What's new

My Guess... 3017

I share that opinion about the Lavender. After trying all of them for a number of months, I decided to keep only the Windsor and Marlborough. Marlborough is my favorite, but I think the Windsor will do just fine too.

DHR Marlborough gave up the ghost today. :thumbup1: It will be missed.

I normally shave everyday, but I missed two shaves this month due to being wicked hungover one day, and then wicked late to work another. I had pressed the last remains of the Marlborough into my grated Speick stick to get the last shave out of it. I'm looking forward to the Speick, I wasn't a huge fan of it at first, but the scent has really grown on me the last month or so. After PIFing some of my soap that I'd never use, I have the following left in no real order:

Speick stick grated into an Old Spice mug
AoS lavender puck
NOS old spice puck
Puck of Tabac
Tabac shave stick (I will either grate this down, or PIF it to someone who's never used Tabac before)
Tub of bacon scented cream (Why anyone would buy this, I'll never know. I used it once and contemplated throwing out the brush after. I might PIF it to some poor sod if I don't bin it first.)

I was thinking about joining the shave sabbatical next year, so I'm going to have to stock up on soap (and get around to buying a hone (and learning how to use it)). I was re-reading this thread. HOLY CRAP, I'd forgotten just how much information is in here. I picked up my DR Harris based mostly on the recommendations of this thread. I have a few other soaps I want to try as well, such as MWF, Mike's, Mystic Waters, and QCS. After such an awesome month with DR Harris, I'll probably pick up one of every scent (except almond) in the near future.

Arko pressed into a bowl: 4/1/2013 - 4/30/2013
DR Harris Marlborough 5/1/2013 - 6/5/2013
Speick Stick: 6/6/2013 - ???

Disaster has struck the DR Harris Almond grated in my glassbowl. SWMBO was cleaning the bathroom when the bowl took a short flight to the tiled floor and apparently contaminated the soap with small pieces of glass. Lesson learned: do not use glass bowl.

So now I have to choose a new soap. I have been contemplating one of my sticks. I will play around with them and decide on one of them after the weekend!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Disaster has struck the DR Harris Almond grated in my glassbowl. SWMBO was cleaning the bathroom when the bowl took a short flight to the tiled floor and apparently contaminated the soap with small pieces of glass. Lesson learned: do not use glass bowl.

So now I have to choose a new soap. I have been contemplating one of my sticks. I will play around with them and decide on one of them after the weekend!

Even with the glass in the soap I would still use it. Yeah, it's that good. :wink: :biggrin:

Broke through the RR Nonno Michelino a couple days ago...I'm guessing it's got 10 days or so left. Time to start thinking about my next victim!

As usual, I'm wicked crappy at estimating time remaining...I now don't think the RR NM will make it past the weekend. I didn't appreciate how soft and water-logged the remainder is.

As usual, I'm wicked crappy at estimating time remaining...I now don't think the RR NM will make it past the weekend. I didn't appreciate how soft and water-logged the remainder is.
I found that leaving Italian soaps uncovered for a day or so helps a lot as far as getting rid of that extra moisture between shaves. The 3017 treatment can really soggy up a puck if it doesn't get enough time to dry out - see all the comments about Tabac pucks turning into cream in the 3017 thread nearer the end. I let RazoRock Classic dry out uncovered in my closet for about 2 or 3 weeks before I decided it had dried and hardened enough for my liking.

I found that leaving Italian soaps uncovered for a day or so helps a lot as far as getting rid of that extra moisture between shaves. The 3017 treatment can really soggy up a puck if it doesn't get enough time to dry out - see all the comments about Tabac pucks turning into cream in the 3017 thread nearer the end. I let RazoRock Classic dry out uncovered in my closet for about 2 or 3 weeks before I decided it had dried and hardened enough for my liking.

Understood, and I left the tub uncovered this morning after shaving, but there's been no damage done. The lather has been superb, and I haven't been using the cream any faster than normal (apparently, I'm a ~3g a shave croap guy) as the RR is tracking to hit 30-35 shaves for a 100g tub.

The end is near....

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I am sure that the for the next few weeks you will be very pleased with the 888. It is the perfect scent for this season.

I though I had about 60% left in the tub,but I broke through today so I think I have a lot less than I thought but I will buy it again.

had to take a break from my AOS lavender to try the MdC fougere. my apologies gentleman. I couldn't do it. Back on the horse I go though.

I am 16 days into my second puck of Stirling Soap Barbershop. Eyeballing it, it looks like I'm about half way through (forgot to weigh the container - can't be more scientific). The first puck was finished at 16 days which was way fast. The shaves are just as good, so why the difference? Two reasons:

1) I grated the first puck to press into a wider tin. I think that is most of the problem right there. This second puck I left as received. Still works great.

2) Our water is hard so I've been using distilled water to build my lather on this second puck. I was getting good lather before and now I'm getting much better lather. This is probably contributing to needing less soap.

I knew grating the soap shortened its life but I had no idea how much. Lesson learned.

Top Bottom