What's new

My best performing soap is .

I have to go with Tabac. There are so many fantastic soaps out there, but I think Tabac is just a step up from everything else I have tried.

Tabac
Cella
Haslinger Schafmilch
I coloniali
Proraso (why is it so underrated?)
D.R. Harris Marlborough

Last edited:
Kinda glad to hear that Tabac and Pre de Provence (which is second on my to-try soaps list behind Haslinger Schafmilch), are your two top soaps from that list, ahead of RazoRock and Stirling. I've pretty much avoided the artisanal soaps. Plenty of great, reliable old school soaps out there.

Kinda glad to hear that Tabac and Pre de Provence (which is second on my to-try soaps list behind Haslinger Schafmilch), are your two top soaps from that list, ahead of RazoRock and Stirling. I've pretty much avoided the artisanal soaps. Plenty of great, reliable old school soaps out there.

Hi Rick,
When I was quite new in WS, I also tried to avoid artisan soap.
When buying RR Captain's Choice, I even did not know it's an artisan soap.
But after using RR, I am quite satisfied with it.
Haslinger Schafmilch is unquestionably a great soap,
but I just cannot stand its scent.

MdC is still my overall favorite, but I have no soap that performs better than Tabac. Others I enjoy include Nuavia, Valobra variants, Haslinger, Soapy Sudsery, B&M.....so many soaps, so little time.

At this point I might have to say midnight and two!! Two shaves in and this stuff is an awesome performer! Tons of slickness, lots of protection and cushion and a very good post shave feel. This stuff has really flown under the radar on this forum, I'm a bit surprised about that.

Haslinger Schafmilch is unquestionably a great soap,
but I just cannot stand its scent.
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Is there something about the fragrances used by German and Austrian soaps? Besides Haslinger Schafmilch, I also have problems with the fragrance of Tabac and Speick.

I'm quite the opposite. I started out wet shaving with artisan soaps and now have about 15 of
the soaps that get attention on this site. They are all good and there are several more that I
want to acquire. I really need to try some of the old school soaps as I'm sure that i won't be
disappointed.

Haslinger Schafamilch forever. No debates no pointed discussions, just Haslinger Scafmilch everyday for over 365 days now without a single thought or wonder given to any other soap out there. Just beautiful stiff yogurty pillowy peaks doing their Austrian lovliness down to the molecular level - every single day - period. And yes - I have my secret sources and I ain't tellin!

Long Live The Schafmilch!!

$Logo_HASLINGER.png

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one. Is there something about the fragrances used by German and Austrian soaps? Besides Haslinger Schafmilch, I also have problems with the fragrance of Tabac and Speick.

Ya..
In fact, I love Tabac scent very much, and I think this is why my Taabc always ran out so fast.
Speick is a neutral one for me (both on scent and performance).
Regarding Haslinger Schafamilch, it's so great but its scent is too powdery for me.

Not including creams my top soaps not in any order

Klar Seifen
ABC
Panna Crema Nuavia
Valobra and the others they make, AOS tallow, C&S
MdC
Tabac
Saponificio Varesino
CRSW
I Coloniali

Currently trying out Boellis Panama so far have used it once and it is one of the easiest lathering soap I tried, comparable to MdC as far as ease of lather.

If I have to narrow it down further it would be Valobra, Klar Seifen, ABC, Nuavia.

1. Saponificio Varesiono or Antica Barbieria Colla
2. Klar Seifen or Martin De Candre
3. Hasslinger or Tabac
4. Cold river Soap Works or Le Pere Lucien (tallow)
5. Valobra (tallow)

Haslinger Schafamilch forever. No debates no pointed discussions, just Haslinger Scafmilch everyday for over 365 days now without a single thought or wonder given to any other soap out there. Just beautiful stiff yogurty pillowy peaks doing their Austrian lovliness down to the molecular level - every single day - period. And yes - I have my secret sources and I ain't tellin!

Long Live The Schafmilch!!

This +1000...I like other scents, but Haslinger's performance is too good to give up. I've moved my scent preferences to fragrance choices - which is a whole nother rathole...

Hands down has to be:
Viking's Old Norse. The deep container is a huge plus as well. Close second is Stirling's Ben Frank

Top Bottom