What's new

Mother Of Pearl Dovo

Hi guys new to the forum but have had this particular straight razor for about 3 years and counting. I liked how it initially shaved but was def not ready to shave. I used a straight ruler and found that the spine itself was not "straight"

the blade on one side rest completely flat on the flat ruler but on the other side (marking) the blade has a pivot point about 6 mm from the round edge on the cutting side and 6mm from the edge on the handle side.

Any idea on how to fix? Dovo sell the razor portion without the handle (as the MP material has skyrocketed in price).

Thanks!

Hi guys new to the forum but have had this particular straight razor for about 3 years and counting. I liked how it initially shaved but was def not ready to shave. I used a straight ruler and found that the spine itself was not "straight"

the blade on one side rest completely flat on the flat ruler but on the other side (marking) the blade has a pivot point about 6 mm from the round edge on the cutting side and 6mm from the edge on the handle side.

Any idea on how to fix? Dovo sell the razor portion without the handle (as the MP material has skyrocketed in price).

Thanks!

You could take a new Dovo blade from a cheap plastic scaled razor and put it on the MOP scales, you could put a vintage blade on your dovo MOP scales, or lastly, you could send the razor out to a "honemeister" who might be able to even out the spine by honing the inconsistency out. Joe Chandler is really amazing for odd jobs like that.

If I were you though - I'd put a nice vintage W&B blade or the like on it. You can patrol ebay for awhile, find a sweet looking, good quality vintage blade - that's cheap look for one with poor quality looking scales, broken scales, etc - which will bring the price down, and since you will be pitching the scales regardless - you're set in the cheapest manner possible. Good quality vintage blades shave every bit as good as new ones - sometimes better, so it is by no means a downgrade.

You also might be able to send the razor to Joe Chandler or Bill Ellis and have them put a vintage blade on it they have already on the cheap - and have them hone it while you're at it, then ALL your bases are covered.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom