What's new

My experience with the Winning Razor

I was intrigued with a Made in USA stainless DE razor for $50.00 so I ordered one. It arrived and things did not go well from the very beginning. A free glass bottle of mint aftershave (yes, someone sending ME aftershave - cough, cough...) was loose inside the soft mailer and the USPS mechanical sorting equipment crushed it. This soaked all the ingredients to the point that USPS gingerly placed the saturated mailer into a plastic bag, left it and ran off before I could ask any questions. Lovely.

"Hey, did you order something with MINT in it?"

"No, but I had a razor on the way..."

"I can't make out the label very well but I don't think it is supposed to be WET."

(Looking at the wet label) "Ohhhh, I think my razor is in there..."

IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg

The razor was fine (oops, the word "fine" is not in my vocabulary... :biggrin1:) not hurt in any way so it was a simple matter of cleaning it off and using it. I did write to the company and let them know what happened. I also made it clear that all was well / that my intent was to help them know to package liquids in a zip lock bag that is then bubble wrapped for safe shipping. I said I was not looking in any way for some discount / refund / exchange - that I was hoping they would do better with future orders.

I heard back the same day from the company with apologies. In spite of my best efforts they let me know that there is some free product headed my way to make up for the experience. They went on to say they would toss in a little something else as their way of saying thank you to me for my patience and understanding.

Will keep you posted on what arrives...

On to the razor. The fit and finish are quite exacting. The head of the razor has some real heft to it - more than I am used to with my vintage Gillettes. I see the heft as a benefit in that it holds the head firmly against the skin. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I could grip the handle even when wet. Somehow I was expecting it to be a bit slippery but they nailed it with just the right grip. The biggest surprise to me what that there is no name on it anywhere. I looked it over and thought I must have missed it but nope, no name or symbol that I saw.

On to the shave - two shaves in at this point. It is different, just different and in a good way but I have to get used to it. There is a window, a narrow window, that is the proper angle to hold the razor against the skin. The geometry of the head forces you to hold that angle. This would be a great razor for anyone starting out. If you are not in that narrow window you know it - the razor slips across your face as if there were no blade in there at all.

I got two terrific shaves out of it so far. I loaded up my go-to blade (Feather) the first time and was a bit cautious with it. Second shave I realized I could go right to it and not be concerned about any weepers. I have used a LOT of razors and whittled it down to around eight that work for me and my skin. A few of those I need to be careful with but boy do they perform. The Winning Razor, it seems so far that I don't need to be real careful with it and it delivers great results. This after only two shaves. So I see it getting even better.

Will update here as more info comes along but I'd say this is one razor that is well named!

IMG_4929.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

Those are some tiny holes! My first glance at the handle and I was thinking, "this will be slippery when wet." If it's truly grippy, I may have to give this one a try.

It hadn't really occurred to me until now what a value that is. I just realized that the Hensons are now $80 and they are Aluminum. I got mine for half that when I bought them. It is really amazing to get a stainless razor even for the normal price. There is only one other company, in Canada, that can compete with that.

It hadn't really occurred to me until now what a value that is. I just realized that the Hensons are now $80 and they are Aluminum. I got mine for half that when I bought them. It is really amazing to get a stainless razor even for the normal price. There is only one other company, in Canada, that can compete with that.
When it was on sale for $39 this weekend I couldn't pass it up. Finding an American made CNC machined stainless steel razor for that price is unheard of.

By any chance is the only functional angle a quite steep one? Just curious.

I tried the Yates razor and it rewarded a very steep angle. I was wondering if this razor was similar.

I tried the Yates razor and it rewarded a very steep angle. I was wondering if this razor was similar.

Looking at the head geometry, it appears to be intuitive by feel. I suspect it's aimed at people switching over from carts. Just guessing but it appears to me to be the mid ground between steep and shallow. Hope this helps.

I was intrigued with a Made in USA stainless DE razor for $50.00 so I ordered one. It arrived and things did not go well from the very beginning. A free glass bottle of mint aftershave (yes, someone sending ME aftershave - cough, cough...) was loose inside the soft mailer and the USPS mechanical sorting equipment crushed it. This soaked all the ingredients to the point that USPS gingerly placed the saturated mailer into a plastic bag, left it and ran off before I could ask any questions. Lovely.

