What's new

Mr Taylor's Aftershave

This is a very pleasant aftershave from Taylor of Old Bond Street: not too harsh on the skin, with a fresh, musky aroma.

Hello Mr. Scarlatti. I see you are a relatively new member. Welcome to the forum. Great photo. I wish I could take photos like that. My meager attempts are none to good.

I appreciate your take on the Mr. Taylor A/S. As a general rule, I like Taylor of Old Bond Street's colonge type scents. At least in the shave creams. I suspect I would really like their sandalwood, Mr. Taylor, and I know I like Shave Shop and St. James. The "not too harsh on the skin" comment was what I was looking for. Many alcohol based A/S lotions are pure hellfire on my skin. If these are mild enough to use without undue burning then I really will have to consider buying a few bottles. Mind you I am not talking about applying this over a razor rashed face. Any alcohol base A/S will burn me fiercely if I get sloppy with the razor. Thanks again and keep those neat photos coming.

Regards, Todd

M

modern man

Tried it, liked it

But I am more of an Aqua Velva kind of guy :biggrin: Taylor's (all the T's for that matter) prices are a little high.

Scarlatti,
Could you do me a favor and post a pic of the ingredient list if you get a moment? I would greatly appreciate it.
Ross

Hello Todd, I wonder if you have tried D. R. Harris's Pink After Shave (pic below), which is very mild on the skin (it has a very low alcohol content for an aftershave) and an unassertive rose smell.
Hi Ross, below is a pic of the ingredient list for Mr Taylor's.

Hello Todd, I wonder if you have tried D. R. Harris's Pink After Shave (pic below), which is very mild on the skin (it has a very low alcohol content for an aftershave) and an unassertive rose smell.
Hi Ross, below is a pic of the ingredient list for Mr Taylor's.

Scartlatti. No I have not tried the Harris products but they are on my "to buy" list. D.R. Harris is the one major firm from which I have NO products. I will remedy that situation soon. Harris product availability is a bit spotty in the U.S. I know that Enchante carries it or did. I haven't checked lately. I think that Vintage Blades carries it as well. I would order from the UK since most purveyors there seem to carry a better selection than the maudlin amount of U.S. vendors. The shipping charges have kept me from it so far. I may have to thoroughly check out the U.S. sources. I am very interested in the A/S products from Harris. The reviews that come in are almost universally 100% positive. When you get consensus like that on a group as finicky as a bunch of picky wetshavers, then you know it is good indeed. The shave soaps are another item that ranks high on my list of must haves as well.

Regards, Todd

Nice pics, Scarlatti, welcome to B&B. Thanks for your comments on Mr Taylor's aftershave, I intend to try it very soon, and perhaps their Sandalwood, Victorian Limes and St. James as well. You said it is "musky". Would you please comment a bit further on that? Is it refreshing à la Aqua Velva? I lean towards traditional aftershaves, like AV (Doc Mottern here can confirm that, he he), Floid, Clubman...

Nice avatar, by the way. Domenico Scarlatti... Do we have a music lover or even a virtuoso among us?

Emilius, Thank you for your comments. I would say that the Mr Taylor's is certainly more of a traditional smell. Yes, I love Scarlatti, but cannot claim to have heard all 500+ of his sonatas yet! Domenico :biggrin:

Where can I buy Taylor's in the U.S. besides Classic Shaving, as they are out of stock on a few things? Thanks.

Chewy

The extremely well-regarded vintageblades.com has Taylors as well (but Jim is on vacation right now). I recently got the Mr. Taylor AS Gel and like the scent and feel of it though I can't yet comment on its healing/nurturing properties.

Top Bottom