What's new

Most arcane post

I had thought that GP Joe’s “Coffee Bean Density” could not be topped for the most arcane post of all time, then someone posted this:

1707513398224.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I had thought that GP Joe’s “Coffee Bean Density” could not be topped for the most arcane post of all time, then someone posted this:

View attachment 1793861
This guy started this as a satirical joke and had so many orders he couldn’t keep up.

Anyone up for a group buy?
How about a LE sharpened pencil. We could discuss the merits of different ways to hold a pencil, the best angle for shading vs darkening, and how, after many many many pencils sharpened, we consider ourselves a sharpeningmeister. Manual or electric sharpener?

This guy started this as a satirical joke and had so many orders he couldn’t keep up.

How about a LE sharpened pencil. We could discuss the merits of different ways to hold a pencil, the best angle for shading vs darkening, and how, after many many many pencils sharpened, we consider ourselves a sharpeningmeister. Manual or electric sharpener?
Or lead density!

Last edited:
I really want to buy his book now. And is it really any sillier than the stuff we all post on here about shavng our faces?

It reminds me of the classic pipe smoking article by Professor Fred J. Hanna about the benefits of using an expensive artisan pipe tamper. It was tongue in cheek but there are many kernels of truth within it. It is simultaneously fatuous, profound, completely true, completely false, and revealing of our natures.

Hobbyists can create the deepest and most useless rabbit holes. Obsessions within obsessions. But it matters to us.

Or lead density!

Wait...that's not a thing?

I though lead density was directly proportional to the lead becoming more brittle and breaking...or was it the opposite?...I need a coffee...

...then I'm off to weigh some HB and 2H leads to compare them.

🤪🤪🤪

Seriously though, I do confess to a minor obsession with finding one of these vintage pencil sharpeners that use DE blades:

il_fullxfull.1415586361_m411.jpg
il_fullxfull.1415583595_orep.jpg

...even though I don't own any wooden pencils. 😄😄😄

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Wait...that's not a thing?

I though lead density was directly proportional to the lead becoming more brittle and breaking...or was it the opposite?...I need a coffee...

...then I'm off to weigh some HB and 2H leads to compare them.

🤪🤪🤪

Seriously though, I do confess to a minor obsession with finding one of these vintage pencil sharpeners that use DE blades:

View attachment 1794774View attachment 1794775

...even though I don't own any wooden pencils. 😄😄😄
For the low low price of $10 I will send you a brand new, unsharpened, #2 Ticonderoga pencil. For an extra $5 I’ll even give you a choice between “classic” yellow and our new tactical black pencil. Call now 1-900-Got-Lead

Phone rate of $15 for 1st minute and $5 for each additional minute apply. Average wait time is 30min. $9.95 shipping fee and $15 credit card transaction fee apply. Tactical black cannot be shipped to certain states because it may write faster and be pokier when sharpened than a “classic” yellow pencil. You are responsible for knowing the tactical black laws for your state.

For the low low price of $10 I will send you a brand new, unsharpened, #2 Ticonderoga pencil. For an extra $5 I’ll even give you a choice between “classic” yellow and our new tactical black pencil. Call now 1-900-Got-Lead

Phone rate of $15 for 1st minute and $5 for each additional minute apply. Average wait time is 30min. $9.95 shipping fee and $15 credit card transaction fee apply. Tactical black cannot be shipped to certain states because it may write faster and be pokier when sharpened than a “classic” yellow pencil. You are responsible for knowing the tactical black laws for your state.

Well, those certainly seem like reasonable prices, but only for graphite mined in Madagascar or Mozambique, not the cheap Chinese stuff. Everyone knows that Chinese graphite is more prone to smudging, regardless of density...but I'm not falling for the "tactical" thing...feels sketchy.

There are all sorts of expensive boutique pencils you can buy now. Blackwing is one that people rave about on pen fora. John Steinbeck used to use ‘Blackwing’ pencils, apparently, though the current Blackwing company has nothing at all to do with the company that made those, and I’m not sure John Steinbeck ever claimed the old ones were anything special either. I’ve tried one of the new ones and they are exactly the same as every other regular pencil. It’s amazing how much people will pay for a cheap, ordinary thing if there’s some clever marketing attached.

Not us, though. We would never fall for anything like that.

Top Bottom