What's new

Monkey tail straight

Hello all,

It's been a while since I was last here. Just getting back into the straight razor thing.

I found a monkey tail straight and was wondering how common they were/are. I figure the long tail is just something different.

Please let me know what information you have.

Thanks,

Tim

post a picture.. lets see what kind of shape its in along with maker of it.

monkey tails aren't that common. it isn't any better made razor or better steel but its unique, and thats what they were going for.

i don't have a monkey tail razor yet. i passed one up at a flee market not long ago, thinking back i wish i had picked it up. its different and something i'd like to add to my large collection for that reason.

~J

:huh: I thought the monkey tail was the part of the razor that stuck out the back end of the tang, on the other side of the rivet. You know, the resting place for one's next to last finger. If, however, it describes a strange shape to that part, what are we supposed to call that little curvy resting place for pinky's bigger brother?

curious, Bruce

The monkey tail or trigger is the curved bit at the end of the tang but I think you mean a DePews Patent 1864 (front page of my website) which had a very long tail and a markedly shorter blade - I've tried mine out and the shave is quite different in some ways to a normal razor - much tighter control. I quite like it. :c6:

Here are some pictures of it, with a cactus razor (reconditioned by Bill Ellis) and a quarter for size comparison. The monkey tail razor only has "hand forged" etched on the blade. There are no other names or marks on the blade that I can see ( other than neglect marks).

Tim

I've got a depews too - they're definitely an odd creature. Some sheffield makers also used this type of tail on occasion. And of course the feather replaceable-blade razor has an elongated tail, though not quite as long as the depews.

edit: Just saw the pics. That doesn't look like a depews, but it looks to be from the same genre.

I've got a depews too - they're definitely an odd creature. Some sheffield makers also used this type of tail on occasion. And of course the feather replaceable-blade razor has an elongated tail, though not quite as long as the depews.

edit: Just saw the pics. That doesn't look like a depews, but it looks to be from the same genre.

I agree - not a DePews but very similar. :c6:

I have a rodgers which is not technically a monkey tail but is longer than a normal razor so its inbetween. Personally I don't like it because the shaft is shorter so your hold on the razor is totally different making it feel funny and awkward. I know some really like it but not me.

The DePews are very different as the blade is small in addition to the monkey tail. Almost like a mustache razor. I also have a couple of W&B's and a Wostenholm with extended monkey tails. Can't remember the dates, but these things were only manufactured for around a 10 year window I believe.

Lynn

Top Bottom