"Hey, did you order something with MINT in it?"

"No, but I had a razor on the way..."

"I can't make out the label very well but I don't think it is supposed to be WET."

(Looking at the wet label) "Ohhhh, I think my razor is in there..."

View attachment 1293808View attachment 1293809

The razor was fine (oops, the word "fine" is not in my vocabulary... :biggrin1:) not hurt in any way so it was a simple matter of cleaning it off and using it. I did write to the company and let them know what happened. I also made it clear that all was well / that my intent was to help them know to package liquids in a zip lock bag that is then bubble wrapped for safe shipping. I said I was not looking in any way for some discount / refund / exchange - that I was hoping they would do better with future orders.

I heard back the same day from the company with apologies. In spite of my best efforts they let me know that there is some free product headed my way to make up for the experience. They went on to say they would toss in a little something else as their way of saying thank you to me for my patience and understanding.

Will keep you posted on what arrives...

On to the razor. The fit and finish are quite exacting. The head of the razor has some real heft to it - more than I am used to with my vintage Gillettes. I see the heft as a benefit in that it holds the head firmly against the skin. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I could grip the handle even when wet. Somehow I was expecting it to be a bit slippery but they nailed it with just the right grip. The biggest surprise to me what that there is no name on it anywhere. I looked it over and thought I must have missed it but nope, no name or symbol that I saw.

On to the shave - two shaves in at this point. It is different, just different and in a good way but I have to get used to it. There is a window, a narrow window, that is the proper angle to hold the razor against the skin. The geometry of the head forces you to hold that angle. This would be a great razor for anyone starting out. If you are not in that narrow window you know it - the razor slips across your face as if there were no blade in there at all.

I got two terrific shaves out of it so far. I loaded up my go-to blade (Feather) the first time and was a bit cautious with it. Second shave I realized I could go right to it and not be concerned about any weepers. I have used a LOT of razors and whittled it down to around eight that work for me and my skin. A few of those I need to be careful with but boy do they perform. The Winning Razor, it seems so far that I don't need to be real careful with it and it delivers great results. This after only two shaves. So I see it getting even better.

Will update here as more info comes along but I'd say this is one razor that is well named!

View attachment 1293822

View attachment 1293823

Excellent review! Well balanced!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I guess it is somewhat steeper. Whether it is or not the design is such that when you keep it at that narrow angle-of-attack window you get some terrific results.

I agree, the Winning razor really is very good. Even better when you factor in the price. I feel like it's impossible to cut myself with it, yet it's still efficient enough for me and I like very efficient razors.

I think this is the best value out there in a stainless steel razor.

Well, Wet Shaving Club seems to really be "on it" with customer service. Today a complimentary package arrived to make up for a bad start. Two glass bottles that were - ahem - each bubble wrapped and secured in a plastic bag. All arrived in great condition and in a timely fashion.

I have often thought you learn more about a company when things don't go well. Here, I learned this is one well run outfit. Buy with confidence!

Pics with an appropriate background...

IMG_4931.jpeg
IMG_4933.jpeg
IMG_4934.jpeg

Well, Wet Shaving Club seems to really be "on it" with customer service. Today a complimentary package arrived to make up for a bad start. Two glass bottles that were - ahem - each bubble wrapped and secured in a plastic bag. All arrived in great condition and in a timely fashion.

I have often thought you learn more about a company when things don't go well. Here, I learned this is one well run outfit. Buy with confidence!

Pics with an appropriate background...

View attachment 1294382View attachment 1294388View attachment 1294390
Scott, I have been in customer service for 53 years, and I can attest that what sets great customer service apart from the rest is how they fix problems. Everyone is going to mess up from time to time. The difference is how they fix thee mess up.

I’ve never worked for a company that didn’t give me the authority to do what needed to be done to fix a relationship.

Instead of proposing a fix to a customer, I first apologize and then ask, “What can I do for you to make this right?” Most often they will ask for something less than what I was prepared to do. I usually do what the want and then add a little something to sweeten the deal.

Top Bottom