What's new

My first re-knot. Ever-Ready C40

Great job! How does this compare to your other brushes? Are you planning on doing more restorations?

This brush is different than any of my others. It is the only pure badger I have so far. It is brand-new and needs a good break-in, so I can't really asses it fully. However, I love it! It is less dense than my other brushes, which gives it great flow and it just gives up that lather as you ask for it. It is definitely more prickly than my best badger brushes and even than my Omega boar (Omega boar is actually very soft on the face). It lathers very well and works very well. Pricklier on the face, which I don't mind and expect to mellow with break-in.

I will definitely do more restorations. In fact I have another Ever-Ready brush on the way to me. This one is supposed to have a solid handle and an old badger knot. We'll see when it arrive if it even needs a re-knot.

Thanks!

thanks for the the tutorial. i think i'll use the cork/epoxy trick to get a shelf for the knot, as it appears to be hollow inside with no shelf.

thanks for the the tutorial. i think i'll use the cork/epoxy trick to get a shelf for the knot, as it appears to be hollow inside with no shelf.

Cork is good for taking up space, but if you want a little weight in the handle, which feels very nice, add a few coins or even buck shot or fishing weights, etc. Then just fill with epoxy to the shelf level and let cure. You can then adjust the depth by drilling down a little and dry-fitting the knot until you are happy with the loft height. Remember that the height will be slightly higher because some epoxy will get under the knot when you finally set it in. Also, a very trick I learned is to make sure that there is space around the knot in the handle. what I mean is that the hole should be kind of barrel shaped instead of straight cylindrical. This way the epoxy has a space to form a bead around the knot inside the handle. This makes for a very strong hold and much less squeeze out mess. You are creating a some volume for the epoxy and then you don't even need to have it come up all the way to the very top. If you have a hollow handle this will happen naturally if you do a good job cleaning out old stuff from just under the edge. In a solid handle I use a ball-shaped grinding stone to carve out that space for the bead. I also put masking tape on the knot right at the setting line. This way if there is a squeeze out it will not go into the bristles. I also put masking tape on the handle right over the hole and then use small knife blade (exacto) to cut out the tape over the hole. Any squeeze out ends up on the tape, but I still try to make sure there is little to no squeeze out.

Have fun!

Top Bottom