What's new

Current set up/ Daily Driver

Don't know how to shave with a straight razor. You got any recommendations?
Loads upon loads of information available on B&B. These gents will steer you well.

Research a highly praised modern and have it “honemeistered” from one of our experts here. I found my starters while on travel in Europe; a Thiers-Issard and a Ralf Aust. The thought being that I would always have (at least) one on reserve while the other(s) were being honed.

You will need a good quality strop to extend the edge life; but in all honesty I do find it a more satisfying experience with a better result.

It requires much more alertness and attention - but is not difficult. Start slowly and incrementally increase your shaving range as you become more comfortable with it. I needed to make adjustments with my lathering up front to ensure more a wetter and slicker stage if you will.

This is my current Razor, Soap, and blades.
Gillette Fatboy E-1
Taylor of Old Bond Street (Tobacco Leaf)
Feather Blades
Looking for recommendations and different ideas
The best way to find recommendations is to tell people your preference in what you like, how you shave, frequency, aggressive preferences, etc. This thread will give you a bunch of everyone's fav equipment based on their preferences and not yours.

There was once a thread that said they hated a certain razor because it was inefficient - come to find out later that the guy shaved once a week with 1 pass WTG. I mean, how can you make the above statement without qualifying that that is how you shave when probably less than 1% of the board shaves that way. Figure out who shaves like you, has similar skin, and see what they like. If I listened to that guy, I would have never found the best razor I ever used and my current daily driver.

Loads upon loads of information available on B&B. These gents will steer you well.

Research a highly praised modern and have it “honemeistered” from one of our experts here. I found my starters while on travel in Europe; a Thiers-Issard and a Ralf Aust. The thought being that I would always have (at least) one on reserve while the other(s) were being honed.

You will need a good quality strop to extend the edge life; but in all honesty I do find it a more satisfying experience with a better result.

It requires much more alertness and attention - but is not difficult. Start slowly and incrementally increase your shaving range as you become more comfortable with it. I needed to make adjustments with my lathering up front to ensure more a wetter and slicker stage if you will.
Thanks for the recommendations.

The best way to find recommendations is to tell people your preference in what you like, how you shave, frequency, aggressive preferences, etc. This thread will give you a bunch of everyone's fav equipment based on their preferences and not yours.

There was once a thread that said they hated a certain razor because it was inefficient - come to find out later that the guy shaved once a week with 1 pass WTG. I mean, how can you make the above statement without qualifying that that is how you shave when probably less than 1% of the board shaves that way. Figure out who shaves like you, has similar skin, and see what they like. If I listened to that guy, I would have never found the best razor I ever used and my current daily driver.
It is very subjective, thanks

Top Bottom