What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

Modern Williams Mug Soap and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

The universal praise they get here baffles me. You think at least one voice would be raised in dissent, but it seems on these forums, these Emperors are fully clothed, and none dare point out the rather obvious shortcomings of these two always lauded products.

I started with Williams in the late 60's. Didn't like it then and won't buy it now. It always reminds me of Ivory soap.

There's way too much history and evidence showing badger makes for better shaving brushes.

Keep your eyes peeled when you're out hunting the flea markets, antique shops, and what-have-you. You'll be seeing old boars 10:1. While badgers may work better for you, there's certainly not "too much history" showing them to be more effective. Odds are that the men in your family's past generations used boars like the majority of men in the past, and probably looked pretty good in their MO jackets.

Yup, there was a lot of cheap junk for the common man out there back in the day (just like today). I know my dad shaved using a boar brush and so did I when I started shaving in the late 60's. We weren't rich, we bought our stuff at the local Thrifty drug store. When I came back to wet shaving after years of electric shaving I bought another boar brush but was thrilled to get a good badger brush. A world of difference to the benefit of badger. Lathers everything that I own quicker, better, and feels way better on the face. I don't hate boar brushes, I just feel badger is superior in every measurable way but for the cult thing going on recently over inexpensive boar brushes from a couple manufacturers. It's an internet thing IMO.

Last edited:
Modern Williams Mug Soap and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

The universal praise they get here baffles me. You think at least one voice would be raised in dissent, but it seems on these forums, these Emperors are fully clothed, and none dare point out the rather obvious shortcomings of these two always lauded products.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes you are just pure evil.....but in a good way :001_tt2:

Yeah you guys have to remember that unlike today without the internet you would all probably have only a burma shave clipped boar in your den that only contains Williams and Van Der Hagen. Everyone is spoiled now lol.

I don't hate boar brushes, I just feel badger is superior in every measurable way but the cult thing going on recently over inexpensive boar brushes from a couple manufacturers. It's an internet thing IMO.

Which has caused some of these "inexpensive" boar brushes to become quite expensive. Are hogs on the endangered list?

thats cyrillic which is the russian alphabet. they are made in the same factory in St Petersburg as the Russian 7 o'clocks and have the same glue spots on them
JB

I know Cyrillic when I see it, but çift trafli jilet doesn't seem cyrillic to me. I know they're made in russia, the packet says so. But I still think they're marketed for Turkey. Google translate recognizes çift as double and jilet as blade, so I guess trafli means edge or something like that...

Med Personna's, very irritating. I tried in a few different razors and just can't stand them. I prefer Gillette Yellows any day over them.

Honestly Tabac is the only soap that I can't get the lather right for the life of me. There never seems to be any glide in it at all no matter how much water I use, so I got rid of it and kept the bowl. I think most of Gillettes vintage razors pale in comparison to the shaves from an EJ 80 series, just like the EJ shaves pale in comparison to the straight razor.

1. The multiblade razor. I had a chapped face for 40 years to back that claim up.
  2. Aerosol foam. It doesn't protect your face. Some people call it canned goo, I call it canned nothing.
  3. Aerosol gel. It would protect your face if it didn't gunk up your razor and force you to press harder than the cushion of protection will allow. I couldn't rinse it completely from a multi-blade razor.

Shave music. I understand the concept, but the theory is overshadowed by the reality. If you play music during a shave, you can't hear the subtle sounds your razor is making, which diminishes your shave, IMO.

I don't hate boar brushes, I just feel badger is superior in every measurable way but for the cult thing going on recently over inexpensive boar brushes from a couple manufacturers. It's an internet thing IMO.

Ooop, there it is. Preference. Now I see.

Top Bottom