What's new

MY 1st Shave With A 2013 Muhle R41

Wow, what a sobering experience.

After more than 2 years of DE shaving, I was confident my technique and skill were up to the task of tackling the R41. I must take some time to reassess my skills. I have read thread after thread about people's shaving experience with this razor. I've taken in all the tips, read all the horror stories, soaked up all the positive and negative comments and felt I had enough information to proceed. The feel of the blade on my skin was very similar to the blade feel of my Otto Roth New LC. The feel of the blade against the skin on both razors is very prominent. However, unlike the New, the R41 did not glide easily over my skin. I debated and debated about which blade to use. Ultimately I went with the advice I read in a thread that said just start with your favorite blade. You know how it shaves and how it reacts. The less variables the better, so I loaded it with a brand new Voshkod. I also lathered up with Cella, thinking the tallow based soap would provide some extra slickness.

I have read many accounts which describe the feel as "tugging" across your face. That is a great way to describe it. It was almost as if the shave cream wasn't there and I was pulling the razor across dry skin...that kind of tugging. I started with approximately a 30 degree angle, which is what is generally recommended, including what Muhle says is the optimal angle in their literature. I went to my left cheek and decided to try a steeper angle as some have said work for them; closer to 45 degrees. Same effect, although slightly better, but certainly not smooth. Then I got to my chin. Even going with the grain it felt like my whiskers were being grabbed and my skin would be pulled up like a piece of sod being cut and rolled.

So, before I got to my neck I rinsed off the Cella and applied my Cremo Creme. This is the slickest stuff I have ever shaved with. It's slicker than goose snot. It did help the razor glide slightly better, but still not as smooth as I would like. After the first WTG pass I decided to try a different blade. I've never had a bad Voshkod yet, but anything is possible. I loaded an Astra which has been smooth in every razor I've tried. My next pass was XTG, which for me is S to N. Not much better. I stuck with the Cremo which helped, but it still wasn't comfortable and when I got to places where my whiskers are denser and thicker, under my jawline and my chin, I just almost couldn't get the razor to cut through the whiskers without feeling like my skin was being ripped off. I finished my second pass the best I could. I felt my face hoping to at least feel the almost complete lack of whiskers, despite the rough feel. It was not to be. It did not feel any different than my face after 2 passes with any other razor, except it hurt more.

I started a 3rd pass ATG ( I know, I know ) along my jawline, but my skin just couldn't take it. I had brought my Merkur 25c into the shower with me, just in case there were issues. Compared to the R41, it felt like there wasn't a blade in the Merkur. I did the best I could to clean up the stubble that was left, but there were a lot of places that were just too painful to shave over and get close.

So, I ended up with a not so close shave and a face that hurt like hell. I got out of the shower, dried off and disassembled both razors and patted all the parts dry and put them back together. I dried my brush as well. Then, it was time for the inevitable. I needed to apply my ASB, but I knew it was going to hurt; and it did. My Weleda is the best ASB I have ever tried. It is soothing and cooling, with just enough alcohol to be antiseptic. The burn faded in 4-5 seconds and I finally got the cooling sensation. I got up close and could see quite a bit of razor burn along my jawline and razor bumps around my mouth and on my cheeks. I NEVER get razor bumps and only occasionally get burn...usually with a new razor.

I walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen where my wife was. She looked at me and said "holy cow, that looks like it hurts". So, that was my first experience with the milder, gentler 2013 R41. If this is tame, I'd hate to think what the 2011 version is like. I am not going to give up on this razor yet, but I certainly couldn't go to work with a shave like this. The burn would distract me all day. I'm going to try again next weekend with a different blade and different creme. I'll try a GSB or or and Israeli Crystal or maybe a Bic Chrome Platinum. I don't have any Derby's, which I hear for some reason work really well with this razor. I may have to order some.

I really want to like this razor, but if I can't get this figured out it will have to go. More to come, but not off to the best start.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
The 2011 R41 Grande used to be my daily shaver until I tried the Merkur Slant.
That being said, the R41 gives an awesome shave once you learn what she needs.
Dont give up.

Executive summary:

"Having some minor teething issues when it comes to using it (such as the feeling of my face being pulled off). More to come. If alive."

:001_cool:

I wish I was more succinct. I can't seem to write anything that I don't end up making wordy. I know the people that work for me wish my emails were shorter. They've just learned to smile and make fun of me behind my back.

For myself I found this razor works best with the sharpest blades (Polsilver SI,Feather) and lather must be with more water than usual.

I just almost couldn't get the razor to cut through the whiskers without feeling like my skin was being ripped off.

