What's new

My Blend - Just Mixed

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has done the "My Blend" from Pipes and Cigars?

I just mixed up 8 oz for me and a buddy,,,

38% Latakia
35% Yellow Virginia
15% Orinental
12% Hazelnut

I have no idea how this will taste..any predictions????

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hmmm, like a cup of hazelnut coffee with a cigarette put out in it? JK

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has done the "My Blend" from Pipes and Cigars?

I just mixed up 8 oz for me and a buddy,,,

38% Latakia
35% Yellow Virginia
15% Orinental
12% Hazelnut

I have no idea how this will taste..any predictions????
Never had hazelnut, but the rest sounds solid. I have been tempted to get my own blend formulated. I know they save your blend for future orders, but can other people try your blends?

Oc, not sure about that?

Hirsute...that's what I was going for!
I thought I would take a chance...hopefully it is smokable...

I'm not sure at what percentage latakia gets to be the only notes to stand out, but I thought it wasn't usually used in a blend for much over 25%, so you may have just a mostly latakia bomb with some slight sweetness on the back. I'm sure it will be smokeable, though. :)

I'm not sure at what percentage latakia gets to be the only notes to stand out, but I thought it wasn't usually used in a blend for much over 25%, so you may have just a mostly latakia bomb with some slight sweetness on the back. I'm sure it will be smokeable, though. :)

Yeah, I probably should have done a little more research :huh: Looks like this is arriving today! If it's good it will be my first PIF on the stock exchange!!

Yeah, I probably should have done a little more research :huh: Looks like this is arriving today! If it's good it will be my first PIF on the stock exchange!!

I was wrong... perique is usually kept at under 30%, seems some places go way higher in latakia even than you did...

"Fiftypercent Latakia would be considered a "heavy Latakia blend" . However, there are some commercial and shop blends that use as much as 70% Latakia in some of their English blends. "

Taken from:
http://www.jimscigarandpipe.info/Basic Pipe Tobacco Blending.pdf

great article on the dark leaf!

http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/latakia-lover/

"When you mix latakia with other tobaccos you have to be careful. Although some others like to smoke it almost pure.. With percentages around 3% to 5% you just start to notice latakia. The sweetness of the Cyprian variant comes alive around 10%. The wine-like character of the Syrian variant begins to emerge at 10% to 12% until it dominates the blend around 30% to 35%. The maximum of Cyprian latakia is around 40% to 50%. However, higher percentages (60%) are possible but then a very skilful blending hand is needed."

You're definitely going to taste the latakia in that. Might be a more latakia-heavy Early Morning Pipe. Should be good.

Very nice article indeed!

It does bring up a question about myself, though. I read this:
Peterson Old Dublin simply because it was the only one that the Rokado tobacconist had in stock. At home I anxiously opened the tin and smelled the contents. Whooaahh!!! My nose went open instantaneously. What the……. “Does anyone smoke this??” I thought.. “Wel ok, let’s give it a try.” I picked a Peterson (how fitting), filled it up and lit it. Whooaahh again!! Like smoking wood from a fireplace! I did not really enjoy that first bowl but I was intrigued.
and my thought was "Why would 'Like smoking wood from a fireplace!' sound like a bad thing?" Before I ever smoked anything in my life if you had said that to me I'd have said "sign me up!". I can't think of a whole lot of more appealing scents/flavors than that. The best potato I've ever had, I was cooking above a campfire, not wrapped in foil, when it accidentally fell in. I also loved Arko the first time I sniffed it. I even like the smell of automotive exhaust on a cold morning, both gas and diesel (though I absolutely loathe the scent of raw diesel fuel, and I find it completely impossible to clean from clothes while other people use it as a solvent to clean other smells).

Why am I so off-kilter from the rest of the world?

Very nice article indeed!

It does bring up a question about myself, though. I read this:

and my thought was "Why would 'Like smoking wood from a fireplace!' sound like a bad thing?" Before I ever smoked anything in my life if you had said that to me I'd have said "sign me up!". I can't think of a whole lot of more appealing scents/flavors than that. The best potato I've ever had, I was cooking above a campfire, not wrapped in foil, when it accidentally fell in. I also loved Arko the first time I sniffed it. I even like the smell of automotive exhaust on a cold morning, both gas and diesel (though I absolutely loathe the scent of raw diesel fuel, and I find it completely impossible to clean from clothes while other people use it as a solvent to clean other smells).

Why am I so off-kilter from the rest of the world?

I LOATHE the smell of diesel fuel as well. I used to work in the oilfield and the most of the wells I was on were drilled using oil-based mud (aka drilling fluid). The "oil-base" was diesel fuel. And that stuff got EVERYWHERE and soaked into EVERYTHING!

I LOATHE the smell of diesel fuel as well. I used to work in the oilfield and the most of the wells I was on were drilled using oil-based mud (aka drilling fluid). The "oil-base" was diesel fuel. And that stuff got EVERYWHERE and soaked into EVERYTHING!

Worked in an oilfield? That's not something I can say I've ever heard anyone else say... ever... lol Must be an interesting story in there.. (or two).

Worked in an oilfield? That's not something I can say I've ever heard anyone else say... ever... lol Must be an interesting story in there.. (or two).

I used to be on a forum that had a few roughnecks. Those guys have a heck of a tough job, but they sure get paid well.

Top Bottom