What's new

My first straight shave

I've been about a month with DE shaving, about a week after it i found this forum, gathering all kind of information and i ended up into straight razor section, since it has been my dream after i first saw one as a kid. After some thinking i decided to go for whipped dogs (thanks larry, the razor is excellent), and here i am. First time seeing one also, its surprisingly small. :)

The first strokes where pretty nerve wrecking... I dried the lather on me while pondering how i should stand/face so that i could see something. :lol:

Only did one WTG and i didn't really have much problems besides on my left sides under the jaw line and chin, finished with DE. No Cuts, nicks or weepers, i'm rather surprised! On the otherhand, i screwed up almost everything else.

Oiling the strop, i kinda got the oil all over the small bag and had to get that into safety while the strop had about 5 driplets on it, which left small dark dots on it, but i think i got the oil somewhat reasonably spread out over it.

Lathering... I can't believe how bad i screwed up here. It was my first time face lathering with a soap, which at first i thought was decent. Had some tugging at the start, figured i had the wrong angle (this is after first re-apply) and it started to go pretty smooth, until my face dried up again. I think it had something to do with how nervous i was, even thought i kinda lost fear of holding it on my cheek. I remade my lather at some point in a bowl, but once again it dried up after a couple of strokes... Well, neck was not that bad actually, i did left side of my neck with my right hand and vice versa, since my neck hair grows towards my face, i had to go blade up, which i was kinda afraid of at first, i held my razor completly straight when doing the neck "atg style". But at least i didnt have uncontrollable hand shaking as i had with DE on that spot! I actually forgot my moustache area here and there because i had to re-apply the later, but under the nose was surprisingly easy for me.

After about 7-8 lather applies i got every spot shaved, re-applied lather (omg again),switched to DE and was done quite fast, and i had no lather drying up on my face this time!
Alum stinged quite nicely, but it was less sting than first time with my DE.

Stropping - This one didnt go that bad, i didnt nick or slice the strop, i did however lift the razor at one point and i think the edge scraped it slightly at an angle (copule of hairs lenght spot) :eek2:, dont think i managed to destroy the edge, or at least i hope so, continued to do ~25 more laps without any mishaps and i think i slightly got the hang of it. Seems to be easier to do with abit of speed.

All in all, handling the straight went rather well, just have to focus on all the other stuff the next time also, especially lathering. :letterk1:

My first post here too, was about time, even thought i haven't been registered for long.

Two good things done and accomplished today, it's time to to open my first Black Tokyo* Horizon. :a54:

Last edited:
Good start. Great start. It seems like most everyone has some of the same type of problems starting off, but the fact that you didn't have any problem with the left side of your face is really excellent. About stropping (and I am a complete beginner). I'd read numerous posts about it and watched some videos, but the video that helped me the most was the one at thesuperiorshave.com where it demonstrated how, as you reach the end of the lap, to begin changing direction while you are flipping the blade over. In other words, the direction of motion has changed before the flip is complete. Watch it.... you'll see.

Congrats on your first straight razor shave! :thumbup1:

Thanks for the comments.
That stropping clip is bookmarked now, probably going to spend a couple of hours re-watching it at some point.

15/16? sounds like something that might have been my initial expectation. Can't wait for the next shave and improving my self.
Have to watch Chimensch's video at least 10 times before it.. maby i'll grasp a couple of things out of it this time!

Ah Hiisi... I see now you're from Finland! Our dogs, now both gone, came from Kotka. One of them is my avatar.

Regarding the size. I bought a 5/8 full hollow starter razor and then, when it seemed I'd continue with the straight shaving, I bought a 6/8 quarter hollow. The latter seems surprisingly heavy in the hand. Personally, I am finding it easier to learn with the lighter one. I wonder how it is for other newbies?

Also got a full hollow, but i'm not sure how big it is, think it's a 5/8. The feedback is lovely thought, could tell if i was going to nick my self if i continue without changing something.
Most likely going for a half or quarter next to see how the weight works, but i'd imagine that the stroke is slightly easier with a half hollow when you start. But it probably doesn't matter that much as long as the blade is actually shave ready and you get the first strokes done without cutting yourself.

Thanks for the comments.
That stropping clip is bookmarked now, probably going to spend a couple of hours re-watching it at some point.

15/16? sounds like something that might have been my initial expectation. Can't wait for the next shave and improving my self.
Have to watch Chimensch's video at least 10 times before it.. maby i'll grasp a couple of things out of it this time!

i think 5/8s-6/8s is most people's initial expectation... i am not sure but it looks like a lot of the whipped dog unseen are probably 4/8s -5/8s

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Vintage blades are generally smaller... 5/8 was the more popular width back in the day, while 6/8 is more popular now. Also, after decades of use and honing, a blade might easily be 1/8 or more narrower than when it was new. So you will naturally find most whippeddogs to be around 4/8 or maybe 5/8. This is smallish by today's standards but I (and many others) prefer a narrower blade. A light, delicate razor encourages a light, delicate touch. It makes the turn under the nose easier.

Try face lathering rather than bowl lathering.
1. Run hot water, let some stand on the soap for a minute.
2. Meanwhile, rinse your brush in very hot water.
3. Flick excess water from brush. I DO hope you are using badger, and not boar. ???
4. Pour water off soap,
5. With light brush pressure, swirl the brush around on the soap about 40 times.
6. Work the soap into your beard. This exfoliates, and softens and lifts the whiskers.
7. re-wet the brush as needed with a trickle of hot water, and work the new water into the soap on your face, until you have a nice, slippery lather.
8. If you have a badger brush, you can refresh your lather straight from what is in the brush. You don't need to repeat the whole process.

Most newbies who bowl lather make their lather too stiff and dry, like a meringue for a pie. You don't need a gigantic bouquet of lather on your face... just enough to provide lubrication and moisture.

If you bought the poor man strop kit from whippeddog.com, I highly recommend that you give your razor a dozen laps on the pasted balsa after every shave. It will help maintain your edge so it doesn't need honing as often.

You are off to a good start. It will only get better from here. Good luck and Happy Shaves!

*snip*

Most newbies who bowl lather make their lather too stiff and dry, like a meringue for a pie. You don't need a gigantic bouquet of lather on your face... just enough to provide lubrication and moisture.

If you bought the poor man strop kit from whippeddog.com, I highly recommend that you give your razor a dozen laps on the pasted balsa after every shave. It will help maintain your edge so it doesn't need honing as often.

You are off to a good start. It will only get better from here. Good luck and Happy Shaves!
The size is quite nice, it's probably easier to get around with it than with a bigger blade, especially with an angular face like mine.
Starting to get the hang of bowl lathering most of the times, well, it works quite well with my DE, probably because i'm alot faster (now) with it and it doesn't require as slick lather apparently. Will continue with the face lathering since it helps on the clean up time and i think it's nicer, more time with brush on the face. :lol:

It is a badger brush and i'm going to order a simpsons brush next with a 10€ boar brush just for the experience and perhaps use it as an travelling brush... i'm going to be bankrupt with this "cheaper than cartridge" -hobby soon enough, arent i?

It's indeed the sight unseen+poorman stropkit deal from whippeddog.. Forgot to add that tiny bit up there.
I think i'll do a shave or two before going for the balsa, i want slightly more stropping experience before jumping on the wood. Thanks for the information and tips!

2nd shave:

2 days growth
WTG and XTG on cheek.

This time i got the lather quite well builded on my face, i did have slight problems at start so i decided to do one WTG sweep with DE to reduce the stubble, after that i went quite smooth up to the chin, kept the angle as shallow as i could and reduced bit by bit and in the end it felt kinda smooth.

I did have quite a few problems on my neck and under the jaw line again, but i still think it was better than the first time. Didn't really have any problems going XTG on cheeks, but did put abit pressure on both passes and ended up with slight razorburn on chin and neck. :a7:

No nicks, cuts or weepers this time either and the shave is DFS on some areas, better than the first time around. Just need to figure out how to go around my trouble spots.
One shave with a straight and im twice as good/confident with my DE thought... never had as fast WTG before.

Gotta get hang of the stropping grip thought, my grip keeps switching places and almost had a couple of accidents thanks to it.

It is a badger brush and i'm going to order a simpsons brush next with a 10€ boar brush just for the experience and perhaps use it as an travelling brush... i'm going to be bankrupt with this "cheaper than cartridge" -hobby soon enough, arent i?

~~~like most everything else used in wet shaving, brushes are highly personal and everyone has their favorite(s)
proxy.php

with the brush choices I have at the top, one might think I'd grab the Chubby 3 most of the time, but nothing could be further from the truth. My favorite brush is the $14 Omega #48...the chromed handled jobbie, and I prefer the one with the shorter loft, but it's shorter from lotsa use Luigi

and I like/prefer shaving soaps, face lathered of course

Oh, about what you might spend as you get going....hold onto your wallet, it's going to get a lot lighter :yesnod:

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Regarding the size. I bought a 5/8 full hollow starter razor and then, when it seemed I'd continue with the straight shaving, I bought a 6/8 quarter hollow. The latter seems surprisingly heavy in the hand. Personally, I am finding it easier to learn with the lighter one. I wonder how it is for other newbies?

~~~hey Ed....From my POV, I've always preferred the full hollows over 1/2 and 1/4 grinds. I still buy and use the heavier blades (ones I find that need attention) from time to time...it's fun to switch around. I'd think it'd get pretty boring fast shaving with the same blade type day after day. Would be easeir to perfect your shave using the same tool day in and day out but for me, variety (blade types) is where it's at

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Third shave (attempted third shave abit before but i ran out of time suddenly and had to stop after 1 cheek and switch to DE for a quick "rinse of whiskers"):

2 days growth, used my new green prosaso tube (soft soap?) and new semogue 1800 brush (even without breaking it in it's an lovely brush, and i didnt really smell anything foul, perhaps im used to animal smell?). Should have worked out first how to lather with it properly, but i still managed to get pretty nice lather out if after a few attempts.

Tried to start off with the straight, but it ended up quite poorly... Sideburns and cheeks went well on both sides, but jawline and chin had major problems and i had to shorten the stubble to skin level with a DE.
Did one wtg the straight, the face went quite nicely after i increased the angle slightly, chin was so-so, with slight razor burn (not sure if it was thanks to first attempt), moustache was decent. Figured out how to shave my jawline! :biggrin:

Slight razor burn on the neck since i tried to clean up a certain trouble spot on both sides, but otherwise no improvent on that area.

Ended up with a comfortable shave, some areas near DFS. Slight improvement, still got alot to learn. I got the hang of stropping and finally got HHT to work with my own light hair thought!
Hopefuly on my next shave i'll learn how to get rid of growth without tugging and burn. :letterk1:

Last edited:
Sixth or seventh shave, first pass with DE since i've had some horrible attempts between, but wow. When its smooth it really is smooth! used more of the middle part of the blade this time and noticed that the end edge is dulled as not to cut into me when doing something stupid. I think i've used half of the dulled part when going for stuff most of the time... :a6:
Managed to clear out some problem spots decently, definetly an improvement here! had no problems going XTG either, but i did that only on my face and i didnt have that bad of irritation (except on my neck, but im getting better at it too).
Cleaned jawline slightly with DE, annoying spot. Under the jawline it's going towards my ears, do a WTG pass and then its suddenly diagonal, you go diagonal both ways, 2 way XTG and it's still there... J-hooking seems to do the trick thought, but i'm not really sure you can do that with a straight. Also noticed that at certain parts im doing slight slicing motion. Started to sweat abit when i noticed it, but it turned out fine.

Was thinking if its really worth to stick it through before todays shave, apparently it is :)

Top Bottom