This exactly describes my own experience with the 2013 R41, although I at least finished with a really close, irritation free, shave. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a heavier handle for my R41, as I think the extra weight will help. I am in a similar position to you, in that I have to limit my razor experimentation to the weekends, so I view my R41 as a long term project.

Sorry to read this Jeff. The 2013 Muhle R41 was my second DE after only about a dozen shaves with the 34c under my belt, using the feather which was my only blade brand at that time. I had no problems at all, which is not because I would think I was very talented (I believe I'm not) but rather that I was not "spoiled" by forgiving razors and had a huge respect of both, razor and blade. My approach with the R41 was to start a stroke with the handle almost parallel to the skin and lifting it until the blade starts to chop the whiskers off, not a single bit more. I use very light strokes, and not too long ones either, in order to keep the angle as close as possible to the optimum. Like this the R41 gives me absolutely irritation free shaves. Since starting with this razor I have tried it with various blades and finally stuck with the GSB which is much smoother than other blades and makes much less noise too. While I managed several times to end up with some minor weepers around two scars I have on my chin this never happened with a GSB. I hope some of my experiences may help. If not, just stick with the razors that work for you, maybe not everyone's skin is made to R41 requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise gents. I am not going to give up on this razor. I may try to track down a heavier handle. I have my eye on the Weber Classic as I like a longer handle. In the meantime I am going to go back to basics, really concentrate on finding the right angle and the right blade. I think I am going to go with the GSB next. If that doesn't work the Israeli Personna Crystal, which is exceedingly sharp also. Then my Bic Chrome Platinum and if that doesn't work I'll order some Polisilver SI's, some Med Preps and even some Derby's, since I hear those work well for some people.

This is a razor that I really want to like for some reason. I've had it in my head for a long time that this will be the razor that works best for me. I just knew that I would shave with it for the first time and it would be heavenly. Boy was I wrong. Perhaps I didn't respect it enough. The thing I couldn't get over was the tugging. It was truly awful. Awful. My face is still sore 12 hours later. My Otto Roth is an aggressive razor. The blade feels very similar to the R41 on my face. But the Otto Roth cuts like all my other favorite razors, sharp and smooth with one of my favorite blades loaded.

I'll give the R41 at least several more attempts. I am committed to finding out if I can make this work for my face. I have the desire. I can acquire the skill if I don't have it. What I can't change is my skin and face and ultimately it may be that this razor just isn't for me. But I am going to work hard to find out.

The tugging was the reason I sold my 2011 R41. If you had a lot of tugging with the 2013 head I cannot image the tugging you would have gotten with the 2011. I'm actually looking at getting the 2013 to see how it shaves for me.

I also experienced tugging with this razor, but it subsided to a point where shaving with the razor is enjoyable. Using a shallow angle, a feather light touch, and a variety of blades I found combinations that yielded little tugging. I found the lighter handle (the stock handle) worked better than aftermarket stainless steel handles (too heavy). I think there will always be a slight tugging feel due to the unique geometry which makes the user feel the blade on the face.

I never go ATG with this razor, I only do 2 passes WTG and XTG.

For myself I found this razor works best with the sharpest blades (Polsilver SI,Feather) and lather must be with more water than usual.
This has been my experience with my 2011 R41. Feathers work the best— no tugging; just an incredible close, comfortable shave with a VERY light touch. I would get the 'tugging' with less sharp blades. Good prep is vital, too.

I had a R41 2013 a couple of months ago. I used it for just 3 shaves and found I was getting too much irritation from it. I sold it and for some reason soon after I was drawn to it again. So I bought another one. I don't know why but this time I am getting much better shaves. No irritation.
I did feel some tugging my last shave but the blade was an Astra with 5 shaves on it already. So it could just have been the blade getting dull. I can usually get 9 shaves out of an Astra blade. I do notice blades do not last as long in the R41 for some reason. I am still experimenting with blades. I think a good sharp blade may be the answer.

GIVE UP! It isn't worth it. The safety bar was invented for a reason. This R41 is and will continue to be rough and unrefined; extremely difficult to work with.

GIVE UP! It isn't worth it. The safety bar was invented for a reason. This R41 is and will continue to be rough and unrefined; extremely difficult to work with.

Technically, I think that the R41 is a safety bar razor & at best, it could be classed as a hybrid. Maybe it needs its own classification, perhaps it could be a "Danger bar" razor? :001_smile

It gets easier. A heavier handle like a bulldog helps.

It does tug more than any other razor Ive tried and I get equal performance with a fraction of the effort with my Futur at 6.5. Can't recommend it enough :)

You need to try a more shallow angle. Put the cap on your face, then lower the handle until the blade is just on your skin. 30 degrees is too steep for this razor, in my opinion.

Top Bottom