What's new

Most Popular DE?

Are you asking what is the most popular in that most people have it or what is the "best" shaver DE? Two different questions, IMHO.

I meant popular in the sense of what people think would be the best for them to own for shaving purposes.

Are you asking what is the most popular in that most people have it or what is the "best" shaver DE? Two different questions, IMHO.

This should not be like Family Feud in which the contestants are trying to guess what the most popular answer is. Instead, say what you like. The results of all the answers will tell us what is the most popular, at least for those participating in the poll.

I turn around for 2 minutes and more that 5 replies to the thread... You guys are on fire...

Hum, before someone submit a poll, I think that we all agree on the question that is: What is your favorite shaving implement?

The list, putted together by Bob with 12 options:

1.Other old safety razor (GEM/Ever-Ready including Lather Catcher, Star,1912, Micromatic or other variations, Rolls, autostrop, other?)
2. Other modern safety razor (Parker, Weishi, Muehle, Goodfella)

(following Gillette categories based on Krumholz book)
3.Gillette Old Type
4.Gillette NEW and New Improved including Goodwill and other variations
5.Gillette TTO including Super Speed
6.Gillette Tech
7.Gillette Adjustable

(following Merkur categories based on what's available from Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving)
8.Merkur Classic (23C, 33C, 42C, Travel, or gold variants)
9.Merkur Open comb (11C, 12C, 41C, or gold variants)
10.Merkur HD Classic (34C, 38C, or gold or colored handle variants, NOT slants)
11.Merkur Slant (37C, 39C, or gold variants, including HD slants)
12. Other Merkur (Progress, Futur, Vision)

---
I understand that some models will be very different from one another (all the superspeed versions). But, I think we could have a Superspeed poll later or a Gillette poll, then the Merkur poll...

Any thoughts?

I guess I don't the see the value of group #1 when it includes razors so unlike each other. Folks who would have choosen one of these razors won't want to vote for this whole group.

Same thing with group #2 . . . no one would want to vote for these diverse razors as a group either.

In group #4, I also don't feel most people who would choose either a New or a New Improved would want to vote on a catagory that included such diverse razors as these two types are. By the way, Krumholz doesn't group these two types of razors together.

Some of the other groups, such as group #12 also include such diverse razors that I really don't feel many people will be able to relate to them either.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are trying to determine with such a poll, but I don't feel it will be of any statistical value due to many people not really having a reasonable choice that represents their favorite razor.

Regards,
Tom

I guess I don't the see the value of group #1 when it includes razors so unlike each other. Folks who would have choosen one of these razors won't want to vote for this whole group.

Same thing with group #2 . . . no one would want to vote for these diverse razors as a group either.

The value is that each is a category to cover those razors within it. This is not supposed to be a vote for the whole group, but a way to find popular razors. You are voting for your razor by identifying which of those groups it belongs to. If it turns out that one of these groups has a very large vote count than a subsequent poll can sort that out.

This shouldn't be thought of as a competition where you are loath to put in a vote that might give an "advantage" to some other razor. It is a first-pass wide swipe at narrowing things down. Think of it as reduction instead of removal.:001_smile

In group #4, I also don't feel most people who would choose either a New or a New Improved would want to vote on a catagory that included such diverse razors as these two types are. By the way, Krumholz doesn't group these two types of razors together.

Again, why would someone not want to vote for the group that includes their favorite razor?

re Krumholz: My original list broke the Gillettes down further (alal Krumholz) but we are limited to the number of items in a poll. Again, if a group gets a large number of votes it will be interesting to break that down in a subsequent poll. If a group only has, say 3%, of the votes we can forget about it.

Some of the other groups, such as group #12 also include such diverse razors that I really don't feel many people will be able to relate to them either.
Same comments as above.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are trying to determine with such a poll, but I don't feel it will be of any statistical value due to many people not really having a reasonable choice that represents their favorite razor.

Name a razor that doesn't have a reasonable choice. I am not being facetious, but if there is a substantial set of razors that doesn't fit into the above we need to rethink it. If there is some odd-ball razor (e.g. an Enders) there is the "other" category. One category I can think of that isn't mentioned but probably can be squeezed into "other old" are the various Gillette "clones" from Germany and other places.

Top Bottom