What's new

My first (and second) straight shave

Hi there, I am pretty new, or rather I have been signed up for ages but only just recently bitten the bullet and bought my straight. I bought a Ford and Medley Arrow Razor from Steve at Invisible Edge.

So far the two shaves are pretty much as expected. Not too much blood though just a couple of nicks. My face has been burning each time but again I expect that's just practice. The razor is great on my cheeks where I am already getting a pretty smooth shave. Around my neck and chin is a different storey at the moment. Still trying to get the blade angle right I guess and the shave is pretty uneven.

Still for only 2 shaves I am pretty happy so far. Any tips on getting better results on my neck would be great though.

I also stumbled across a Cadman Bengall in an antique shop yesterday so I have a little project on my hands too.

Welcome aboard, and congrats on surviving shaves 1 and 2.

I'll leave the advice to the high timers. The more details you give them, the better they'll be able to troubleshoot the issues. This place is quite a resource.

Welcome to B&B Seth!

Sounds like you're doing pretty well with your straight. The burning may be from too much pressure - remember to use a very light touch with your straight. It may also be due to angle - try and keep the blade as flat as possible against your skin and this will provide a smoother shave with less irritation. You may also want to try making your lather a bit more watery - I know for a fact that my lather dries out when I use my straight because my shave takes longer. Shaving with a straight with dry lather is not fun, believe me!

Keep up the good work, it'll get easier before you know it.

Top Bottom