What's new

Mongoose B1, B2, B3 versions

Does anyone have experience of the variants of the steel Mongoose? I tried a satin B2 last year and it was really mild feeling but efficient. The B3 I tried yesterday was like a different razor with an uptick in blade feel and definitely not mild. Same finish. Maybe it was the blade. I'll try some other blades as it's hard to believe the angle was wrong given the design of the head. I used a smoothed out proline. I don't remember it being blade specific when I borrowed it with both handles.

I have no problem with the weight of the Mongoose.

Not the shave I was expecting. Blade exposure is definitely positive on this Mongoose.

I tried just about every version of the Mongoose and I found they would vary from razor to razor. The first series that came out, B1 was medium mild. The most aggressive was the aluminum model.

I tried just about every version of the Mongoose and I found they would vary from razor to razor. The first series that came out, B1 was medium mild. The most aggressive was the aluminum model.

Blade alignment is definitely better on the B3. Are you suggesting the manufacturing tolerances aren't as tight as some modern razors? The B2 was so comfortable.

I'm a fan of the Mingoose.

IMG_0607.jpg

I'm about to experience a Mongoose shave, perhaps either Friday or Saturday when Amazon delivers the Feather Professionals.
20240428_134222~2.jpg

20240428_134151~2.jpg

Someone suggested I try the Schick P-30 Proline in this, but it looks like the Feather will be first.

I'm a DE guy and wouldn't normally mess with an SE that takes what are darn near proprietary blades that run like $1.60 a blade, but...when the guy at the flea market said I could have it for $8, I knew I had to try it.

He sold me a red tip Super Speed last year for $5. My guess is he wasn't in to the "Artist Club" scene.

I believe they tried different machine shops to produce the razor, so they got different results.

That would make sense at least.

Don't think I will be re-buying several to find the right one -- unless they go for $8 of course!! The proline blade is normally perfect in just about any AC razor for me.

My experience is different from yours. I've tried a B2 version, 2 Alumigoose and a Mingoose. B2 was more aggressve than Alumigoose, a bit more than I prefer. Mingoose shaved just like B2. aggressive and a bit harsh. 2 Alumgoose were in the range of mid and gave me comfortable shave.

Shave #2 was much better with a Kai pink blade but still not as smooth as the B2 I borrowed.

It's entirely possible, some may even say likely, that the blade was misaligned first time round. I remember adjusting the alignment of blades with the B2 and the Mingoose sometimes.

Where can I purchase these fine razors?

If I understand correctly, the B2 is more aggressive than the B1 version!?

Mongoose is no longer in business and hasn't been for a number of years.

BST is the only option. I have only tried the B2 and B3 versions.

The B1 and B2 had much shorter pins on the cap. I think yours is a B3 as the pins go right through the baseplate, like my Mingoose.

This is the B2 I borrowed:

Mongoose B2 2.jpeg
Mongoose B2 3.jpeg

My B3 Mongoose

IMG_0118.jpg

Last edited:
These repeated mentions of a "Mingoose" are also mysterious. Perhaps a lighter weight Mongoose is meant by that?

I'm actually sitting on my porch, beer in hand, waiting for the Amazon truck to pull up with those Feather AC Professionals so I can try out this $8 baby.

Mingoose is the injector format version of the AC Mongoose. It's much smaller and lighter with the shorter blade.

Like the Asylum RX and the Asylum injector it's a scaled down version.

I'm about to experience a Mongoose shave, perhaps either Friday or Saturday when Amazon delivers the Feather Professionals.
View attachment 1839163
View attachment 1839164
Someone suggested I try the Schick P-30 Proline in this, but it looks like the Feather will be first.

I'm a DE guy and wouldn't normally mess with an SE that takes what are darn near proprietary blades that run like $1.60 a blade, but...when the guy at the flea market said I could have it for $8, I knew I had to try it.

He sold me a red tip Super Speed last year for $5. My guess is he wasn't in to the "Artist Club" scene.
I like the Schick P-30 or the Kai Captain blade in my Mongoose SS.
I like the Mongoose as it is an AC safety razor that can handle the hole variations in the Schick P-30 blades that prevent me from using those blades in other safety razors with tighter tolerances.
I use the PAA Flare Tip handle or the Razorock Haloed UFO handle instead of the Dr. Bomber handle that came with my Mongoose.
I usually use this combination for 2-3 day's growth.

Last edited:
I like the Schick P-30 or the Kai Captain blade in my Mongoose SS.
I like the Mongoose as it is an AC safety razor that can handle the hole variations in the Schick P-30 blades that prevent me from using those blades in other safety razors with tighter tolerances.
I use the PAA Flare Tip handle or the Razorock Haloed UFO handle instead of the Dr. Bomber handle that came with my Mongoose.
I usually use this combination for 2-3 day's growth.
Used mine this morning with a Feather Professional. I enjoyed the experience, but the width and other differences from a DE will take adjustment.

After my late breakfast I'm going back to that vendor for an Injectomatic and maybe a Schick as well.

B2 was the mildest.
Thank's! A friend who had the Mingoose told me it's not worth buying even used because this single edge razor uses the short Schick/Personna injectors not the Kai/Feather 5 cm, and the blade also contributes to the performance to the performance to get a great shave.

I apologize if you have already written this and I missed reading it: what is the difference between Mingoose and Moongose?
My friend recommended other types similar to the Mongoose or Cobra.

Top Bottom