)

I feel the pull of the dark underworld of product polygamy. I am supposed to be using up my Proraso Red but reached for my Cella this morning. My resolve to use one product at a time is wavering.

Tomorrow I am going to start 3017ing a Wilkinson Sword blue bowl. I've had about seven or eight shaves on it already. Wish me luck!!

I am having some really nice shaves with Stirling Anise. I started this soap just before Christmas and have used around 30 grams so far, call it about 1.75 grams per day.

At first, I had some trouble dialling in the lather. I got some shaves that were a bit dry and lacked slickness and some mushy shaves that lacked protection as well as lather stability. If feel like I have it down pretty well now. I load a lot of soap by gently using a wet brush and let the excess spill into a bowl (by lathering at a 44* angle over a bowl). Once I have a lot of lather accumulated in the bowl and the brush becomes dry on the puck, I jump to the bowl to whip up lather with a rather thick consistency.

The soap is better than expected, it will be tough competition for the other soaps vying to make it onto my short list.

shave #1 with my Stirling samples. I have two of them pressed into a plastic tub that's a suitable size for lathering.

It'll be good for me to 3017 this particular soap, as the general membership either loves it or hates it. I'm still learning it, and although my lather isn't super dense and creamy, it doesn't dissipate and provides ample glide.

I used a not-entirely-shave ready straight, with surprisingly little irritation last night.

I'm interested to find out how log these samples will last loading them like I hate them.

I've given them a go in hard water and soft now and found a way to get good lather either way. Maybe some of the split reviews are from previous formulations of this soap, I know I have formulation 4 or something like that (whatever the most recent is).

CS Peppermint did not do as well with a badgering this morning. Got the light, airy lather I had been dreading. Back to boar for the remainder of the puck.

I am having some really nice shaves with Stirling Anise. I started this soap just before Christmas and have used around 30 grams so far, call it about 1.75 grams per day.

At first, I had some trouble dialling in the lather. I got some shaves that were a bit dry and lacked slickness and some mushy shaves that lacked protection as well as lather stability. If feel like I have it down pretty well now. I load a lot of soap by gently using a wet brush and let the excess spill into a bowl (by lathering at a 44* angle over a bowl). Once I have a lot of lather accumulated in the bowl and the brush becomes dry on the puck, I jump to the bowl to whip up lather with a rather thick consistency.

The soap is better than expected, it will be tough competition for the other soaps vying to make it onto my short list.

I've given them a go in hard water and soft now and found a way to get good lather either way. Maybe some of the split reviews are from previous formulations of this soap, I know I have formulation 4 or something like that (whatever the most recent is).

This is one of the reasons I want to support the company. They really listen to their customers and really want to make the best product they can.

You mentioned a 44 degree angle, I found 46 degrees to work best for me. Now can we PLEASE start seeing research, charts, and tables on the correct angle to allow lather to spill over into a bowl!? :lol:

Tomorrow I am going to start 3017ing a Wilkinson Sword blue bowl. I've had about seven or eight shaves on it already. Wish me luck!!

Good luck The blue WS bowl is perhaps not the easiest soap to lather. Please let us know how things go.

So one shave into my tub of TOBS Sandlewood yesterday but I have to stop. The Sandlewood is to sweet a fragrance for me. I am just not a fan. So it is going into my trade pile along with Proraso red. I will be starting a new tube of Musgo Real Lavender instead.

So I tried to 3017 something before and it just didn't work out. I think I picked the wrong soap for my first because of the hit or miss performance (which didn't get any more consistent even after 2 1/2 weeks), the size of the puck (4.5 oz with most of a 1oz sample of the same soap mashed on top), and it seems to burn my skin slightly after a few days in a row. So my strop shoppe 3017 ended after only 17 shaves with barely a dent in the top of the sample that is on top of the actual puck. This is still something that I want to do, though, and I've been mulling over which soap to try it with. I've thought maybe my Palmolive stick-in-a-bowl, but the scent doesn't do much for me. Then I thought maybe my speick stick-in-a-bowl, but it's at least half gone, so not as much sense of accomplishment. MdC--way too big and some slight irritation if I go too many days in a row. Tabac- I just don't want to use it up and run out again (yes, I know, order a back up puck). Well, last week I was ordering some stuff from amazon to work our new xbox into our home theater system and I added on a stick of arko. I'd always wondered how I'd react to its controversial scent. I unpacked the box and cracked open the arko wrapper and took a whiff--strong yes, but I like it that way! I've now used it, after mashing it into a bowl, for the last four days and it is great stuff. It's not too big so I think I'll get through it in a reasonable amount of time, so I will give this another go with the arko. Started 1/8/14. Of course, if I win brucered's dr harris PIF (I don't think its over yet, is it?), then I'll have to change plans--save the arko for later...otherwise it's a winter of arko (or however long the stick-in-a-bowl lasts). Wish me luck and perseverance, etc. :badger:

So I tried to 3017 something before and it just didn't work out. I think I picked the wrong soap for my first because of the hit or miss performance (which didn't get any more consistent even after 2 1/2 weeks), the size of the puck (4.5 oz with most of a 1oz sample of the same soap mashed on top), and it seems to burn my skin slightly after a few days in a row. So my strop shoppe 3017 ended after only 17 shaves with barely a dent in the top of the sample that is on top of the actual puck. This is still something that I want to do, though, and I've been mulling over which soap to try it with. I've thought maybe my Palmolive stick-in-a-bowl, but the scent doesn't do much for me. Then I thought maybe my speick stick-in-a-bowl, but it's at least half gone, so not as much sense of accomplishment. MdC--way too big and some slight irritation if I go too many days in a row. Tabac- I just don't want to use it up and run out again (yes, I know, order a back up puck). Well, last week I was ordering some stuff from amazon to work our new xbox into our home theater system and I added on a stick of arko. I'd always wondered how I'd react to its controversial scent. I unpacked the box and cracked open the arko wrapper and took a whiff--strong yes, but I like it that way! I've now used it, after mashing it into a bowl, for the last four days and it is great stuff. It's not too big so I think I'll get through it in a reasonable amount of time, so I will give this another go with the arko. Started 1/8/14. Of course, if I win brucered's dr harris PIF (I don't think its over yet, is it?), then I'll have to change plans--save the arko for later...otherwise it's a winter of arko (or however long the stick-in-a-bowl lasts). Wish me luck and perseverance, etc. :badger:

Your post has me wandering what I would do if I started experiencing irritation from a soap I was 3017ing. My gut reaction would be to just get rid of it, but my frugal side would say to keep it and use it in shorter rotations to use it up. Maybe this is the wrong place to be talking about frugality. OK out it will go.

10 Days into my PannaCrema Labdano and 10 great shaves.

This is a very nice cream/soap/croap and produces a very nice lather and shave.

Your post has me wandering what I would do if I started experiencing irritation from a soap I was 3017ing. My gut reaction would be to just get rid of it, but my frugal side would say to keep it and use it in shorter rotations to use it up. Maybe this is the wrong place to be talking about frugality. OK out it will go.
The irritation was mild, and only part of the reason I stopped. I will definitely use it again, but as you said, in shorter (1-3 day) spurts.

Top Bottom