What's new

mmmmm... Saddleback!

Nice-looking briefcase.

Seems like it might be a better choice than ther "classic" briefcase for daily commuting, unless you have to carry a lot of stuff every day. The slim also has a more professional appearance, IMHO.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As the owner of a "large" slim briefcase, and a lot of legal files, I'll confirm that they fit in just fine.

I also own an "XL" regular briefcase ... and quite frankly, I prefer the slim. Here's why: the regular briefcase is essentially designed to be carried in an "A-frame" shape, with the front and back tapering from a wide base up to a narrower top; if you fill it as full as possible ... so that from the side the ends appear rectangular rather than triangular ... the handle is too far toward the back, and it does not hand straight up and down when carried by the handle. You either have to carry it with the buckle rubbing against your leg, or with the bottom rear seam digging into the side of your calf. The slim, on the other hand, is designed to always be a rectangle, and to hang vertically when carried, whether loaded or empty.

On the "leaning forward" thing ... I use my slim a lot. I think because of the extra layer of leather on the back (to make an open exterior slim pocket), the back has more structural strength than the front; the front seams have collapsed a bit, and not the back, so I have to lean the front of the briefcase against something or else it'll fall over. I don't mind at all. I have yet to use my 'regular' enough for a good comment on how it will perform in this regard.

One other note ... there is a lot of shiny metal hardware on these. Each end has five bright, shiny D-rings (three at the top and two at the bottom) and when you add in the big O-ring behind the handle, you end up with eleven "punk rocker piercings" on this baby. Now, two D-rings and the O-ring are needed for the backpack conversion, and two other D-rings are needed for the shoulder strap ... but I count six superfluous D-rings ... and when you toss those on top of all the "needed" ones ... it may be a bit much depending on personal preferences.

(Personally, I bought the 'slim' as a cycling-commute briefcase, so I don't mind ... and actually NEED ... some of the rings for the backpack conversion. I almost look forward to cycling in the rain, so I can get to work on that patina. :innocent:)

Johnniegold asked for interior pics of the bag. Reminder--this is the Large Thin Briefcase and is 17" wide. I've attached 3 pictures--one taken from each side and one with more detail of the interior pocket/keystrap side. I included my laptop and padfolio for reference. The laptop is 13" long x 1.25" thick, and the padfolio is 12.5" long x 1" thick. The front section has a couple of black items that really don't show up well (cable bag and sunglass case). The interior pocket has a small first aid kit, mini Moleskine Volant, lip balm, ear plugs, small sticky notes, business cards, and a few other items. I've got a total of 5 pens, mech pencils, and a highlighter in the side pen pockets. There is plenty of room on either side of the laptop/padfolio, or a lot if I slide them to one side or the other. I can also easily stand both the laptop and padfolio on end should I need to, and there is also much more room in the front section should I need to carry additional items.

I hope this serves your needs. One of the other things I feel these pics show is the detail of the bags and seams, along with the strength of the stress points on the bag.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

:ouch1: :ouch1: :ouch1:

So, it's settled then.

Glad we could be of assistance. For reference, my padfolio uses normal size legal pads (8.5" x 11"). As Doc4 indicated, legal files will fit just fine. This size seems perfect for me.

Cheers!

Love to see pics of real world saddleback bags. I would love to get one, and have been eyeing them for months. Unfortunately they are far out of my price range. They are well built and beautiful to look at however!

On the Saddleback thin briefcase, there’s obviously no zipper, and it seems that when the bag is closed there is a space between the flap and the top of the interior compartment. If you are carrying it in the rain, does water get in there?

Thanks.

On the Saddleback thin briefcase, there’s obviously no zipper, and it seems that when the bag is closed there is a space between the flap and the top of the interior compartment. If you are carrying it in the rain, does water get in there?

Thanks.

I haven't had to carry it in the rain yet (less than one week old), but I can say that when strapped down, the flap has a good amount of overhang above the interior. It seals up, about an inch of overlap on each side. Of course, of things being carried cause the flap to not come down all the way to the top of that bag, that would create a space, but as deep as this thing is, I don't see that being a problem.

I haven't had to carry it in the rain yet (less than one week old), but I can say that when strapped down, the flap has a good amount of overhang above the interior. It seals up, about an inch of overlap on each side. Of course, of things being carried cause the flap to not come down all the way to the top of that bag, that would create a space, but as deep as this thing is, I don't see that being a problem.

Thanks.

This briefcase certainly merits serious consideration. I'm looking for something professional but still cool-looking, that would work casually too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Mine doesn't have quite the same overhang. IMHO if you were considering carrying this on a long walk in a heavy rain, you could expect a bit of seepage, especially if the rain is coming down at an angle. I don't think that's unique to Saddleback, but more typical of that particular style of briefcase design.

Mine doesn't have quite the same overhang. IMHO if you were considering carrying this on a long walk in a heavy rain, you could expect a bit of seepage, especially if the rain is coming down at an angle. I don't think that's unique to Saddleback, but more typical of that particular style of briefcase design.

I agree, it is a function of the style rather than the brand.

It's not a huge concern of mine, but since I've never had this style of briefcase I thought I'd ask.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Somewhat disconcerting. Go to 2:20 of the video. The dreaded lean forward. Is it unavoidable? I guess I'd rather pay for a Saddleback than a Mitchell if its inevitable. Perhaps a Maxwell Scott. They don't seem too shabby either. I like when he says "a multi-thousand" dollar deal. (5:40) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
His looks like an extreme example, almost as if he keeps his laptop in the back and nothing in the front, and stored it that way for some time.. Of course, the extra leather on the back to make the external pocket will make the back more rigid, but I've found by keeping a few things in the front pocket (computer cable when my laptop is plugged into the docking station at work, etc.) keep the front rigid and prevent the "leaning".

That other bag was very nice, although it wouldn't necessarily fit my style (whatever that may be for a bald, slightly overweight 44 year old claims office manager-dude with a wife, dog, teenage kids and mortgage, generally living the dream...).

Cheers!

As an aside, I find it amusing when I read reviews or articles about Saddleback that talk about the "100 year warranty" as if it’s not a gimmick. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they're a fine outfit that stands by their products, but unless they’re warranted for 100 years themselves, the bags aren't either.

The way I look at it, it's a testament to the build quality of the bag, no different than the warranties that companies like LLBean or others have with their lifetime warranties. Honestly, I don't see how normal use will ever break down the Saddleback briefcase as long as I do my part in taking care of the leather like I would with a good pair of boots. This thing is rediculously overengineered, IMHO.

Cheers!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
As an aside, I find it amusing when I read reviews or articles about Saddleback that talk about the "100 year warranty" as if it’s not a gimmick. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure they're a fine outfit that stands by their products, but unless they’re warranted for 100 years themselves, the bags aren't either.

98 years from now, when my Saddleback briefcase finally wears out and falls apart, I doubt that my great-grand-son will bother checking to see if they are still in business to get a refund. But it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about the bag being "out of warranty" if I have a problem with it.

Sure thing, Obsessed...

3 weeks in now, and I'm still in love with this bag. The first weekend I had the bag, I really worked the leather to break it in while watching a couple of EPL soccer games. That made a huge difference. The bag is certainly heavier than my well worn 15 year old Lands End leather trimmed canvas attache, but it carries really well. I could have probably gotten away with the medium bag instead of the large, but there have been a couple of times where the larger size came in handy. Lots of compliments and a couple of converts who have gone out and made Saddleback purchases.

Here's a couple of poor quality on the fly first-generation iPhone pics I took tonight before posting this 3 week review:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom