What's new

My first set of scales.

So, a couple of months ago I bought at an antique fair a beautiful Mannos 14 razor, the blade looked to be in very good shape and the scales.... Well, they were salvageable, faux tortoise, not the prettiest I have seen, plus they had broken at some point and the owner had glued them back.

Lomg story short, I broke the scales while unpeening. Being by then fully immersed in this whole COVID pandemonium I decided it was time to put all this free time to good use. Got the tip on this board to watch Lewis Razors' tutorial on hiw to make scales with minimum equipment, purchased that minimum equipment and also the materials.

I decided to go for Perspex, I have been well advised on this matter by Drew Dick (my, oh my, you are one patient man mate!) and he suggested this material for a beginner.

It's taken me longer than anticipated having to learn a few tricks while notnignoring completely my family but I got there in the end.

There's a few things that need to be corrected, I am not happy at all about the wedge, there's scratches that need to be fixed and the pins need some sanding and polishing but, all in all, I am pleased.

Hope you like it.

P. S. Test shaved it today and she's a fabulous razor. Took me my sweet time until I managed to set a bevel, quite a hard steel on this one, but the shave's been rather nice.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Agree great job! You can tell you put some thought to this. The design of the scales fit that blade very well! Nice pin job too. Just polish up that wedge and call it done. I just did my first scales too and they came out sweet!

Welcome to your new hobby and many more to come, on this fantastic rescale I love them you will soon be learning new tricks with acrylic.

one I did a couple of months back sorry about the dust on the scales.

5.jpg

Thank you all for your kind words. I am pleased how they came out but I'm even happier about the many things I've learned. I've got another restoration project these days, so I'll ignore the itch to make another set for a while, but I will do it soon.

Ian, that's a nice design, lovely lines. Did you do the insert yourself?

Thank you all for your kind words. I am pleased how they came out but I'm even happier about the many things I've learned. I've got another restoration project these days, so I'll ignore the itch to make another set for a while, but I will do it soon.

Ian, that's a nice design, lovely lines. Did you do the insert yourself?

Mastropiero you're doing well mate, now you have found the itch you will be doing more soon.

And yes I did the insert with a lazer and filled with gold paint.

Top Bottom