What's new

My continuing Straight Shaving Journey.

That little old fili sure looks like it will punch above its weight! Real nice job cleaning it up and getting her ready for another lifetime of shaving!!

Your daughter's boyfriend can get his own razor. I would loan it to him. If he becomes your son-in-law, then you can give it to him.

Your daughter's boyfriend can get his own razor. I would loan it to him. If he becomes your son-in-law, then you can give it to him.

Wow, there's a lot of y'all telling me not to give that one away! :)

I must admit I do reallly really like it..

Don't read too much into my post. I would have said the same thing if you were considering giving your daughter's boyfriend one of your GD 66s. My first born was a daughter, and I naturally have an antagonistic viewpoint on daughter's boyfriends. My daughter is 33 now, and this has changed from antagonistic to neutral with the current one, but that is only because I really like him.

Don't read too much into my post. I would have said the same thing if you were considering giving your daughter's boyfriend one of your GD 66s. My first born was a daughter, and I naturally have an antagonistic viewpoint on daughter's boyfriends. My daughter is 33 now, and this has changed from antagonistic to neutral with the current one, but that is only because I really like him.

I guess I'm a bit easier going on them. As long as they make her happy and aren't d-bags I try not to judge too much.. Fortunately the last two (both of which she's been with a lot of years) have been very likable - it's been a while since I wanted a balaclava and a length of black pipe in the night... ;)

In complete contrast to yesterday

15/16 Kayser steel - 20 suede, 60 or so cordovan (my mind wandered transfixed by the singing sound) Kanayama #3
Stropped Shoppe SE Rosemary Mint - bowl lathered
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
Captain's Choice Lime AS

$IMG_0137.jpg

N-S, Mount-ear/NS, then S-N and a bit of cleanup.. Another great shave off of Doc's edge.. Love that big blade, although it needs "different" kind of care than shaving with the ultra-tiny nano-fili yesterday..

Maybe I should take a week on the little baby fili and the fili 14 to see what that does for my technique.....

A nice 3 passes with the Fili 14.

Fili 14 JMP - 20 suede, 60 cordovan, Kanayama 3
Stroppe Shoppe SE Rosemary Mint
Whipped Dog Silvertip
Alum block
CWS
Floid Blue AS
Nivea ASB

Good shave, although not completely bbs as this was a "quick" workday 3 passer. Got a few weepers in my traditional neck problem area, hmm.. small and closed up but did the alum and cold water as well as the balm.

I skipped the canvas on my K3 today to see if there's any difference with just the suede and cordovan. I suppose starting with a fresh hone is a good way to find out!

Heh, I actually always do the balsa strop as the last step after I hone, and before the Kanayama.. after honing I normally do 15 on balsa with CROX, wipe well, then 15 on balsa with FEOX, wipe well, then my usual stropping routine, then shave.

Back to one of my big Wades.

Wade & Butcher 7/8 Full Wedge. 20 suede, 60 Cordovan, Kanayama #3
Queen Charlotte Soaps Vostok (mmmm.. chilly)
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
Floid Blue AS

View attachment 570218

A simply wonderful 3 pass BBS off of the big wade. Silent deadly whisker destruction. I've been on my more hollow blades a lot and vive la difference. N-S, Mouth-Ear, then S-N. Nice Cold water splash and a great splash of Floid, which I have missed for a while trying other things.

I'm looking back and hmm.. it for sure beat what I did with slightly less time off of my Fili 14 yesterday.. I do love my Filis, but I love these things too..

Heh, I actually always do the balsa strop as the last step after I hone, and before the Kanayama.. after honing I normally do 15 on balsa with CROX, wipe well, then 15 on balsa with FEOX, wipe well, then my usual stropping routine, then shave.

Interesting. I do have a balsa strop laced with CrOx, but I haven't used it in yonks.

What stone do you finish with out of curiosity?

Interesting. I do have a balsa strop laced with CrOx, but I haven't used it in yonks.

What stone do you finish with out of curiosity?

1um film over wet printer paper on a marble floor tile ;) - I'm a film heretic :)

My "normal" progression is bevel set on a DMT 1200, then 5um film on the tile, 3 um film on the tile, and 1 um film on wet paper on the tile.

If the razor really needs some initial abuse or edge fixing I'll use the DMT 325.

Bah - I've missed a few shaves. busy here.

Shave 156 was the Wiss, 3 passes, nice

today was shave 157 - Silver king.

$tmp_20291-IMG_20150328_160527-1286514620.jpg

A 2 pass workday shave:

Heifflor "Made for the Army" 6/8 wedge - 20 suede, 60 cordovan, Kanayama #3
Proraso Green, Face lathered
Whipped Dog Silvertip
CWS
Floid Blue AS

A really nice 2 pass N-S S-N with a couple touchups that was almost 3 pass quality... Touching BBS everywhere, just not quite in a couple spots.. I don't normally do this good in 2 passes.

$IMG_0078.jpg

I love it when my 2 pass shave gets almost as good as a three pass one. It doesn't Happen often for me, buy I love it when it does.

Gonna be away from the forum for a week or so.. Heading for a week on West Coast Trail on Vancouver island..

*might* take a razor along for the ride... we'll see.. :)

Top Bottom