What's new

Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

Anyone else noticed that very dense brushes tend to create lather on the "outside" of the knot while the less dense ones tend to mix the lather "inside" the knot? With very dense brushes and relatively short loft it feels like there isn't enough room for the lather inside the knot and I think it's inside the knot that the mixing action should take place, soap, water, air and bristle motion.

This is not my photo, but I think it's a good example of lather mixed well, inside the knot.

(Credit goes to my friend Aaron622, I hope he is OK with me sharing the photo. He's a lather meister!)

proxy.php

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed that very dense brushes tend to create lather on the "outside" of the knot while the less dense ones tend to mix the lather "inside" the knot? With very dense brushes and relatively short loft it feels like there isn't enough room for the lather inside the knot and I think it's inside the knot that the mixing action should take place, soap, water, air and bristle motion.

This is not my photo, but I think it's a good example of lather mixed well, inside the knot.

(Credit goes to my friend Aaron622, I hope he is OK with me sharing the photo. He's a lather meister!)
I'm not sure what you mean...is one (inside or outside) better or worse?

That is a fantastic picture by the way.

I think "inside" is better, based on the photo above. But I've been working for a while to get something looking like that in the photo. I think it can be done with brushes that are not too dense and have a decent size knot and more importantly loft. I like smaller brushes and shorter lofts, so that could be my "problem". I may have to add a bigger brush with a high loft to the collection, you know, just for research purposes...

I believe the photo should be a sticky and in all lathering tutorials, as something to strive for. I see a lot of advice that you should practice lathering, but unless you know what you are shooting for, you can practice all you want, it's hard to stumble upon something like that by accident without having seen one before.

Last edited:
I get lather like that frequently...my brushes vary in density. I'm not sure that density is the deal breaker.

It looks like whomever took that photo (and it is a really great photo) just used a ton of product to generate a ton of lather. Not sure if the brush had been different if the lather had been that different.

It looks like whomever took that photo (and it is a really great photo) just used a ton of product to generate a ton of lather. Not sure if the brush had been different if the lather had been that different.

If I'm not mistaken I think that's MdC soap at work and according to Aaron who made the lather and took the photo, it takes very little MdC to get that kind of lather.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my lather. Yes, it is MdC, and yes, I did use more than was really necessary (I had recently bought a full jar of the stuff and that additional surface area compared to the sample i had been using really makes it easier to load the brush). What SirWhiskers didn't mention was that this is what was left in the brush after 3 passes, so essentially what was washed down the drain. Anyway, I guess what I feel this picture demonstrates is lather that is well mixed by the brush.

Nice ambrose. I shaved with my 30mm/52mm Emilion this morning...was a nice shave indeed. With all this talk of stubby's...I may just take out the stubby 33mm/52mm for a spin tomorrow...mine's an older 2-band, more scritchier than the newer, more luxurious feeling 2-band knots he's shipping out.

I'm talking to Lee right now about a 32mm x 50mm Chubby...in a marbled faux ivory...

he also has a faux green onyx available (a 31mm knot would fit in the one he showed me).

Pics upon confirmation...don't you worry.

Top Bottom